Post-Game Talk: #51: FLYERS 3 at Bruins 2 (OT), Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Alright, Norm.
How dare you
I+need+cat+that+are+shopped+like+this+_bb1ede219ed90055d0ba4884fc10dfb6.png

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Rewatched this one pretty late, but it's fun to feel like the team has a chance to be competitive every night.

Patrick made a really good anticipation play in the Dzone. Jumped a reverse behind the net by the Bruins seemingly before it happened. Easy clear. Smart player getting more confident. Watch out.

Lindblom also is starting to blossom. The motor is moving and he makes a lot of good little plays.
  • He's very good at tipping the puck past the point to clear the zone. Tonight he did it at least 3 times and one time it caused an odd man rush.
  • 1st period busted his buns backchecking to break up a semi breakaway
  • Another goal tonight on the PP from the slot. He's becoming a good player in that area, he seems to be developing a knack for sniffing out open space in that area, like how he lurked around for the puck last night. It's no question he has good vision, but it's nice to see it round itself out in the NHL
Provorov is looking really, really good. The days of handling the puck like a hand grenade are gone, and especially since the all star break has rounded back into form. Yay.
  • Led an impressive rush after shaking a defender at the goal line. Raced up the NZ, gained the blue line, dished, and drove the net
  • Quick feet on a good read allowed him to jump on a lose puck and get the chance where he tipped the post in the 1st
Laughton is so good at pressuring the points and anticipating their decisions. He's in the middle of a lot of semi-exciting shorthanded plays because of this and created an even strength breakaway because of it tonight. Sneaky valuable player who should only get better defensively, assuming he'll continue to work on this more defensive role.

Simmonds either makes a bad pass, holds on to the puck too long and skates himself into a poke check, or fumbles the puck away while skating or receiving a pass.

Giroux: that backcheck on the Pastrnak 2 on 1 was beautiful. Incredible hustle and determination. Strip the C.

Sanheim: I don't know the answer to these questions but if someone does enlighten me please. How many PPGs does the 2nd unit have? Because Sanheim has 4 PP pts. I'm just asking questions.

How many times did we want to leave Pastrnak wide open on the back side? I mean on the PK I can understand because our PK is pretty bad (better recently) but on 5v5 typically, generally, the team defends well. This was not one of those times. They got outplayed for many stretches of the game's first 40 minutes and Hart was there to bail them out (I remember that nice glove save off a tip in the 2nd), allowing them to hang around and take over in the 3rd. Until the end. The Bruins should have won this game, they choked a number of goals away.

The fact of the matter is they have to get an NHL quality coach with an NHL quality mind for a change. Hopefully that comes in the offseason. But for now, they're not going anywhere and frankly as long as the player usage is reasonable, which it is, I'm fine with the course at this point (ahem, provided they make a few call ups). I hope the next coach recognizes the speed and skill of this team though and lets them use that creativity. Tonight they generated 10 odd man rushes to Boston's 2. For the umpteenth time, this offense features one of the nastiest quick strike ability in the NHL.

The turnovers in transition are becoming a problem again- guys like Simmonds and Varone love to try to rev up in the NZ and cough the puck up. The stationary wings on breakouts need to stop too. This is the NHL. The book is out and NHL players are good at hockey. Good forechecking will eat that ECHL level system up, and we're seeing that happen now. Shocking, I know.

oKo4TkW.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't know the answer to these questions but if someone does enlighten me please. How many PPGs does the 2nd unit have? Because Sanheim has 4 PP pts. I'm just asking questions.

The unit has 4 goals, and Sanheim has a point on every goal despite his lack of usage there (49 minutes compared to Provy's 83 minutes).

Here's some more PP statistical analysis, boi:

Provorov: 33 on-ice shots/60.....3.4 xGF/60......2 goals for, 3 goals against (yes, that's a minus on the PP)
Sanheim: 47 on-ice shots/60......5.7 xGF/60......4 goals for, 1 goal against

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The unit has 4 goals, and Sanheim has a point on every goal despite his lack of usage there (49 minutes compared to Provy's 83 minutes).

Here's some more PP statistical analysis, boi:

Provorov: 33 on-ice shots/60.....3.4 xGF/60......2 goals for, 3 goals against (yes, that's a minus on the PP)
Sanheim: 47 on-ice shots/60......5.7 xGF/60......4 goals for, 1 goal against
Ok, perfect. So things are exactly as I expected. I'm shocked. Shocked I say.

Reactions: Striiker

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
In limited sample, Provorov looked good to me on the PP in juniors but obviously he's not facing NHL goalies -- his point shot was a real weapon. I only saw one game of Sanheim in juniors.

In the NHL, Provorov looks very good joining the rush or activating in the offensive zone and moving into dangerous scoring positions. But Sanheim is much MUCH better with the puck, either skating it or passing it (in all zones).

Contrary to popular opinion, Provorov really needs a puck-moving partner, not a stay-at-home type.

If we're giving Morin a real shot and keeping Gudas, I don't want anymore D who can't move the puck well, and that's assuming we're dumping AMac and Hagg.

Hagg's cheap contract feels as much like an albatross at this point as AMac's huge contract. Too easy to say, "He's cheap, let's keep him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad