GDT: #51| Philidelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | January 20th | 1:00pm | F/SOW 4-3

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I had to work today so DVRD the game. Didnt get it all my DVR stopped recording with about 5 minutes left. Doesnt matter because when we let the Flyers score SH I FF through everything. I'm glad we won but let me tell you was EXTREMELY disappointed with the way they played. Extremely disappointed. They played like they didnt give 2 craps.

Nilsson played bad. Pretty much everybody else played a solid game throughout. Just because the score was 3-1 at one point did not mean that on-ice play was basically even. And the ice in the third was significantly tilted towards the Islanders.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Thanks guys! From what it seems like, Isles won a game that they shouldn't have won? Or an ugly win, I'm watching highlights now, but they don't do much justice all the time. Disappointed to hear that Nilsson played bad, goaltending is a huge issue.

We're 5 points out but that can ultimately become 11 with the games in hand. Isles gotta beat the Rangers tomorrow, a huge game. Sucks Philly got 3 out of 4 points from us.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This isn't rec league. This is JT, he's the anointed one. I know we like to think of him as a god, but he has a giant ego on his head. And this is one way that ego manifests itself. JT didn't keep his shifts normal for Gordon either, or Pat Quinn, or probably his junior coaches as well. This is a chronic problem for him, and because he is who he is, he gets away with it. Its going to happen in the Olympics as well. If it doesn't, its not because of Babcock, its going to be because he's no longer the go to guy. That's the only reason. But my guess is that it will happen in the Olympics as well. Does that mean that Babcock can't exert his authority as well?

Look back at the WHC's and Tavares knew his place on those teams, he'll know his place on the Olympic team.

I understand your argument and I can agree with you to a point, but JT has earned some leeway. Maybe if the rest of the players on the team were able to do something then maybe he'd do a better job of controlling his shifts. He is definitely guilty of trying too hard and I see that as a contributing factor because he's literally been on an Island up until this year.

If the 1st line doesn't produce, we don't win. We have no secondary scoring and everyone knows it, including JT. We are already in desperation mode as every point counts. He's a new Captain and he's 23, he needs to grow into that. I will give him the benefit of the doubt right now. When the team around him improves and the team takes the next step to contention, then you can evaluate if it's still a problem.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
A friend of mine who is a fan of the Rangers is selling her tickets to me for tomorrow night's game, and it's going to be my first Islanders-Rangers game at Madison Square Garden. I'm debating whether I should wear my Nielsen jersey or go incognito (I'm a puny guy, so scrapping isn't my thing).

I should also note that I've attended four Islanders games this year, all losses (shootout loss to the lowly Sabres, loss to the Rangers, overtime loss to the Canadiens, loss on the road to the Panthers). Any suggestions for a sacrifice I can make to please the hockey gods and turn my luck around (besides sacrificing myself, of course!)?

PW didn't take a **** before those games though. You'll be fine :laugh:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I was on the edge of my seat at the coli all game..honestly we played like **** and are lucky as he'll to have gotten the win. Ps vanek has looked like a lazy piece of **** the past few games he needs to get his act together

I was thinking the same thing about vanek.. was wondering if something is wrong with him. he looked to be playing in slow motion for much of the game, with no jump at all.. he just looked off for much of the game..

NYCoolRunner

Apr 8, 2011
A friend of mine who is a fan of the Rangers is selling her tickets to me for tomorrow night's game, and it's going to be my first Islanders-Rangers game at Madison Square Garden. I'm debating whether I should wear my Nielsen jersey or go incognito (I'm a puny guy, so scrapping isn't my thing).

I am in the same boat that it's my first Isles Rangers game at MSG. I've been to a few at the bar on though. Definitely come in your jersey, we need to be seen!

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

I should also note that I've attended four Islanders games this year, all losses (shootout loss to the lowly Sabres, loss to the Rangers, overtime loss to the Canadiens, loss on the road to the Panthers). Any suggestions for a sacrifice I can make to please the hockey gods and turn my luck around (besides sacrificing myself, of course!)?

Same here brotha. Tomorrow will be my first isles game not at the coliseum, so I'm excited as he'll also. I'll be rocking the royal Tavares and if someone starts I'll end it :P

MaryChristine*

What a sweet ass win... talk about total vindication for Okposo!

camper*

Before Camper comes in and mentions it - in the start of the OT Tavares was left on the ice by Cappy for 1:30, and it was a very active 1:30 with contact and as the lead forechecker. He was absolutely dead at the end which if he had gotten trapped in the defensive zone becomes the equivalent of a 4 on 3. It is simply stupid, and saps him of energy for upcoming shifts as well.

As for the win, the good news is they came back but not without a key amount of luck. The Flyers had enough good opportunities to salt the game away in the second one or two other moments, like the no-see save by Nilsson... This is not progress I am personally looking for. The other thing that blows is they gave up a point to one of the teams they are competing against for the 8th playoff slot. I would also mention that if not for Steve Downie being a really big idiot (he is 100% the goat for Philly tonight) Philly wins this game.

One other note: If an Islander put on the little stick slamming performance Downie did when he was penalized I have no doubt he would have gotten an unsportsmanlike. How come Downie didn't get 2-2 min penalties? This league needs to improve its officiating because there is zero consistency, and too many dictator-types in stripes.

Once one becomes acclimated at what to look for….its not very difficult to see why there are so many ups and downs in Isles play..win/losses….the ten points or so that went up in smoke…..when games were lost at the the end of 3rd periods alone when winning…due to this overplayed//tired TOI thing would have the team in a playoff position. I had serious doubts the team is/was as bad as record suggested.

They seem to understand this is a Marathon…..yet keep running the race like a 100 yd dash:laugh:

With all the D and tending woes its not hard to look past this TOI thing…I do see a disgust in your post concerning this matter also…..its simple 101 stuff…that should have been corrected long ago…every one step forward ends up being two steps back over what should be a simple adjustment,:nod: Frankly I was starting to doubt what I was seeing also…..am glad a few prods ….also brought out the coach in you…..since its next to impossible to win consistently in this manner…..magnified by the heavy sched. of late…….You're on the hook on this Vanek thing tho….be watching closely……lol

Next consistent problem is the inability to ice the teams physicality…once again folded into the TOI thing…. 1st period play shows the team was in the game when it existed….a second period showed a deep cut in TOI(physicality)..the game was next to lost at this point(everyones top 9 play is more physical than ours)…for some reason(3rd per.) the same physicality was upped to some degree(due to TOI) and the team found a way. More a case Philly understood…an "eye for an eye". The bean counters and their new found Corsi woody's need a closer look at stats that matter….dominate physical play…..and i'm not talking the ankle bitting efforts of smaller hitters that are not a real threat to opponent safety..tho even these help. Record to date shows this…its for all to check….TOI and physical play go hand in hand in Isles winning efforts…yet that woody for another goal rears its ugly head.

P.S…always enjoy swapp'in spit with a true hockey mind with a flair few have…it keeps it interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad