Post-Game Talk: #51| FLYERS 1 at Hurricanes 5 | Tuesday, January 31, 2017|

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree on the PK unit and overall play of VdV and PEB. it needs to end. like yesterday.

As far as over playing AMAC it sucks. no doubt, but what are the options? Manning? Streit? MDZ? all those guys have had major issues this year. Putting Ghost with Provorov would be great IF there was something good to fall back on after that. Maybe Gudas, but even he has been pretty meh at times this year.

Provorov-Ghost
Gudas-????
????-????

The "????'s" can be arranged however, it doesn't really matter since they all suck, but we should have MacDonald 2nd in icetime and playing with Provorov.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
How many minutes a night is Provorov playing? 22:26 a night since December 1.
Gudas is the only other competent defenseman this year. 19:54 since January 1, less in December when he was dinged.
MacDonald 20:21 in January, 20:42 in December.

As far as the rest, peas in a pod, including Ghost.
Or you want to see more of Mandog?

Provorov, Gudas and Ghost should all be playing more. Ghost should have been playing with either Gudas or Provorov long ago. It doesn't help him get his offensive confidence back playing him with a turd or sitting him.

OZone faceoff or trailing in the third, give Ghost and Provorov and extra shift. DZone faceoff or trailing pair Provorov and Gudas together. Every coach does that.

Yes, the Flyers have three turds every night, but at least limit the minutes of the default worse pairing. Hakstol doesn't do that. If he was the coach when the Flyers lost to the Hawks, Krajicek-Parent would have played 2 minutes more per game just rolling pairs out.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Provorov, Gudas and Ghost should all be playing more. Ghost should have been playing with either Gudas or Provorov long ago. It doesn't help him get his offensive confidence back playing him with a turd or sitting him.

OZone faceoff or trailing in the third, give Ghost and Provorov and extra shift. DZone faceoff or trailing pair Provorov and Gudas together. Every coach does that.

Yes, the Flyers have three turds every night, but at least limit the minutes of the default worse pairing. Hakstol doesn't do that. If he was the coach when the Flyers lost to the Hawks, Krajicek-Parent would have played 2 minutes more per game just rolling pairs out.

It's like he sees AMac as a vet and ignores the way he actually plays. Like the senior has to play with the freshman, and the sophomore can't play with the freshman because it would be the height of madness and that is not the college way.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Provorov-Ghost
Gudas-????
????-????

The "????'s" can be arranged however, it doesn't really matter since they all suck, but we should have MacDonald 2nd in icetime and playing with Provorov.

shouldn't*

I knew what you meant. I hate AMAC as much as anyone.

Provorov-Ghost
Manning-Gudas
AMAC-Streit
Schultz

Does that improve things much? I dont know. Folks would still be blaming Hakstol somehow if teams were scoring at will on the 2nd and 3rd pair. I still think Hakstol should be given a chance to coach a team with 6 competent defenseman instead of 3. Bottom line is there is no easy fix. A coach can only do so much with shoddy defense and shoddy goaltending. See Ken Hitchcock

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I appreciate Ghost Beers posts. Generated thought. I almost posted some math to get into this conversation -- but the math talked me out of my point. ha.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I knew what you meant. I hate AMAC as much as anyone.

Provorov-Ghost
Manning-Gudas
AMAC-Streit
Schultz

Does that improve things much? I dont know. Folks would still be blaming Hakstol somehow if teams were scoring at will on the 2nd and 3rd pair. I still think Hakstol should be given a chance to coach a team with 6 competent defenseman instead of 3. Bottom line is there is no easy fix. A coach can only do so much with shoddy defense and shoddy goaltending. See Ken Hitchcock

It wouldn't improve things significantly. This team's issues are much bigger than a below average coach. Some things Hakstol does are just simply irritating.

Goaltending is the biggest change YoY. Second is the ES play decline of Giroux, Couturier and Schenn. The D we knew was bad. MDZ was at least sound defensively last year though. Ghost's sophomore slump has hurt as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
ive wanted to see Provocop n ghost together as a line all season..

but thats never happening unless its a line to the scratch box from Hakslogic

They'll be together in suits sharing popcorn by early next season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It wouldn't improve things significantly. This team's issues are much bigger than a below average coach. Some things Hakstol does are just simply irritating.

Goaltending is the biggest change YoY. Second is the ES play decline of Giroux, Couturier and Schenn. The D we knew was bad. MDZ was at least sound defensively last year though. Ghost's sophomore slump has hurt as well.

If MDZ and Mase played like they did last year, this is a top 10 team, even with every other struggle from this season staying the same.

They were our starting goalie and top dman in 15-16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad