5 things that annoy me about the NHLPA (and supporters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Chelios said:
OTT, SJS, VAN and TBY would all be more likely to be able to keep their teams in tact under a cap than under the previous CBA IMO.

well considering they are all over the magical 31 million mark, how you propose they even keep what they have now, nevre mind in the future ?

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
rwilson99 said:
I can't show a specific example with TOR, but every overpriced signing by any team effects the signing of players who require qualifying offers and others in arbitration.

Example Bobby Holik's $9M/year contract drives up the average salary, making more and more marginal players, eligible for higher and higher qualifying offers. Also, Holik can be used as a comparable when other defensemen are in arbitration hearings.

This all happens when NYR is apparently a loss-leader in Cablevision's corporate umbrella.

1) Holik is not a defensman, nor can his UFA contract be used as a comparable in arbitration

2) How much does 9m impact the average of 1.5b ? Hardly.

3) There are hardly a handful of players each year who are able to use being under the average salary as a ticket to early UFA. Again, hardly an impact.

No one is being compared to Holik and his contract affects no one but NYR, big deal.

DR

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
rwilson99 said:
I can't show a specific example with TOR, but every overpriced signing by any team effects the signing of players who require qualifying offers and others in arbitration.

Example Bobby Holik's $9M/year contract drives up the average salary, making more and more marginal players, eligible for higher and higher qualifying offers. Also, Holik can be used as a comparable when other defensemen are in arbitration hearings.

This all happens when NYR is apparently a loss-leader in Cablevision's corporate umbrella.
arbitration is a big reason why things are the way they are - i heard it said the owners really blew it over that one - the players clearly owtwitted them - once again i ask - who's fault is that? - and before i get creamed - the arbitration process how it exists now has to be changed - a cap is going to do nothing -

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Smail said:
For example, luxury box cost grants access to all the events at the rink, so the teams allocate a part of the luxury box revenues to the other events. Usually, this is done based on the revenues that you earn from each event. (Ie: Revenues for hockey games (seats) during the year is $30M, for other events it's $15M.

This is one way to split these revenues, but Levitt didn't do it that way. He used attendance. It isn't just the luxury boxes where it is problematical. What about the advertising? Suppose a week long boat show draws 250,000 people. Or a dog show fills the rink for a week.

The luxury boxes may be empty and the boards have been taken down and the scoreboard isn't showing anything, but a person attending one of these events is allocated the same slice of advertising and luxury box money as a fan at the hockey game? Revenues is a much better way to do it in my opinion, but the more important point is that however you do it, the answer is very likely wrong. One formula can't fit 30 different businesses.

Nobody outside the company knows how the Canucks and GM Place revenues are now split. When the team-rink relationship was structured, Orca Bay allocated 100% of the corporate sponsorship and luxury box revenue to the rink. This may have changed by now, but if not, the league actually makes McCaw report more money to the URO than Canuck books show.

On the other hand, the Oilers get all of the luxury box revenue at Rexall Place because they built the boxes. When they report according to Levitt, they report less money than they actually take in. Perhaps it all comes out in the wash, but that would be a very surprising result. Everybody takes more or less than is reflected in the URO. The designated hockey revenues are a formula in a situation where a formula can't reflect reality.

If the NHLPA wanted to get a handle on real hockey revenues (or if Levitt wanted to do his job right) they have to examine the books of the team and all the affiliated businesses. They have to estimate a different percentage rink to rink because they are all different. In some of the Canadian rinks, almost all the advertising and luxury box revenue is generated by the hockey team. In Toronto, the Raptors would get a big chunk, but not nearly as big as the Leafs. In American markets the number would a lot smaller, perhaps only 20% of the advertising value if they share a facility with a successful basketball team.

If I was Goodenow, I might accept a relationship between revenues and salaries as long as the owners tabled the actual audited financial statements of each team and each affiliated entity along with the arena lease and broadcasting contracts. Then negotiate hockey revenues on a team by team basis in light of the specific business model and try to get to a realistic picture. Both sides can hire some full time people who work all year round tracking revenues in 30 different organizations.

It may not be entirely practical and it is expensive, but it is a reasonable way to do it. Set up an ongoing NHL-NHLPA committee that has complete and open access to the books of all NHL teams and the books of all affiliated businesses. The committee responsibility is to identify, on an ongoing basis, the hockey revenues.

What if Goodenow offered to do that. If he said, "Fine. We wiill link salaries to revenues on a sliding scale. The higher the revenues the larger our percentage. And we decide what hockey revenues are by negotiating them team by team. Forget this URO stuff. Let's table the real books and get to negotiating."

Tom

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Tom_Benjamin said:
This is one way to split these revenues, but Levitt didn't do it that way. He used attendance. It isn't just the luxury boxes where it is problematical. What about the advertising? Suppose a week long boat show draws 250,000 people. Or a dog show fills the rink for a week.

The luxury boxes may be empty and the boards have been taken down and the scoreboard isn't showing anything, but a person attending one of these events is allocated the same slice of advertising and luxury box money as a fan at the hockey game? Revenues is a much better way to do it in my opinion, but the more important point is that however you do it, the answer is very likely wrong. One formula can't fit 30 different businesses.

Nobody outside the company knows how the Canucks and GM Place revenues are now split. When the team-rink relationship was structured, Orca Bay allocated 100% of the corporate sponsorship and luxury box revenue to the rink. This may have changed by now, but if not, the league actually makes McCaw report more money to the URO than Canuck books show.

On the other hand, the Oilers get all of the luxury box revenue at Rexall Place because they built the boxes. When they report according to Levitt, they report less money than they actually take in. Perhaps it all comes out in the wash, but that would be a very surprising result. Everybody takes more or less than is reflected in the URO. The designated hockey revenues are a formula in a situation where a formula can't reflect reality.

If the NHLPA wanted to get a handle on real hockey revenues (or if Levitt wanted to do his job right) they have to examine the books of the team and all the affiliated businesses. They have to estimate a different percentage rink to rink because they are all different. In some of the Canadian rinks, almost all the advertising and luxury box revenue is generated by the hockey team. In Toronto, the Raptors would get a big chunk, but not nearly as big as the Leafs. In American markets the number would a lot smaller, perhaps only 20% of the advertising value if they share a facility with a successful basketball team.

If I was Goodenow, I might accept a relationship between revenues and salaries as long as the owners tabled the actual audited financial statements of each team and each affiliated entity along with the arena lease and broadcasting contracts. Then negotiate hockey revenues on a team by team basis in light of the specific business model and try to get to a realistic picture. Both sides can hire some full time people who work all year round tracking revenues in 30 different organizations.

It may not be entirely practical and it is expensive, but it is a reasonable way to do it. Set up an ongoing NHL-NHLPA committee that has complete and open access to the books of all NHL teams and the books of all affiliated businesses. The committee responsibility is to identify, on an ongoing basis, the hockey revenues.

What if Goodenow offered to do that. If he said, "Fine. We wiill link salaries to revenues on a sliding scale. The higher the revenues the larger our percentage. And we decide what hockey revenues are by negotiating them team by team. Forget this URO stuff. Let's table the real books and get to negotiating."

Tom
i agree - " the real books "

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:

Tom

For once we agree... partly. ;)

About the way to allocate revenues, what I said was the most intuitive for me at first sight. However, I'd have to verify if attendance wouldn't be a more accurate way to allocate the revenues. Sounds possible.

Anyway, regardless of how they currently calculate it, I think that at least the NHLPA ought to verify if it wouldn't be possible to tie revenues and expenses if they can specify accounting principles to be used in the calculation. However, at this point, I don't think that the NHLPA cares at all about this possibility. They just want the free lunch to continue.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Smail said:
For once we agree... partly. ;)

About the way to allocate revenues, what I said was the most intuitive for me at first sight. However, I'd have to verify if attendance wouldn't be a more accurate way to allocate the revenues. Sounds possible.

Anyway, regardless of how they currently calculate it, I think that at least the NHLPA ought to verify if it wouldn't be possible to tie revenues and expenses if they can specify accounting principles to be used in the calculation. However, at this point, I don't think that the NHLPA cares at all about this possibility. They just want the free lunch to continue.
that bit about the free lunch - just doesn't wash -

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Chelios said:
There are alot of things that annoy me, and that I truely cannot understand from the point of view of the players and their supporters. Here are my top 5:

5) The argument that everything would be fine as long as owners and GMs stuck to their budget.

The problem is that everyone could stick to a budget, but when New York and Toronto have a 60 million dollar budget its still going to be nearly impossible for Calgary or Edmonton to compete with a 35 million dollar budget. The NHL needs an even financial playing field, they don`t have that right now.

I know what you mean i'm so sick of seeing Toronto and New York compete for the Cup every year. Oh wait, never mind. Dont forget the Blues or the Stars, the Wings and Avs lately. How about those Flyers?

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Smail said:
Anyway, regardless of how they currently calculate it, I think that at least the NHLPA ought to verify if it wouldn't be possible to tie revenues and expenses if they can specify accounting principles to be used in the calculation.

Not good enough. The issue has nothing to do with accounting principles. When we are dealing with Orca Bay in Vancouver accounting principles can put 100% of the shared revenue in either the team or the rink. There is no real answer.

When calculating rink revenues to allocate to the Vancouver Canucks, the NHLPA could quite reasonably claim that 90% of the sponsorship and luxury boxes should be deemed hockey revenue. In the case of the Los Angeles Kings, the NHLPA might have to settle for 25% of the advertising revenue in the rink. All board revenue should surely be deemed hockey revenue. And so on. Concession revenues probably does split out best on attendance. Because the affiliate is often a media or cable outlet, broadcast revenues have to be negotiated team by team too.

Both the NHL and NHLPA would have to come to thoroughly understand the workings of all 30 businesses and negotiate a real revenue number based on each team's reality. It will take thousands of man hours to negotiate and set up the tracking system, but once done it won't need to be changed unless the team's circumstances change.

If I was Goodenow, I think I would announce a willingness to do exactly that. They aren't willing to divide up revenues based on any formulas invented for the NBA or by Arthur Levitt. They will negotiate the revenues determined on a team by team assessment and based on the actual books of the actual teams. No more of this "fill out the form according to the URO formula" stuff.

The real stuff, team by team. If the state of New Jersey is paying the Devils $3 million a year as part of a deal to prevent them from moving, it counts. If MSG gets a $15 million tax credit from the city of New York, 10% of it might be considered Ranger revenues. If the Gaylord Entertainment Centre is subsidising the team through the arena lease, the subsidy is hockey revenue. And so on.

I don't think the teams would do it, but at worst Goodenow regains the high ground and basically negates Levitt. "We want to negotiate revenues team by team based on the individual situations so we get a picture of hockey revenues that is close to reality. The teams show us their real books and won't negotiate real revenues. They want us to negotiate one formula that pretends to capture real numbers of thirty different teams. That's impractical for us because we can't possibly tell what is fair. If we are going to tie revenues to salaries, we calculate revenues properly team by team based on the actual team books."

At best, the owners surprise me and decide complete transparency is also in their best interests and go along.

Tom

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
You know the biggest thing that annoys me about the NHLPA, is that Ted Saskin, and Bob Goodenow continuously display that they don't believe that Revenues and Expenses are connected very closely.

Any business runs by how much they make, in relation to how much they spend. It's that damn simple, as Brian Burke has stated many times during this lockout, if the NHLPA continue to dismiss the fact that revenues and expenses in this league, just like in any other business are DIRECTLY related, then they are insulting the game, and the fans of the game by assuming we're all stupid and can't see right through their pathetic attempt at playing dumb.

Whether the NHLPA likes it or not, Revenues and Expenses(Team Revenues and Player Salaries, as well as other expenses in running a professional franchise) are intertwined.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
JWI19 said:
I know what you mean i'm so sick of seeing Toronto and New York compete for the Cup every year. Oh wait, never mind. Dont forget the Blues or the Stars, the Wings and Avs lately. How about those Flyers?

Are you honestly trying to tell me that it is just as easy to ice a playoff team with a $35 million payroll than it is with a $60 million payroll? I never said that teams with low payrolls can`t make the playoffs or even challenge for the cup, nor did I say that every team with a high payroll will contend for the cup. I am simply saying that it is much much harder for a team with a low payroll to contend for the cup than it is for teams with high payrolls, anyone who says other wise is living in a dream world. Some form of salary cap will even the playing field.

Brent Burns Beard