GDT: #51| Philidelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | January 20th | 1:00pm | F/SOW 4-3

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Kevin Schultz ‏@Schultz88 8m
#Isles 5 points out of playoff spot with win but beware; Detroit and Columbus each have three games in hand.

scott99

May 13, 2005
And the year before in college. Two of the best stories of this season, Brock and CDH.

Someone mentioned he looks like one of the Staal brothers out there, and I agree. He has good offensive talent and excellent hockey sense. Very similar to the Staals.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Get to .500 before Olympics and then we are going to get Vis, Nabby, Strome, and most likely Hamonic back.

IF we can somehow hold on until the Olympic break and come back after with everyone healthy, I would not count this team out.

Vanek - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Nelson - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald
x-Regin; Boulton

CdH - Hamonic
Hickey - Visnovsky
MacDonald - Strait
x - Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin

Not a bad full lineup. As long as Nabby plays like the Nabby during last year's push/pre-2nd injury this year.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Okposo now with 49 points in 50 games. On pace for 33 goals. Good thing we didn't trade him for a bag of pucks a year ago, huh?

I went to an Islander's/Rangers game last March, and Okposo and Bailey were so bad, I was ready to trade both for a bag of pucks. Okposo's career changed in that playoff series last year.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
An upgrade in net would make me feel much better about our slim chances. Justin Peters, Frederik Andersen, James Reimer... some one.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
IF we can somehow hold on until the Olympic break and come back after with everyone healthy, I would not count this team out.

Vanek - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Nelson - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald
x-Regin; Boulton

CdH - Hamonic
Hickey - Visnovsky
MacDonald - Strait
x - Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin

Not a bad full lineup. As long as Nabby plays like the Nabby during last year's push/pre-2nd injury this year.

Not bad. i think you might see Hickey and Vis and the bottom pair. Possibly shelter vis a bit...play him on the top unit.

goaltending is everything for us...poulin and nabby have to be in top form

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Yeah, that's the key thing. Hold out/get a bit closer and then make a big run with a hopefully full lineup. Today was huge - making a 3 point swing against a divisional rival in the last period after it appeared they were going to lose.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Before Camper comes in and mentions it - in the start of the OT Tavares was left on the ice by Cappy for 1:30, and it was a very active 1:30 with contact and as the lead forechecker. He was absolutely dead at the end which if he had gotten trapped in the defensive zone becomes the equivalent of a 4 on 3. It is simply stupid, and saps him of energy for upcoming shifts as well.

As for the win, the good news is they came back but not without a key amount of luck. The Flyers had enough good opportunities to salt the game away in the second one or two other moments, like the no-see save by Nilsson... This is not progress I am personally looking for. The other thing that blows is they gave up a point to one of the teams they are competing against for the 8th playoff slot. I would also mention that if not for Steve Downie being a really big idiot (he is 100% the goat for Philly tonight) Philly wins this game.

One other note: If an Islander put on the little stick slamming performance Downie did when he was penalized I have no doubt he would have gotten an unsportsmanlike. How come Downie didn't get 2-2 min penalties? This league needs to improve its officiating because there is zero consistency, and too many dictator-types in stripes.

Last edited:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
It's funny how these games go. I was shocked on numerous occassions not to see the puck in behind emery. "the bounces" come and "the bounces" go.

*** TOI management - absolutely ridiculous - no joke.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The way I see it, we were on life support going into this game and managed not to flat line. I'd like to see us discharged from the hospital, then I'll feel good about a playoff spot. Till then, I will continue to support and make visits when there permitted. :help:Doctor!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Before Camper comes in and mentions it - in the start of the OT Tavares was left on the ice by Cappy for 1:30, and it was a very active 1:30 with contact and as the lead forechecker. He was absolutely dead at the end which if he had gotten trapped in the offensive zone becomes the equivalent of a 4 on 3. It is simply stupid, and saps him of energy for upcoming shifts as well.

As for the win, the good news is they came back but not without a key amount of luck. The Flyers had enough good opportunities to salt the game away in the second one or two other moments, like the no-see save by Nilsson... This is not progress I am personally looking for. The other thing that blows is they gave up a point to one of the teams they are competing against for the 8th playoff slot. I would also mention that if not for Steve Downie being a really big idiot (he is 100% the goat for Philly tonight) Philly wins this game.

One other note: If an Islander put on the little stick slamming performance Downie did when he was penalized I have no doubt he would have gotten an unsportsmanlike. How come Downie didn't get 2-2 min penalties? This league needs to improve its officiating because there is zero consistency, and too many dictator-types in stripes.

Which is fine, considering how lucky Philly was on Saturday(spear to Okposo: no call and Philly scoring a goal shortly after; waved off JT goal on goaltender "interference"). Say what you want about how the Isles played in that 3rd period, the fact is it really shouldn't of mattered. Bad luck? Sure. I just think we were due for some good luck today.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I was on the edge of my seat at the coli all game..honestly we played like **** and are lucky as he'll to have gotten the win. Ps vanek has looked like a lazy piece of **** the past few games he needs to get his act together

Snapshotgoal

Feb 17, 2013
Tampa FL
Okposo now with 49 points in 50 games. On pace for 33 goals. Good thing we didn't trade him for a bag of pucks a year ago, huh?

So true.... I remember saying last year in the regular season that I would trade him for a bag of pucks. I was completely wrong. I'm glad he proved me wrong, he's on fire!

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Just finished the game - huge win and one of the most exciting games of the season. Another huge 3rd period comeback.

Very impressed with the boys dominating the 2nd and 3rd periods, outchancing the Flyers by a lot.

Still alive, phew.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
cappys first timeout of the season

Fixed that for you! (Not strictly true, but seems like an age since I saw our coach call one last...)

Really wasn't expecting any points from this one. We can't keep playing catch up hockey and expect to get anywhere. Looks like we are in for a slow death to the season...unless we can have some of this 100% effort whilst holding a lead.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Before Camper comes in and mentions it - in the start of the OT Tavares was left on the ice by Cappy for 1:30, and it was a very active 1:30 with contact and as the lead forechecker. He was absolutely dead at the end which if he had gotten trapped in the defensive zone becomes the equivalent of a 4 on 3. It is simply stupid, and saps him of energy for upcoming shifts as well.

Lets not blame this on Cappy.

Tavares has had this bad habit his whole life. You'll see it in the Olympics as well. Okposo has the same bad habit, as does Vanek. Its bad news quite often.

But what are you going to do? Bench your first line. I'm positive they've been told a million times.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Lets not blame this on Cappy.

Tavares has had this bad habit his whole life. You'll see it in the Olympics as well. Okposo has the same bad habit, as does Vanek. Its bad news quite often.

But what are you going to do? Bench your first line. I'm positive they've been told a million times.

They tend to do it more when trailing, which honestly makes sense when you think about it. I'm sure they understand that there is maybe a 1% chance of any other line scoring a goal.

I agree though, they need to get a handle on their shifts. Hopefully finding some consistent secondary scoring will help(Brock/Frans).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad