5 Nations Tounament U18 (Europe + USA)

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
and arguably the worst I have ever seen.

crap coach, "paid off" roster spots. It's actually a problem of all of Russian hockey (and junior specifically) and the only reason Bragin became a coach of u20 - terrible 7th place finish by Plyushev team (his team had a whoping 1,5 lines playing the rest were so called "passengers")

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Does it work? It's not working for me yet :) I'm watching on tv.

Unfortunately it doesn't... "This content is not available at your territory due to limited copyright." I suspect any archive will suffer from the same issue. Bummer.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Unfortunately it doesn't... "This content is not available at your territory due to limited copyright." I suspect any archive will suffer from the same issue. Bummer.

Well, that's new to me. Not so long ago they didn't have this copyright thing in their broadcasts :shakehead After the first it's 1-1. USA is better, but we are playing decent game so far.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
1-3
after good start, two big faults :cry:

The score doesn't matter that much. But this one was really solid game by the Czech team IMO, I really enjoyed this match. Especially Hertl played very strong game.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I noticed the Czechs outshot the US by a decent bit. Did they carry the play in the game? Perhaps with the addition of Jaskin and Frk the Czech team will be in medal contention at the worlds in April.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Not surprised by Russia.

Regardless of who 'paid their way', its well known that 1993/1994 generations are poor. There's little depth behind Khokhlachev, Yakupov, Nesterov, Shalunov, Prokhorkin, Kucherov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Kamaev....maybe Zharkov.

From what I gather, 1995 looks amazing though.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I noticed the Czechs outshot the US by a decent bit. Did they carry the play in the game? Perhaps with the addition of Jaskin and Frk the Czech team will be in medal contention at the worlds in April.

Don't forget the US played 3rd game in 3 days. Yes, it was good game by the Czech team, but they didn't carry the play, both teams were able to push their opponent during the game. Gibson made a big part of that 2 goal difference in score. I think this Czech team could reach semifinal with Jaškin and Frk, but they need to stick to playing their system as they did at Ivan Hlinka tournament and yesterday.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Regardless of who 'paid their way', its well known that 1993/1994 generations are poor.
No surprise there. Russian junior hockey is in a decline.

From what I gather, 1995 looks amazing though.
Is 1995 age group a fluke or sign of better things to come?

I'm just afraid that many of the 1995 borns will ruin themselves by going to NA too early.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
No surprise there. Russian junior hockey is in a decline.

Is 1995 age group a fluke or sign of better things to come?

I'm just afraid that many of the 1995 borns will ruin themselves by going to NA too early.

I agree with your comments about the negative effect of going to North America, especially when they go too early - whatever happened to Grachev, Voinov, Goncharov, etc?

One factor that might ease the pain is to keep in mind that Russian youth teams have always been late bloomers that get better as they advance in age. Even back in Soviet teams, there was nothing like the massive investment made in North America to start playing on competitive teams at a very early age. Soviet and Russian kids were never introduced to competitive hockey situations until they were much older. Give them a couple of years to mature and the 1993-94 kids might make a very good U20 team in 2013.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
I second that. Any thoughts about Nikita Kucherov and his chances of getting drafted?

IMO, he will be late pick at best. Very skilled but also undersized(5-10), very soft and lacks character. Soft and quick hands, good offensive instinct but as I said, doesn´t like being hit, doesn´t like playing in corner, diver, doesn´t care much about defensive responsibilities.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Do you have any other opinions you can share with us? I'm most interested in the US team but anything would be appreciated.

Regarding USA: On D I like Connor Murphy the most, excellent upside. Paliotta has also NHL potencial but more as stay at home D. Russo is very average defensively and not great on PP. Moves puck well and can rush the puck up the ice. Questionable NHL potencial. Among forwards, Miller is the best prospect for me. Grimaldi will be NHL player IMO despite of his size, fun to watch. I´m not fan of Biggs, someone will take him in first round but I don´t think he has enough smartness/offensive instinct to be top 6 forward on NHL team, more of checker. Larazza has upside but lacks more of hockey sense. Pietila and Boucher are very good players at this level here but I´m not sure they are NHL prospects(but I really liked Pietila´s game here).
Gibson is NHL top goalie prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad