OT: 51st Obsequious Banter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I know the answer seems obvious, and I'm 90% yes, but would it even be worth winning a billion dollars? They publish your name, you're likely to become a target of leeches, friends, and "family" trying to get their mitts on the winnings. I would share with many people as much as possible, but for a lot, it'd never be enough. They'd expect something from you.

I'm still yes, but it'd be extremely tough. I'd need to go off the grid for a while just to avoid the initial harassment.

Wouldn't care about harassment. The first thing I'd shut down is facebook. I'm really close with my family on my Dad's side I'd probably toss everyone a couple of bucks there, a select few really good friends and then I'd be done with it. I'm investing, I'm putting myself through school and that's the end of it, what I do after that is mine. I already don't answer my phone so whatever on that.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lindros on the cover.

I remember getting that game on black Friday the year it came out and sitting on the couch for literally a day playing the game.

That was the NHL game I played most of every one I have ever owned...

So sad about Bowie... and I don't usually get sad about 'celebs' dying... but as JDinkalage said music is somehow different. Maybe because a lot of musicians are still amazing and active right up until the day they die... whereas celebs from other fields are generally not really as active as they age.

I was devastated for example when Ray Charles, John Lee Hooker & Joe Strummer died within like a year of each other... I was maybe ~10-11 and they were three of my favourite musicians... I always kind of held out hope I would see them live as I got older. I was only 4 when Dean Martin died and apparently cried for fays when I found out!

And Bowie always kind of seemed like some immortal, ethereal being, very bizarre knowing he is no more.

Well... at least he will be re-united with Mick Ronson now if you believe that kind of stuff. One of my personal guitar heroes and such a big part of Bowie's music for a long time.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Wouldn't care about harassment. The first thing I'd shut down is facebook. I'm really close with my family on my Dad's side I'd probably toss everyone a couple of bucks there, a select few really good friends and then I'd be done with it. I'm investing, I'm putting myself through school and that's the end of it, what I do after that is mine. I already don't answer my phone so whatever on that.

Shutting down FB is a must, but I feel like it'd be harder than that. This is all under the thought that the state has to declare who the winner is, of course. If not, I'd tell no one.

Maybe it's the paranoid psycho in me, but you gotta think that someone kidnapping or attempting to hold you hostage with that ridiculous sum of money is possible. I mean, I know this isn't Mexico (where I've heard this happening) but things have happened to celebrities who likely have less money.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Shutting down FB is a must, but I feel like it'd be harder than that. This is all under the thought that the state has to declare who the winner is, of course. If not, I'd tell no one.

Maybe it's the paranoid psycho in me, but you gotta think that someone kidnapping or attempting to hold you hostage with that ridiculous sum of money is possible. I mean, I know this isn't Mexico (where I've heard this happening) but things have happened to celebrities who likely have less money.

What I would do with 1 billion:

Give ~100k each to like ~20 of my closest friends and tell them flat out they were never getting any-more.

Buy my own Island... probably in Denmark/Sweden/Finland.
Also have apartments in: Manchester, UK, Utrecht, NL, Ghent, BE, Barcelona, ES, Cadiz, ES, Rome, IT & Philly. Nothing extravagant, just say 2 bed in decent areas.

Live on my island.
Maybe buy an SHL team.... or an Allsvenkan team instead and make them great!
Write about hockey.
Get my PhD from wherever I chose. Mwahaha!
Do mixed-method Criminological studies on whatever took my fancy.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

haha to be honest. I'd make very few lifestyle changes. I'd quit my job and just go to school full time instead of working full time school part time. I'd live in the same house drive the same car. And really just settle in. I'd do a similar thing to Appleyard. Give money to close relatives and friends and make it crystal clear that that was going to be it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I wouldn't spend hardly any of it. Sit on interest. I may buy an apartment somewhere nice so 1) The majority of things are taken care of 2) It already has wealthy people in it + security and 3) to avoid people falling on my lawn and taking me to civil court constantly

This culture sucks

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Don't publish who you are if you become a billionaire? But how would all the gold diggers know I'm rich then?? Y'all need to think this thru. Start by buying the Playboy mansion and go from there

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That amount of money for 1 person/ family is just insane. Having 1300 people each getting 1 million $ would make so much more sense.

Of course, I am Canadian and our lotto's never come close to this. Up here, 50 million is a big one.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It's truly a marvel that we live in a world where a rock legend like David Bowie can pass away and we have the technology to figure out who he is, listen to a couple songs, and then mourn together on social media.

Jokes aside, it's pretty strange how people accessorize their grief now on social media. Make it all about you!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, my FB feed is practically a mourning contest.

Its not entirely unique to social media. Mourning in Rome in the 3rd century BC got pretty pit of hand, with families doing what they could to show they were more bereaved than anybody else had ever been, even hiring professional mourners. Mourning limits were instituted by Quintus Fabius Maximus following the brutal, disastrous defeat at Cannae because all the wailing as everyone tried to outdo each other was just way too much.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Boy do I love this post going around on social media:

powerball-lottery-re-size.jpg

It's hilarious to see the people that post it and don't bother to actually check and know that it would give each person $4.33, yep four dollars and thirty three cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad