Post-Game Talk: #51 | FLYERS at Devils | Thu., Feb. 1, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
dont value scoring? that makes no sense. the PK sucks. maybe they dont value killing penalties is what you meant.

Teams actually score short handed while on the PK. I know it maybe be a foreign concept as the Flyers are one of the worst teams on that front since Hakstol took over. That pretty much aligns with every other scoring metric in that time frame. Hakstol’s the most risk averse coach I’ve even seen in my life.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
dont value scoring? that makes no sense. the PK sucks. maybe they dont value killing penalties is what you meant.

EDIT: They dont push for scoring because its a passive PK. They really dont attack anyone with the puck. they rely on shot blocking and positioning(which obviously is not working) only way they get the SHG is pure luck off a bad bounce.

I absolutely failed at getting stats to back up my perception, but the Flyers PK tends to be a tale of two cities. Well, I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with 'city', but ...

A Couturier-led PK appears to be relatively efficient and successful in clears and even pressure in the offensive zone. It all seems to go to pot when the B team takes the ice. Plus, wasn't the Laviolette-coached PK the model of aggressiveness that still got routinely roasted? In the games I have seen, the PK1 limits primo chances, and PK2 just tees them up.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Teams actually score short handed while on the PK. I know it maybe be a foreign concept as the Flyers are one of the worst teams on that front since Hakstol took over. That pretty much aligns with every other scoring metric in that time frame. Hakstol’s the most risk averse coach I’ve even seen in my life.

We should know all too well about SH goals, since the Flyers have given up so many.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We should know all too well about SH goals, since the Flyers have given up so many.

You can take advantage of the opposing PP but it actually requires not sending stiffs out there & sitting back & sending pucks off the glass all the time.

But this is the same coach that tries to safeguard a 3v3 OT period. So expecting him to understand that is asking for too much.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

it isnt all on Hakstol. he isnt a good coach, but Lappy may be a worst assistant coach than Hakstol is a head coach if that makes any sense.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I absolutely failed at getting stats to back up my perception, but the Flyers PK tends to be a tale of two cities. Well, I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with 'city', but ...

A Couturier-led PK appears to be relatively efficient and successful in clears and even pressure in the offensive zone. It all seems to go to pot when the B team takes the ice. Plus, wasn't the Laviolette-coached PK the model of aggressiveness that still got routinely roasted? In the games I have seen, the PK1 limits primo chances, and PK2 just tees them up.

I dont have the PK numbers from that far back. Some of the SHG allowed may have been in part to the minor league goaltending they were sending out most nights.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
You can take advantage of the opposing PP but it actually requires not sending stiffs out there & sitting back & sending pucks off the glass all the time.

But this is the same coach that tries to safeguard a 3v3 OT period. So expecting him to understand that is asking for too much.

Oh, absolutely. It also requires mental alertness and physical speed to quickly transition to offense. And as you alluded to, it also requires spatial awareness and good passing skill. I loved the segment the announcers highlighted in the game against Washington, when Provorov (!) outraced a Capital to the corner for a loose puck in such a way that he was in a position to see the ice and find a safe lane to clear the puck. Had there been a streaking forward, Provorov had positioning to attempt a pass. No blind swing or flipping off the glass to maybe clear the zone.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
it isnt all on Hakstol. he isnt a good coach, but Lappy may be a worst assistant coach than Hakstol is a head coach if that makes any sense.

Lappy takes blame. He’s a moron who should have been gone even before this season. But when you see overall cowardice in every facet of the game it’s tough not to access it on Hakstol too.

Hextall deserves blame as well if you really want to go full circle. He’s cut from the same cloth as these guys.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's obvious from your obtuse user name spelling that you fail the 'i' test.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Last night was a tough game to swallow. They really played better than the Devils most of the night. Tough game by Lyon. There will only ever be one #49 in my mind in Philly.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Lappy takes blame. He’s a moron who should have been gone even before this season. But when you see overall cowardice in every facet of the game it’s tough not to access it on Hakstol too.

Hextall deserves blame as well if you really want to go full circle. He’s cut from the same cloth as these guys.

I wont argue that point. I said it after last year many times I wanted the entire coaching staff canned.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just can’t get over how with the penalty kill in free fall last night, or in general really, the PK Brain Trust actually began starting PKs with Flip and Jori. It went as well as we thought. Two of your visibly slowest worst players who can’t cover lanes, who get cratered in shots against (PK too!), and who let in an obscene number of goals short handed, as in the worst on the team, not only are your de facto #2 unit......but you promote them in game to the #1 unit, as if their veteran veteranness will be some penalty killing Deus ex machina.

We are dealing with special breeds of coaches here, folks. Special breeds. Put them in a f***ing exhibit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The goalies are too big, too athletic, too positional sound, etc. across that board now a days that you’re not seeing many sniping. You’re not overpowering them anymore as they did back in the day. Perimeter goal scoring is becoming less & less of a thing. Look at any top goal scorer in the league at shot & goal locations it’s closer to the net in what they call the danger area.

For the Flyers the last time they were consistently a good team outside of one elite goal scoring season by Carter they did it by scoring depth.

Which is the reason for the "low high" game that a lot of teams use.

If you don't have exceptional shooters (which we don't, Konecny isn't in the same class as Boeser, for example) then you need to get traffic in front of the net, fire the puck on net and either get it through a screen or put in a rebound. I'd bet we're in the bottom half of scoring on open shots in the league.

As far as Lehtera on the PK, well, he sucks, but so does everyone else, I mean in a SSS 64% or 75% - bring back VdV! (just kidding, I think).

I think Lehtera and Manning playing has nothing to do with favorites, and everything to do with Hextall wanting to keep his prospects in the AHL as long as possible before he has to commit to them. He's seen Weal and Laughton struggle, Sanheim look lost - there is just a huge gap between Provorov's ice awareness and Sanheim. And that tells you how he values player development v this season (which the Schenn trade proclaimed loud and clear) - he's rather lose this year and have his young players better prepared to start next year.

I've been saying for two years that next year is when we clear out most of the scrubs, and the job will be finished in 2019-20.
Nothing has happened to cause me to modify that opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad