News Article: 50 Contracts 2023-24

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
It was written somewhere (La Presse?) that Jack Gorniak's rights expired. Why would that not have been August 15th?
Probably because he isn't on the reserve list on CapFriendly. They have a little FAQ about college students, but there are no details on the special COVID rules RE: a 5th year. IT could have something to do with that, or they are just wrong. since the only way they lose rights before Aug. 15th is if he notified the school he wasn't a student anymore for a reason that isn't that he graduated.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Both Jack Gorniak & Arvid Henrikson are no longer listed as Aug 15th on this site:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It was written somewhere (La Presse?) that Jack Gorniak's rights expired. Why would that not have been August 15th?

I don't know if it's an unwritten rule or not but it's been this way for as long as I can remember for NCAA players and the August 15th deadline. If Teams want to, they can inform the player that they won't be signing them by the August 15th deadline so then the player can become a UFA instead of waiting all summer.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Both Jack Gorniak & Arvid Henrikson are no longer listed as Aug 15th on this site:
Henrikson's rights were traded to SJ in that 3-team trade back in March.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Assuming they'll sign Anthony Richard this week.
Also guessing they qualify:
Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Joel Teasdale
Jesse Ylonen

Not sure about Nicolas Beaudin

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
I don't know what will happen with Belzile/Richard/Teasdale/Condotta quite frankly it could go either way, I wouldn't consider them as locks to be re-signed even though I would love most of them to be back.

One guy I feel is being left off for a contract that I would love to see back is Pierrick Dubé. He destroyed the ECHL and did very well for his first season in the AHL 16g 16a with only 3 powerplay goals +10 in 44 games. Even if he is (another) under-sized player I see value in giving him a two-way deal at this moment.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
OP updated with Monahan, Newhook, Fairbrother, Gurianov, Teasdale, Stephens, Condotta, Beaudin, Pinard, and Ylonen news

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Original Post updated with the following transactions:

Hoffman (-)
Pitlick (-)
Legare (+)
L.Anderssson (+)
Maillet (+)
Lindstrom (+)
Edmundson (-)
Petry (+) (-)
Keeper (+)
Reinbacher (+)
DeSmith (+)

Looking pretty tight at 47 and likely 48 with Mesar reporting to Laval

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Original Post updated with the following transactions:

Hoffman (-)
Pitlick (-)
Legare (+)
L.Anderssson (+)
Maillet (+)
Lindstrom (+)
Edmundson (-)
Petry (+) (-)
Keeper (+)
Reinbacher (+)
DeSmith (+)

Looking pretty tight at 47 and likely 48 with Mesar reporting to Laval

We're fine. We have to sign 7 more prospects in 2024 and none of them are sureshot to be.

With Reinbacher+Mesar, that would bring us to 56.

If we sign every prospect, we need to not re-sign 6 of these guys (bold would be my choice):
Lindstrom
Wideman
Keeper

Maillet
De Smith or Montembeault (bold the one thaqt does worse if not traded before/during season)
Stephens
Andersson
Norlinder

Beaudin
Monahan
Ylonen
Barron
Xhekaj
Legare

That number reduces if we trade any of Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Condotta, Monahan, Allen, Evans, Harris or Kovacevic.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We're fine. We have to sign 7 more prospects in 2024 and none of them are sureshot to be.

With Reinbacher+Mesar, that would bring us to 56.

If we sign every prospect, we need to not re-sign 6 of these guys (bold would be my choice):
Lindstrom
Wideman
Keeper

Maillet
De Smith or Montembeault (bold the one thaqt does worse if not traded before/during season)
Stephens
Andersson
Norlinder

Beaudin
Monahan
Ylonen
Barron
Xhekaj
Legare

That number reduces if we trade any of Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Condotta, Monahan, Allen, Evans, Harris or Kovacevic.
I propose to not re-sign 9 of these guys (bold are my choices as of now):
Lindstrom
Wideman
Keeper
Maillet
De Smith
or Montembeault (bold the one thaqt does worse if not traded before/during season)
Stephens
Andersson
Norlinder
Beaudin

Monahan
Ylonen
Barron
Xhekaj
Legare

That would leave 3 spots for new signees if we signed 7 prospects including Hutson and played Reinbacher in the NHL. However, i would not sign the following prospects (again as of now):
Biondi
Smilanic
Tourigny

And I would have Reinbacher in Laval for more than half the season at least.

So that would leave us at 43 contracts before new signees and assuming no one is traded by next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad