Post-Game Talk: #50 | FLYERS at Capitals | Wed., Jan. 31, 2018, 8:00 pm ET

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
That was just embarrassing. Manning looked god awful, he did nothing right except take himself off the ice for 5 minutes. I mean, i can't remember a game where one player looked so terrible.

MacDonald taking a stupid penalty, color me shocked.

Hagg looked like crap.

Neuvy was better on IR.

Lehtera has no valid reason to be on a pp or pk setup, i don't get how they cant see this...ANYONE WOULD BE BETTER.

Hak's personal decisions, combined with Lappy's poorly run PK is losing us games constantly.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
If Hextall appreciates how good Hakstol is with the kids, put him in player dev. Otherwise, fire the guy. I don't recall Hakstol ever winning games with his coaching decisions. It's should be obvious that he's not a good coach, right?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This game was all on Neuvirth, one of the worst exhibitions of goalie play I've ever seen - did he make one tough stop?
Meanwhile Holtby stones Konecny once and Giroux twice.

Manning wasn't good, but he only played 12 minutes, he's been in a funk and his minutes have steadily decreased. But last time I checked, Sanheim doesn't play goalie, so he wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Goul hardly plays, so if you replace him, how many minutes does his replacement get? In other words, much ado about nothing.

Filppula is at the end of his career, but who is the replacement? His minutes are also starting to decline. Patrick will pass him soon, but they're not going to suddenly increase Patrick from 12 to 20 minutes a night, look for that to happen by April. They don't want to overwork a kid who's just getting healthy and didn't have an offseason to build up his strength and endurance - that's how you injure players.

Konecny had to earn his way on the 1st line, for one thing, that meant moving Voracek off that line, not an easy decision as it puts him in an awkward position for now. Konecny has raised his game, but I still think he's two years away, add some strength, get smarter on ice (still tries to force things at time).

Patrick is finally looking like the guy they thought they were drafting, he's starting to skate like he's close to 100%, and that's allowing him to make plays, although he was fooled into a bad penalty by being careless with his stick. Learning curve.

The core is in place, Provorov, Ghost, Couts, Konecny and Patrick. G, V and Raffl the veteran presence.
Next year Frost (he's just too good to send back to juniors), Lindblom, NAK, Vorobyev at some point, Sanheim, Myers, Morin.
Hextall knows they're coming, he's not blind, just a matter of when, which means it's just a matter of when when he takes out the trash.

I think Hextall wants to ride this group because if he decides to move Simmonds, he wants the veterans to feel like he gave them a fair shot at the playoffs, trading veterans and bringing up the kids would look like he's conceding the playoffs (you may not think so but the veterans may feel very differently).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers got some big blinders on when it comes to Filppula. He’s gotten so much rope this year despite not deserving it at all at any point.

He has seen his ice time go down slightly, mainly due to being taken off PP1, and then taken off PP2 as well.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
This game was all on Neuvirth, one of the worst exhibitions of goalie play I've ever seen - did he make one tough stop?

Manning wasn't good, but he only played 12 minutes, he's been in a funk and his minutes have steadily decreased. But last time I checked, Sanheim doesn't play goalie, so he wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Goul hardly plays, so if you replace him, how many minutes does his replacement get? In other words, much ado about nothing.

Filppula is at the end of his career, but who is the replacement? His minutes are also starting to decline. Patrick will pass him soon, but they're not going to suddenly increase Patrick from 12 to 20 minutes a night, look for that to happen by April. They don't want to overwork a kid who's just getting healthy and didn't have an offseason to build up his strength and endurance - that's how you injure players.

Konecny had to earn his way on the 1st line, for one thing, that meant moving Voracek off that line, not an easy decision as it puts him in an awkward position for now. Konecny has raised his game, but I still think he's two years away, add some strength, get smarter on ice (still tries to force things at time).

Patrick is finally looking like the guy they thought they were drafting, he's starting to skate like he's close to 100%, and that's allowing him to make plays, although he was fooled into a bad penalty by being careless with his stick. Learning curve.

The core is in place, Provorov, Ghost, Couts, Konecny and Patrick. G, V and Raffl the veteran presence.
Next year Frost (he's just too good to send back to juniors), Lindblom, NAK, Vorobyev at some point, Sanheim, Myers, Morin.
Hextall knows they're coming, he's not blind, just a matter of when, which means it's just a matter of when when he takes out the trash.

I think Hextall wants to ride this group because if he decides to move Simmonds, he wants the veterans to feel like he gave them a fair shot at the playoffs, trading veterans and bringing up the kids would look like he's conceding the playoffs (you may not think so but the veterans may feel very differently).
Simmonds out.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

Manning is not a "veteran". He is a trash player that hurts the team everytime he steps on the ice. The players all know that. Replacing him with Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Alt, even TJ Brennan is an upgrade.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
My feed was way off last night. I was sitting at my computer getting some work done between periods and it was stuck on Commercial Break. I checked on the GDT in passing and noticed the post about a tie game. "Well, that can't be right," thought I. Ha.

My computer was trying to protect me, apparently.

We have been in this dark pit before. Remember the 10-game losing skid. How many adjustments were made? I sadly agree with those who have said that Hakstol, with Hextall's approval, has hitched the Flyers wagon to this team of horses ... and mules.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tripod (and others),

Finally rewatched the first goal a few times.

Yes, Manning makes a terrible read, expecting the Capital to dump it behind the net.

Certainly a bad play by him over-anticipating.

Still, Neuvirth is 95% responsible for that goal. If you can't smother or deflect away a puck from a 180 degree angle in the NHL, you're going to pay for it. That said, Manning played it poorly.

The 2nd goal I've rewatched carefully. As I thought, they did get caught in a bad change -- the Caps exploited the absence of a RW in the 1-2-2 to make the long outlet pass that sprung the break.

But I have no idea why Manning was so close to Gudas on the left side of the ice. I guess because Manning is supposed to be the LD, but he has to read that Gudas is covering that position and rotate accordingly.

Manning was way out of position.

I said in December that people shouldn't get too upset about Manning playing over Sanheim because Manning was playing over his head and would fall back to himself with overexposure. Well, he certainly has. But the coach needs to recognize it.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Wall of text

Wasn't all Neuvy, first goal obviously was on him but I don't thing there was other softies. He did not play well but we did not lose because of him.

Manning did only play 12 minutes. He still he managed to f*** up numerous times and cost us 2 goals against.
Maybe Sanheim (or any other hockey player for that matter) wouldn't give up those breakaways for example so you wouldn't have to blame our goalie for Manning's mistakes.

They moved Voracek away from G and Coots before TK moved to first line.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He outperformed Dermott offensively. There's a difference. Different styles. Dermott is legit. Sanheim is also legit.
Being better offensively is a big part of being better overall. If you weren't near PPG on those powerhouse Erie clubs (with a high% of points coming from the PP), it probably says something about your ultimate upside. Doesn't mean he can't be a good player, but history suggests the odds of him becoming a star are slim.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Minutes aren't punched into a machine ahead of the game -- maybe Hakstol does -- so the notion that Sanheim or someone else wouldn't have a significant impact on the game playing Manning's minutes is silly. If a player is having a good game, most coaches will put them on more. And, as Harhis said, 12 minutes can be significant if goals were prevented in those 12 minutes.

The same goes for Goulbourne or anyone. His minutes are limited because he doesn't deserve more. Having someone with some hockey acumen flying around the ice creating chances will prompt more use.

Sadly, I think you are right about veteran playing time, in the sense that players like Lehtera and Filppula get regular minutes because they are 'owed' it in Dave Hakstol's mind. As for the veterans who contribute positively to this line-up, I side with Curu about seeing a positive with replacing underachievers with higher-upside youngsters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad