GDT: #5: Pittsburgh Penguins@Ottawa Senators|Scotiabank Place|Jan. 27th 5:00 PM EST

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Paul Martin played 30 minutes tonight and looked great. I guess Ray Shero does know what he's doing sometimes. It's looking like a good decision to keep Martin so far.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
Glad to see defense stepped up today.

Lots of boneheaded plays today. Kunitz... Malkin... big bailouts by Neal and Engo though.

Tangradi had a decent game at least.

Fire Lovejoy.

Hope Niskanen isn't out for long.

yeah hopefully Niskanen will be ready for the next game. Sucks to say but he's one of our best D men at this point.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Good win. Game was tough but Ottawa's playing well so a tough game was expected. You gotta be able to win these kind of tight games.

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
If Tangradi plays like he did today, and Kunitz plays like he did today, the two need to switch spots.

Kunitz is garbage right now. Three turnovers in the 3rd period alone. What is he doing right now?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Good win. Game was tough but Ottawa's playing well so a tough game was expected. You gotta be able to win these kind of tight games.

I thought Ottawa looked a lot sloppier than I've seen from them most of the season. Things you don't expect to see-- especially from a guy like Karlsson-- you saw . . . thankfully from a Pens perspective.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kunitz has been our worst forward this year. Pretty troubling.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Paul Martin has looked like a 5 million dollar defenseman so far.

And Patrick Marleau is on pace for a 100 point season.

As with most things Penguins these days, I'm worried how things will translate in the playoffs. This team has too much talent not to get there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kunitz has been our worst forward this year. Pretty troubling.

Yeah.

Hey, was it me, or does Glass actually look like the best option for Geno and Neal? I thought he played pretty well with them. Instinctively knew when to support and when to give space.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The powerplay continues to be an abomination, and Kunitz is pissing me off. But 2 points is 2 points. This team is still miles from where it needs to be, though.

And yes, Shero still needs to bring in a skilled winger for Sid's line, and soon since Kunitz continues to play like an idiot.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah.

Hey, was it me, or does Glass actually look like the best option for Geno and Neal? I thought he played pretty well with them. Instinctively knew when to support and when to give space.

I was thinking that too. He caused a ton of havoc during what was the best shift of the game for us.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah.

He could be a decent stopgap for the time being.

JTG brought it up, but we'd be set IMO if we picked up Seto+Clutterbuck.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah Kunitz, Dupuis, and Malkin's revolving door of left wingers are all glaring holes so far this season. Crosby's line has virtually done nothing 5 on 5. We are 3-2 which is cool, but we need for Kunitz to get his head out of his ass and more skill on the wings. Sutter was also pretty bad today. So right now, the only 3 players that can score are Geno, Sid, and Neal. That's pretty sad.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought Ottawa looked a lot sloppier than I've seen from them most of the season. Things you don't expect to see-- especially from a guy like Karlsson-- you saw . . . thankfully from a Pens perspective.

Maybe.

Anderson is really carrying the load for them and he did again tonight which is part of why the game was tough. You could just tell neither goalie was going to give up much in this one. Thankfully Anderson kind of fell apart in the shootout.

Gotta give props to Martin for another solid performance and Engelland had a few nice defensive plays late.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Get Letang off the powerplay. Kuntiz too. Make it structured so these guys will settle it down.

Crosby-Malkin-Neal
Niskanen-Martin

This game wouldn't have been contested if our PP was stable.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
He could be a decent stopgap for the time being.

JTG brought it up, but we'd be set IMO if we picked up Seto+Clutterbuck.

This team could use a little gentlemanly swag

cal-clutterbuck.jpg

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Glass can't play a top six role.
He doesn't have the brain for it.

Matt Cooke however, can.

I'd put Kunitz back with Geno/Neal.
Move TK back to the 3rd.
Put Cooke on Sid's wing.
If that doesn't work, try TK or Bennett for a game.

After that, just pray this team gets out of the habit of offense first and break out as a 5 man unit. DB said they are working on it but it seems like a habit that is going to be hard for them to break.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was thinking that too. He caused a ton of havoc during what was the best shift of the game for us.

But, it was constructive havoc, and Malkin seemed to feed off that all over the ice. He'd dump, knowing Glass could get there. He (and Neal) trusted him in the cycle, because Glass knew when to help and when not to help. I doubt that it's a solution, but it's the best available option right now.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Yeah.

He does. I second this motion.

I want to see what Bennett could do on a Sid line. It's not like Kunitz is doing "great" and the early part of the season is when we should be giving test runs.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dupuis is tough. I think he's our 2nd-best top-6 winger, but he has no finish. Someone post the "No Hands" Dupuis picture, because he reared his ugly head today.

I don't know what to do with Kunitz. Does he work his way out of it? If you acquire a top-6 winger where does he go? Malkin has been *so* emotional lately, that I'd hate to see him PMSing after a few shifts with Kunitz... Tough spot for Shero.

Glad they were able to tighten the reigns on the breakouts and the D-zone stuff, but still a lot to work out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Glass can't play a top six role.
He doesn't have the brain for it.

Matt Cooke however, can.

I'd put Kunitz back with Geno/Neal.
Move TK back to the 3rd.
Put Cooke on Sid's wing.
If that doesn't work, try TK or Bennett for a game.

After that, just pray this team gets out of the habit of offense first and break out as a 5 man unit. DB said they are working on it but it seems like a habit that is going to be hard for them to break.

I wouldn't have thought so, but he showed it tonight. I haven't seen as much sustained offensive zone pressure from Geno and Neal all season as I saw with Glass in the third. He seems to get instinctively not only what his role is but also what Geno and Neal need from him. Whether he can continue to show that and whether it translates into production from the line remains to be seen, but I expect to see Glass the whole game there on Tuesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad