News Article: 5 Questions w/ Ken Hitchcock

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726188&navid=DL|NHL|home

In the days following a quick exit from the Stanley Cup Playoffs, St. Louis Blues coach Ken Hitchcock talked about the evolution of his team, understanding the components necessary to succeed in the Western Conference and learning from the lessons provided in losing. Hitchcock said multiple times that the six-game series loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in the Western Conference First Round provided the Blues a complete evaluation of where they stand and what they still needed to do to become a Stanley Cup contender.

Hitchcock talked with NHL.com about some of the changes and offered his thoughts on how they could improve the Blues, who finished second in the Central Division last season with 111 points.

Here are Five Questions with … Ken Hitchcock:

Last edited by a moderator:

BergMan

Mar 31, 2009
Brooklyn
Steve ott was the best forward when we played Chicago.....

What? I know he's an NHL head coach but did we watch the same games?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

He has said this several times and it annoys me each time. Tarasenko was the Blues' best forward and it is not up for debate. He had the greatest impact on the outcome of the games. He was awesome(as he always seems to be against the Hawks) and he deserves the credit. I have no idea why he keeps saying this garbage.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would assume....energy and gritty play. Ott was always noticeable out there...for better or for worse. Luckily most of that playoffs series is fuzzy now...eases the pain. I could be mistaken and forgetting things lol

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I wouldn't word it that way, but the point was that Ott elevated his game significantly against Chicago from what he'd been showing during the regular season. If not for Ott being able to step into Backes' role and allow the team to continue functioning, I think the Blues would have collapsed when Backes went down. As it happened, they lost a couple extremely close games before Backes' return, that could have gone either way. (Frankly, if the PP had been average, the Blues would have been up 3-1.)

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
good to know hitch acknowledges stastny's potential, but lehterä's and lindstrom's. it's good to know though that despite hitch's breakup with his significant other, sobe, that he has faith in the new man in his life, healthy steve.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'd like to know:

What did the Blues know about Ott's injury at the time of the trade. Either it was a surprise, or they knew. Because it sounds like the need for surgery already existed at that time and he'd determined he was going to play through it.

If they knew, then I think that says something about how lowly the Blues held Stewart in regard. They were determined to get him off the books even if it was with an injured Ott coming back.

If they didn't know, then I think there should be some ramifications. I'd be curious what Buffalo's staff knew at that time.

Abdominal hernias, I understand, are painful but its something guys can play through if they're willing to endure the pain. So its entirely possible all parties were well aware.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I'd like to know:

What did the Blues know about Ott's injury at the time of the trade. Either it was a surprise, or they knew. Because it sounds like the need for surgery already existed at that time and he'd determined he was going to play through it.

If they knew, then I think that says something about how lowly the Blues held Stewart in regard. They were determined to get him off the books even if it was with an injured Ott coming back.

If they didn't know, then I think there should be some ramifications. I'd be curious what Buffalo's staff knew at that time.

Abdominal hernias, I understand, are painful but its something guys can play through if they're willing to endure the pain. So its entirely possible all parties were well aware.

I was wondering the same thing. Or was it the shoulder that was banged up when he came over, and the hernia appeared later. Either way, we should go Judge Houston on them and get 5 picks back. :handclap:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Like I've been saying, Ott wasn't the BEST forward but he was good in the playoffs. Anyone who disagrees just simply wasn't paying attention.

Not surprised Ott played through injuries, he seems like the type that would be willing to do it, much like a Jackman.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I see the reporters are still not asking an important question:

"When you kept putting Jackman and Polak together on the same pairing, just what the hell was wrong with you?"

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort

I just got off the phone with Hitch and he wants a re-do! What he really meant to say was:

"Steve ott was the best non-scoring forward when we played Chicago....." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
He has said this several times and it annoys me each time. Tarasenko was the Blues' best forward and it is not up for debate. He had the greatest impact on the outcome of the games. He was awesome(as he always seems to be against the Hawks) and he deserves the credit. I have no idea why he keeps saying this garbage.

Maybe it's just me, but I just get the impression Hitch has something against Tarasenko, seeing how long it took him to give him consistent PP time as a example. This not giving Frank credit for his PO performance where it was truly due, is just another example of why I get that impression. But I could be way off base.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Personally, I felt the most egregious thing he said in the interview was applauding Ott's inclusion on perhaps the worst power play we've seen in a decade.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Personally, I felt the most egregious thing he said in the interview was applauding Ott's inclusion on perhaps the worst power play we've seen in a decade.
Steve Ott was standing in front of the net and had nothing to do with how bad it was. You need willing guys to go the net and he at least did it.

Blame everyone not named Steen or Shattenkirk for refusing to shoot the puck. Maybe with Ott's screens they could have scored but probably not.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maybe it's just me, but I just get the impression Hitch has something against Tarasenko, seeing how long it took him to give him consistent PP time as a example. This not giving Frank credit for his PO performance where it was truly due, is just another example of why I get that impression. But I could be way off base.

I don't think that's it. Hitch has given him praise. As for his comment....i think it's just PR more then anything

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I think it's absolute proof Ott will be centering the top line.

Steen - Ott - Backes

Which does look pretty good really.

Who wants to see majority's head assplode?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad