Post-Game Talk: #51: FLYERS 3 at Bruins 2 (OT), Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Jack Edwards has many detractors but listening to him call the Sanheim goal with enthusiasm, as opposed to JJ's opponent goal calls like his dog has just been shot, is laudable. He is a fan of hockey as well as being a (paid) Bruins supporter.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Jack Edwards has many detractors but listening to him call the Sanheim goal with enthusiasm, as opposed to JJ's opponent goal calls like his dog has just been shot, is laudable. He is a fan of hockey as well as being a (paid) Bruins supporter.

That's cool and all, and I do enjoy those moments, but during the course of a game...

When Couturier got lit up early, and then Lindblom tagged in from being offside and tripped over Couturier while reaching for the puck, his call was basically "YAWLAEH AND LINBLAHM COMES IN LOOKING FOR TROUBLE NOT EVEN TRYING TO GO FOR THE PUCK AND HE GETS SPILLED TOO!@!@AHSA"

Like, it's not even just homerism, he's just constantly constructing this false reality and literally calling things that are not happening. I find that unenjoyable.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
She ate a baby.

I mean, had. Had a baby.

....for dinner.
That's funny, well done.

The original comment critiquing her appearance, that's gauche. Right and wrong way to poke fun at people.

I for one, last night, was impressed and stunned by the rare three collar combo (button down, sweater with neck zipper, sports coat) worn by Barkann. I wish he had popped all three, it would have been f***ing gloriously epic. I am a fan of his blue rimmed glasses.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Gordon isnt the answer behind the bench but it appears this group really likes playing for him
New idea, crazy talk stuff that will likely never work.

Retain Gordon as an assistant, maybe Wilson as well, fire Knob and Lappy, go out and hire a real coach.

Gordon remains for next year, or maybe two, then himself tries to get a new NHL job. Wilson only stays employed as long as he wants a job/Fletch needs eyes and ears in the dressing room to get caught up to speed.

Ideally this would be for younger hire coach like Keefe, instead of an established guy like Q. /alcohol

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Not sure it's a good look for a coach with roughly 200 games of NHL experience to be calling out a player with 20 years and nearly 1500 games worth of experience in the media.
Those that can't do, teach. There's a reason they are positioned and dressed as such where they are on the bench.

Not that I agree with him, or the tactic, but Cassidy dropped two pts to an inferior team, and he's in competition with the bolts and leafs. I understand his nervousness. Whether it works out, go figure.

But to cop the, 'he wasn't a successful player, how can he coach' trope is just lazy. Wayne Gretzky & Patrick Roy /discussion

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That's funny, well done.

The original comment critiquing her appearance, that's gauche. Right and wrong way to poke fun at people.

I for one, last night, was impressed and stunned by the rare three collar combo (button down, sweater with neck zipper, sports coat) worn by Barkann. I wish he had popped all three, it would have been ****ing gloriously epic. I am a fan of his blue rimmed glasses.

Yeah I usually don't pick people apart on their looks, or at least, not seriously, anyway. If Amy ate a baby, I ate two or three, so it's simply in 'good fun' kinda terms.

I've noticed the glasses recently too. I just don't think I can pull it off. I'm not 'over the top' enough to do anything but standard blacks and grays for my frames.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I blame myself, and I blame this board.

If only we had suggested that Hak play the yutes,

we could have saved his NHL coaching career!

iu

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim hasn't look so great on the first line, not nearly as good as he did playing sheltered minutes with Gudas, how people like to exaggerate. Sanheim is a work in progress but he's far from top pair quality right now, one good shot does not a season make.
With Provorov finding his mojo, Sanheim will have protection as he grows.

Hart wasn't NHL ready his first couple months, a .902 S% in the AHL is not a good sign of readiness.
It made sense being patient with your franchise goalie.

This team isn't that good, Hart is carrying them on his back, fortunately, it looks like he'll be doing that for the next decade.
They had a good game against a paper thin Boston team (one line) on the road, but have been outplayed most of the games since Hart arrived.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That's cool and all, and I do enjoy those moments, but during the course of a game...

When Couturier got lit up early, and then Lindblom tagged in from being offside and tripped over Couturier while reaching for the puck, his call was basically "YAWLAEH AND LINBLAHM COMES IN LOOKING FOR TROUBLE NOT EVEN TRYING TO GO FOR THE PUCK AND HE GETS SPILLED TOO!@!@AHSA"

Like, it's not even just homerism, he's just constantly constructing this false reality and literally calling things that are not happening. I find that unenjoyable.

I didn't say he was perfect. ;) No, you're right. Edwards has certain narratives at times around which he builds the sequence of play.

Reactions: kudymen

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
imagine how mad Hexy must be seeing Hart being so NHL ready. after he got fired cuz he refused to bring him up..

hahaa.. what a horrific couple they were...
I have no problem with how Hart was handled. We're really lucky bringing him up when we did has gone as well as it has.

There was no problem with sending him down to start the year and he struggled a bit at first too, so it was perfectly reasonable to leave him down there. I'm sure Fletcher didn't want to bring him up either, but he really had little choice.

Hak should've been fired but Hextall did nothing wrong with Hart.

Reactions: Foggy14

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I didn't say he was perfect. ;) No, you're right. Edwards has certain narratives at times around which he builds the sequence of play.

He's just not a very good play-by-play, in my eyes. He's working too hard at those narratives to actually pay attention. Last night, about 11 minutes into the game, Konecny was carrying the puck up the ice and he goes "Travis Konecny gets his first touch of the game..." like...he'd had 4 or 5 shifts by then and had already touched the puck plenty in that time. What does that even mean?

It's just weird, to me. A couple guys took weak shots into Rask's crest and he said it showed "how he's really on his angles tonight." Like, he'd have made those saves if he were a foot off his angle, they were 40mph drifters to the center of the net.

Everything's gotta be a Big Thing, or evidence that The Bruins Are So Good When They ______ and The Other Team is Just Mad and The Refs Really Missed One There. The way it weaves through his call of a game is aggravating. I guess if you're like, a not-very-attentive hockey fan it might make things more exciting, but it leaves me just going "Well, not really" all the damn time because his descriptions of completely routine plays are more-or-less inaccurate, in service of The Drama. You can call a game and get excited for your side and all that, but...call the game! The stuff that's actually happening, instead of the stuff you want to say is happening!

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
He's just not a very good play-by-play, in my eyes. He's working too hard at those narratives to actually pay attention. Last night, about 11 minutes into the game, Konecny was carrying the puck up the ice and he goes "Travis Konecny gets his first touch of the game..." like...he'd had 4 or 5 shifts by then and had already touched the puck plenty in that time. What does that even mean?

It's just weird, to me. A couple guys took weak shots into Rask's crest and he said it showed "how he's really on his angles tonight." Like, he'd have made those saves if he were a foot off his angle, they were 40mph drifters to the center of the net.

Everything's gotta be a Big Thing, or evidence that The Bruins Are So Good When They ______ and The Other Team is Just Mad and The Refs Really Missed One There. The way it weaves through his call of a game is aggravating. I guess if you're like, a not-very-attentive hockey fan it might make things more exciting, but it leaves me just going "Well, not really" all the damn time because his descriptions of completely routine plays are more-or-less inaccurate, in service of The Drama. You can call a game and get excited for your side and all that, but...call the game! The stuff that's actually happening, instead of the stuff you want to say is happening!
or in the case of so many, he should have done this or they could have done that. when i was playing i did this. i don't watch games for opinions of what these announcers think, i'd rather they just call the game, and leave me to my own thoughts about things.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Despite the two goals by Pastrnak, Provy and Sanheim had a monster game vs. the Bruins' top line. Provorov has looked better lately but it doesn't always show in the advanced stats. Last night he was 10-4 in scoring chances vs. Bergeron (per Charlie O'Connor).

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad