Post-Game Talk: #51| FLYERS 1 at Hurricanes 5 | Tuesday, January 31, 2017|

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Hak and his coaches don't seem to be able to get this team started early in any games and as the season progresses it seems to take longer every game. The PP has fallen off a cliff and the PK looks lost. Maybe the talent is not cup loaded but how can you tell when everyone seems lost. Coaching is the main problem.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, Hak wasn't hired to coach THIS team, he was hired to coach the Flyers the next couple years.
I think Hextall would like to have made more changes, but the cap has tied his hands the last two years.

He hasnt been good with THIS teams young players, though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The way he's coaching THIS team is making it look like he's not capable of coaching the Flyers the next couple of years.

I'm not going to waste my time pointing out all the example since you're in denial and would rather be Hakstols White Knight, but the facts are the facts and we've hear enough damning things straight from the horses mouth.

Yes, come to the dark side :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, come to the dark side :laugh:

Well I've thought he was an idiot for a long time, the only thing I argued was that there's no point in firing him since I think all coaches are idiots and we'd just be switching one idiot for another.

My thoughts on coaches are very similar to my thoughts on 99% of the media. :laugh:

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Hello and big respects from a hockey follower here man. What's up with brayden schenn being day to day now huh? Love philly hockey, always does mane.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Well I've thought he was an idiot for a long time, the only thing I argued was that there's no point in firing him since I think all coaches are idiots and we'd just be switching one idiot for another.

My thoughts on coaches are very similar to my thoughts on 99% of the media. :laugh:

imagine Hitchcock coming here and healthy scratching Morin or Sanheim.
would love to see what the responses are. :laugh:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
No, Hak wasn't hired to coach THIS team, he was hired to coach the Flyers the next couple years.
I think Hextall would like to have made more changes, but the cap has tied his hands the last two years.

This isn't true. The last coach to reach 320 games with the Flyers was Keenan. There is no way Hextall was thinking that far ahead hiring an unproven coach (at NHL level).

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
This isn't true. The last coach to reach 320 games with the Flyers was Keenan. There is no way Hextall was thinking that far ahead hiring an unproven coach (at NHL level).

Huh? Do you think Hextall hired him with the thinking it will only be for a couple of years? Wow.....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No, you're not. Hakstol was given a 5 year deal with every expectation he would see it out.

Hiring an unproven coach who needed to learn the NHL game clearly meant Hextall was looking down the road, not just at the next two seasons.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
No, you're not. Hakstol was given a 5 year deal with every expectation he would see it out.

He was given a 5 year contract which implies if he does the job, he is being committed to for 5 years. He gets paid regardless. That is what it took for Hextall to hire him. That's it.

The probability he was ever staying 5 years was low to begin with. It would be for any rookie coach.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Down 2% isn't what I'd call "fallen off a cliff".

Okay, it's not a big cliff ...

2011-9-17+094.JPG

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Down 2% isn't what I'd call "fallen off a cliff".

Recently it has looked like garbage. Forget converting on it -- some power plays they don't get any pressure at all.

It's inconsistent in execution. Recall earlier in the year when they seemed to have full 2 min PPs from time to time, with almost the entire PP being spent in the opposing players end. It was dangerous. It has certainly lost some edge. It's not hard for me to flip through games of notes and look at my PP notations and notes on how it performed. 10/15 minutes I could review the entire season on the PP and PK.

It is starting to seem like around here, people are substituting facts for memories. Memories include more of the picture.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ

Hiring an unproven coach who needed to learn the NHL game clearly meant Hextall was looking down the road, not just at the next two seasons.

Spot on. Hextall doesn't even seem like the type of character to hire a guy as a stop gap. They took some time on this hire as well. Really wanted their guy.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Spot on. Hextall doesn't even seem like the type of character to hire a guy as a stop gap. They took some time on this hire as well. Really wanted their guy.

That is what it took to get him. That's it.

The only Flyers coach to last 5 years was Fred Shero.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One reason teams never get above mediocre is they keep firing coaches - you get a short term bump with the next coach (even Berube!), then talent will out.

Most of the complaints about Hakstol are so nitpicking as to be asinine, gee why doesn't Giroux play on the PK? Well, he's lost a stride, gets pushed around and is down 2 minutes a game to save his legs, so why would you put him on the PK and take him off ES? Gee, why does VdV play? Because Laughton and Leier didn't take his job! Gee, why does MacDonald play so much? Because the alternatives are dreck.

The real problem is the talent doesn't fit Hakstol's scheme.
Now, do you really think:
1) Hextall hired him without knowing what scheme Hakstol would run?
2) Hextall didn't know the talent on his own team?
3) Hextall was too dumb to know it wasn't a good short-run fit?

Of course, Hextall didn't expect his goalies to go belly up.

But you don't have to be a rocket scientist to think that Hakstol wasn't hired to win now, Hextall wanted a coach for the prospects he was bringing up, and not the veterans who've been at the core of a mediocre team for five years.

Which suggests to me that if this team doesn't play better, Hextall is more likely to move some of the core players than change coaches - after three coaches you start questioning whether you have the right players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad