GDT: #50 – Rangers at Sabres – Thu Feb 2, 7:30PM ET – NBCSN

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This was probably a big game for Michael Lehner, the father of Robin.

Having coached both Lundqvist and Robin.

Lundqvist first star of the game
Robin second star of the game

Michael is one hell of a goalie coach, that's for sure.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Because he is the only good player on this team, he gives his teammates chance after chance to cash in, they don't do it, and at the end of the game we have a bunch of people laying the blame at his feet. It's ridiculous.

This.

If Reinhart could finish on any given night, and Okposo tonight nobody would say peep about Jack, except how he dangles and dishes like a stud. Not a great game for him, but he created like he does every game, not his fault Samson can't finish from more than a foot away from the net most nights.

Priority one needs to be defense, priority two is getting Eichel some limemates that compliment him better. Sam needs to find a place to play 5v5, put him back on RoR's wing, cuz Zemgus has that third line center role locked down right now. I love Foligno's game, but he has no business on Jack's line either.

Great players elevate the games of those around him, most nights Jack does that. When those players don't bury chances he creates, mistakes like tonight stick out like a sore thumb. That play never happens if KO scores on that sweet dish 2 minutes earlier.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Wait, ROR and Risto are making "lazy plays" and having "mental lapses"? You mean the guys that are playing 4-6 more minutes per game than they should be every single night? The guys we (AND EVEN OUR COACH) predicted would collapse under that strain by, I dunno, game 50?

Dan is a ****ing clown. It's a disgrace.

Yep. Granted, the bogo injury hurt today, and it doesnt help that Murray decided not to address our 4th line or the defense too much. still, Dan's plan could have negative long term consequences for these 2 guys if they get skated into the ice for the rest of the year and next season in terms of being more susceptible to injuries due to extreme fatigue.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is the Okposo I watched a ton of on LI

I had the same thought watching it live: Stafford.

I know there's a bit of clamber about Risto's ice time, but when Mr. Brittle breaks again as he did last night, are they supposed to lean on the AHL level guys they have?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

I know there's a bit of clamber about Risto's ice time, but when Mr. Brittle breaks again as he did last night, are they supposed to lean on the AHL level guys they have?
yes, Okie has always been streaky, but its a disservice to label him 'Stafford', that guy completely disappeared for long stretches, I dont think thats the case with Okie even during his downturns.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

At this point in the season I don't see the point or much difference in playing a dead risto for 28:00 minutes a game or giving 4 more minutes to our AHL guys. At least the AHL guys will have the energy to play.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Another thing I thought of (amidst a long list of things) that frustrates me about Disco's coaching.

Why does he stick with things that don't work that he likes, and so readily goes away from player usage that is effective?

Case in point: Reinhart and Foligno.

When Sam was at center for a week and a half to two weeks, he was almost PPG, scoring goals, creating chances for teammates, and at least ok defensively.

He had one bad game (as will happen with anyone, but especially a young player who hasn't played a ton at center at the NHL level) and Dan immediately puts him back at wing.

Meanwhile, Foligno has done nothing with Jack and Sam for 2+ weeks, yet Disco refuses to try anyone else (specifically Carrier) in that spot. What gives?

Jack's defensive struggles are also a bit of a cause for concern. Maybe RoR can give him some of those extra after practice lessons that he did last year?

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Okposo was absolute trash, Jack was garbage. Girgensons, Gianta and Kane were great.
Jack was garbage? Give me a break. I don't know what game you were watching. He, Kane, and Girgensons were the only ones making anything happen offensively.

ROR and his line have been trash for awhile now (yes, in large part because he's being way overworked). After a really good month or so, Reinhart appears to be moving back to his early-season form, at least in the last few games. The fourth line has been useless. I can only assume people must have outrageous expectations for Eichel, because he has been one of the few guys playing consistently well.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
At this point in the season I don't see the point or much difference in playing a dead risto for 28:00 minutes a game or giving 4 more minutes to our AHL guys. At least the AHL guys will have the energy to play.
I agree with this, and who knows... maybe the "AHL guys" could surprise us with the opportunity.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
yes, Okie has always been streaky, but its a disservice to label him 'Stafford', that guy completely disappeared for long stretches, I dont think thats the case with Okie even during his downturns.

Relative to the streakiness of their scoring, there is definitely similarities between the two. I would like to see Kyle get his game back together and start contributing again.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I didn't think Risto had that bad of a game given the minutes that he played. Franson also continue to look good but he's been doing that for long enough this season but that's not a fluke. I'm impatient for them to make improvement on the blue line. And I know that that's going to have to be a summer activity.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think you guys are calling him out for the wrong thing. When I see the replay I see a guy who gets turned around, holds up and loses all momentum and is flat footed, and takes a desperate lunge to break up a pass when literally his only other option is to be a pylon. I think he expected Kreider to hold up at the point and he was going to be blocking a shot. Except Kreider never stopped movig.

In other words, I don't think he was intending to try and steal the pass all along. Its just a reaction after being caught in a bad position.

I think jack was in fine coverage when he tangled with the ranger driving the net. The coverage problem is that he shouldn't be reaching for kreider's pass to mcdonaugh on a 4v3. You let that pass go to tighten your triangle, specifically to stop easy one timer finishes like kreider got.

In a nutshell, pk goals are going to happen, but the smart move is to let them have point shots, but at all costs take away the easy play opportunities. Eichel got worked on that play.

To be honest I blame bylsma for that. I want to see jack on the pk at some point, but a 4v3 is a particularly dangerous situation for players who lack d zone awareness and at this point that is a big problem for jack. Bylsma set him up for failure.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

The issue is that Risto is getting 30 almost every night. Sure, tonight Bogo got hurt. That happens, and Risto getting 30 when something like that happens is understandable. But he's played the most minutes in the entire league since early December. He's been averaging over 28 that stretch, so he's getting 30 almost every single game. The Bogo injury isn't an extreme case of Risto's ice time like it should be, it was the usual.

For Christ's sake, Risto got 35 minutes IN THE FIRST GAME OF A BACK TO BACK. And then 30 the very next night.

This is tremendously bad management of the most important piece of this team if it wants to be a cup contender. This kind of management will fatigue and injure him. It is a serious problem, and Dan himself could tell you that. And yet he doesn't change.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The issue is that Risto is getting 30 almost every night. Sure, tonight Bogo got hurt. That happens, and Risto getting 30 when something like that happens is understandable. But he's played the most minutes in the entire league since early December. He's been averaging over 28 that stretch, so he's getting 30 almost every single game. The Bogo injury isn't an extreme case of Risto's ice time like it should be, it was the usual.

For Christ's sake, Risto got 35 minutes IN THE FIRST GAME OF A BACK TO BACK. And then 30 the very next night.

This is tremendously bad management of the most important piece of this team if it wants to be a cup contender. This kind of management will fatigue and injure him. It is a serious problem, and Dan himself could tell you that. And yet he doesn't change.

The 35 minutes was the game in which McCabe got hurt early on and there was both a PK and a PP in the OT. It was similar to this game.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Am i missing it?

What's the status of Bogosian? Short term? Long term? Upper body?

Anyone have the hit or play that may have injured him?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Thanks Jim Bob :5:

That hit, didn't look "that punishing" :dunno:

But Bogo is entering Tim Connolly territory for being made of glass. Such a shame.

Hope it's only a game or two.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Yea, when the actual bridge is bumper to bumper ... nexus doesn't work at all. And more times than not, there usually is a busy full bridge.

I live in NF, so I just use Whirlpool. (But way out of the way if you don't need to be up there I know.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad