5 things that annoy me about the NHLPA (and supporters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
There are alot of things that annoy me, and that I truely cannot understand from the point of view of the players and their supporters. Here are my top 5:

5) The argument that everything would be fine as long as owners and GMs stuck to their budget.

The problem is that everyone could stick to a budget, but when New York and Toronto have a 60 million dollar budget its still going to be nearly impossible for Calgary or Edmonton to compete with a 35 million dollar budget. The NHL needs an even financial playing field, they don`t have that right now.

4) The argument that the owners locked the players out, so the NHLPA are trying to tell the public that they want to play and even offered to keep playing during negotiations.

OF COURSE THEY WOULD WANT TO PLAY!! They would be playing under the old system, nothing would change, there would still be the same problems that triggered this lockout. If the owners were to allow them to play during negotiations then what motivation would they have for trying to resolve this anytime soon? Absolutely none as long as they`re continuing to rake in their obsene contracts.

3) The NHLPA`s latest offer

They are trying to get the public to believe that this offer is workable and that they are negotiating in good faith, yet under their plan many teams would still lose money, some of them quite a bit. Not only was it a brutal offer, and a step back from their previous one, but they wouldn`t even guarentee that it would work as they say it will. It is pretty obvious that they know it won`t work.

2) This idea that the NHLPA are being so much more flexible than the owners.

Are the NHLPA making some concessions from the previous CBA? Absolutely they are. Is it anywhere near enough? Not even close. The NHL are being no more stubborn for insisting on a cap than the NHLPA are for insisting on no cap. The players continuously say that the owners won`t budge from their salary cap, when they won`t budge from their no salary cap.

1) The NHLPA refuting the numbers of the NHL.

Its not that the union does not agree with the numbers provided by the NHL and the Levitt report, but the fact that they do so without making any effort whatsoever to find their own numbers. Two things annoy me on this topic: a) That the NHLPA declined to meet with Arthur Levitt to even discuss how he got these numbers. Instead they just reject them outright. b) That the NHLPA has consistently refused to hire their own auditor to audit the NHL`s books, again, much prefferring to simply reject their numbers outright. I think it is pretty obvious that the NHLPA really doesn`t want to know the real numbers.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Chelios said:
There are alot of things that annoy me, and that I truely cannot understand from the point of view of the players and their supporters. Here are my top 5:

5) The argument that everything would be fine as long as owners and GMs stuck to their budget.

The problem is that everyone could stick to a budget, but when New York and Toronto have a 60 million dollar budget its still going to be nearly impossible for Calgary or Edmonton to compete with a 35 million dollar budget. The NHL needs an even financial playing field, they don`t have that right now.

4) The argument that the owners locked the players out, so the NHLPA are trying to tell the public that they want to play and even offered to keep playing during negotiations.

OF COURSE THEY WOULD WANT TO PLAY!! They would be playing under the old system, nothing would change, there would still be the same problems that triggered this lockout. If the owners were to allow them to play during negotiations then what motivation would they have for trying to resolve this anytime soon? Absolutely none as long as they`re continuing to rake in their obsene contracts.

3) The NHLPA`s latest offer

They are trying to get the public to believe that this offer is workable and that they are negotiating in good faith, yet under their plan many teams would still lose money, some of them quite a bit. Not only was it a brutal offer, and a step back from their previous one, but they wouldn`t even guarentee that it would work as they say it will. It is pretty obvious that they know it won`t work.

2) This idea that the NHLPA are being so much more flexible than the owners.

Are the NHLPA making some concessions from the previous CBA? Absolutely they are. Is it anywhere near enough? Not even close. The NHL are being no more stubborn for insisting on a cap than the NHLPA are for insisting on no cap. The players continuously say that the owners won`t budge from their salary cap, when they won`t budge from their no salary cap.

1) The NHLPA refuting the numbers of the NHL.

Its not that the union does not agree with the numbers provided by the NHL and the Levitt report, but the fact that they do so without making any effort whatsoever to find their own numbers. Two things annoy me on this topic: a) That the NHLPA declined to meet with Arthur Levitt to even discuss how he got these numbers. Instead they just reject them outright. b) That the NHLPA has consistently refused to hire their own auditor to audit the NHL`s books, again, much prefferring to simply reject their numbers outright. I think it is pretty obvious that the NHLPA really doesn`t want to know the real numbers.

How can the PA audit the numbers if the NHL doesn't let them?

hunter1909*

whats cool is when the owners smash the union after losing a season...

the nhlpa will be as lame as a 3 legged cow

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
How can the PA audit the numbers if the NHL doesn't let them?

An auditors job is to find the "real" numbers. The NHL has publicly offered up the books for the NHLPA to audit. They have refused. If the books are so wrong, then why hasn`t the NHLPA hired an auditer to look over them and publicly say that they are not accurate? The answer is obvious to me: either the NHLPA does not want to know the real numbers, or they know them and don`t want to admit them.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Chelios said:
An auditors job is to find the "real" numbers. The NHL has publicly offered up the books for the NHLPA to audit. They have refused. If the books are so wrong, then why hasn`t the NHLPA hired an auditer to look over them and publicly say that they are not accurate? The answer is obvious to me: either the NHLPA does not want to know the real numbers, or they know them and don`t want to admit them.
of all the rhetoric i have read about this lockout, this is the thing that confuses me the most.... why won't the PA hire their own auditor?.. other than the obvious fear of finding the owners are telling the truth are there any other real reason they might not want an audit doneone of the biggest hurdles for the PA seems to be trust. how can this be constrewed as anything but a trust type overature...
could it be that the players fear the owners are sooo much smarter than them thatt they will fool them agian with their "magic numbers" ;)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chelios said:

So, you believe that the Rangers LOST $40 million last year ???

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
south end super star said:
of all the rhetoric i have read about this lockout, this is the thing that confuses me the most.... why won't the PA hire their own auditor?.. other than the obvious fear of finding the owners are telling the truth are there any other real reason they might not want an audit doneone of the biggest hurdles for the PA seems to be trust. how can this be constrewed as anything but a trust type overature...
could it be that the players fear the owners are sooo much smarter than them thatt they will fool them agian with their "magic numbers" ;)

Because what the PA considers as "hockey revenues" would never be considered 100% hockey revenues by auditors (who would allocate revenues using accounting principles). Also, it would paint themselves in a corner negociating on numbers while now they can negociate on principles.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
So, you believe that the Rangers LOST $40 million last year ???

I`m not saying that I believe that, what I am asking is why aren`t the NHLPA making any attempt to give me numbers for me to believe?

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Smail said:
Because what the PA considers as "hockey revenues" would never be considered 100% hockey revenues by auditors (who would allocate revenues using accounting principles). Also, it would paint themselves in a corner negociating on numbers while now they can negociate on principles.

Well then why doesn`t the NHLPA define what it considers "hockey revenues" and audit the teams according to their criteria?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Chelios said:
Well then why doesn`t the NHLPA define what it considers "hockey revenues" and audit the teams according to their criteria?

well, i wont speak for the NHLPA, since Im not one of them, but from my perspective I would answer this.

because they shouldnt care whats in the #'s. they dont deny their is less money available now to pay players and are willing to discuss new mechanisms for the owners to utulize to drag the *majority* of salaries.

they simply dont believe that they need to concede a full cap to acheive the owners goals of reducing the players share.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Chelios said:

I will take issue with this one.

What has TOR done that has made it worth the 60m payroll ? Show me more than one signing that TOR has done that has impacted the NHL payroll structure ?

TOR signed {player a} and as a result another owner had to pay overpay {player b}.
and
TOR signed {player c} and as a result another owner had to pay overpay {player d}.

If TOR and NYR and STL want to carry 60m + payrolls to have limited success, LET THEM ! Thats punishment enough.

Call them Cinderalla or not, but CGY, ANA, BUF, CRL, WSH and MIN have had more shots at the cup in the recent past than any of TOR, PHI, STL, NYR.

NJD, DET and COL are examples of teams built the RIGHT WAY and cost alot because they have had doezens of rounds of playoff money to draw from and the types of players who command that much money. I think this is fair & just that they have had the dominance of the league.

DR

Last edited:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
DementedReality said:
because they shouldnt care whats in the #'s. they dont deny their is less money available now to pay players and are willing to discuss new mechanisms for the owners to utulize to drag the *majority* of salaries.

IMO, they should care just in case this thing goes to the courts... For a more convincing argument, they will need to provide proof to go along with their theories... and to go along with their strategy of discrediting the Levitt report... The NHL has the Levitt report for the courts to mull over... IMO, the NHLPA will need something similar that supports their cause to help them compete in the 'evidence race'...

Their choice though...

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
I in the Eye said:
IMO, they should care just in case this thing goes to the courts... For a more convincing argument, they will need to provide proof to go along with their theories... and to go along with their strategy of discrediting the Levitt report... The NHL has the Levitt report for the courts to mull over... IMO, the NHLPA will need something similar that supports their cause to help them compete in the 'evidence race'...

Their choice though...
don't forget - the owners are under no obligation to show the books to anyone - this has been an issue with the nhlpa since the ted lindsay days - thus the levitt report -

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
mr gib said:
don't forget - the owners are under no obligation to show the books to anyone - this has been an issue with the nhlpa since the ted lindsay days - thus the levitt report -

True... If the owners don't show the books, then IMO, this adds fuel to the 'good faith' bargaining fire - it can work to the NHLPA's favour... And even if it's not an independent report of the league's revenue and finances, I think the NHLPA needs, at least, to have a formal, independent review of the Levitt report... Something that they can use as solid proof in case this goes to court...

It can't hurt 'em... If they don't like what this independent review says, they can hide it in a safe behind a portrait paiting of Goodenow...

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
DementedReality said:
What has TOR done that has made it worth the 60m payroll ? Show me more than one signing that TOR has done that has impacted the NHL payroll structure ? DR

Nowhere in my post did I say anything about one teams payroll affecting other teams payroll. What I said is that it is much much harder for a team with a $35 million payroll to be competitive than it is for a team with a $60 million payroll. What I am getting at is that if everyone in the league had the same budget (via salary cap or hard luxury tax) then everyone would have the opportunity to be competitive every year.

Brent Burns Beard