5 most exciting hockey players ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

(lone)Yashinfan#79

sorry, had to do ten

1 Gretzky
(was still more significant and exciting than 10 michael jordans...i bet #99 could still be a 50-60 pt. guy even today, maybe that's not giving him enough credit though)

2 Howe
(having the good fortune to see him live during his NHL Whalers stint was a treat, although i probably didn't realize the full impact of it at the time...also, watching old footage of him i notice that Gordie was ambidexterous [sic?] working the stick)

3 Lemieux
(at that point in my life, it seemed like all the finesse guys were leftie and up until that time Lafleur had been the only rightie in that vein; if he could have stayed healthy Mario would be well past stat whores like Hull and Messier).

4 Kharlamov
(so gifted...i've gotten my hands on every 70s tape, exhibition, et al, purely to watch this guy...the best stickhandler, ever, and one of the 2-3 most creative playermakers of all time)

5 Lafleur
(growing up an NYR fan, it was kinda hard not to appreciate the mid/late 70s Habs teams and the way they got the blue line, 3 aside, effortlessly...half the people in the garden felt the same way)

6 Orr
(he peaked a bit before my time, so i didn't get a chance to witness his glory years as they happened...another one whose career sadly ended long before it should have)

7 Forsberg
(still the best one on one player in hockey...IMO, currently the single best forward in the corners, one of the 1-2 best assist guys, is meaner than a snake...his style brings a tear to the eye, literally)

8 Leetch
(other than Coffey, perhaps the only player since Orr who had that uncanny surge in transition)

9 Sergei Makarov
(KLM line was just artful to watch operate... fit right in with an already stacked Cup winning Flames team...can't believe that team didn't win like 3 more cups)

10 Jari Kurri
(the best sniper Wayne ever had on his wing and probably the most exciting breakaway/penalty shot guy ever)

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
There's something about that Savardian spin-o-rama that just makes him instantly entertaining, just like a Bure breakaway or Gretzky behind the net. Each player mentioned has a unique talent that seperates him from the pack and makes him instantly recognizable just as there is something so inexplicabley exciting about Bobby Orr circling around the other teams blue line waiting for the perfect situation to materialize. With so many players to choose from its hard to pick just five!

Last edited:

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Habsfan 32 said:
Gretzky
Lemieux
Bure
Kovalev
Koivu

Kovalev?
Koivu?

You need to watch more hockey tapes. While I like Koivu, and appreciate what he went through, he is not even remotely CLOSE to players like Mike Bossy or Bobby Hull or Bobby Orr or Rocket Richard or...

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
DisgruntledHawkFan said:
Steve Sullivan is very good on the breakaway. Not the best but he deserves to be mentioned.

he stinks at penalty shots, though

sully is part of one of my most exciting moments of live hockey, but he's not one of the top 5 most exciting players I've ever seen.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I will stick to guys I have seen live.

Denis Savard-absolutely magical when he had the puck. He scored a goal against Edmonton that is on a generic tape about the NHL's greatest goals that was just Jaw dropping.

Wayne Gretzky-What can be said about him that hasnt probably been said. Even when he came to the Blues for that breif period when he was getting older he was still awesome. I remember a home game against the Devile where he had 3 or 4 points and every time his line was on the ice they created something and the crowd knew this and was a buzz every time he took a shift.

Mario Lemieux- Again another name that speaks for itself I remeber a game he lit up the Blues in the mid 90's it was the same game that Leroux beat Twist in a memorable scrap for Pens fans. He for sure had a Hat Trick and I think more.

Brett Hull-One of the best goal scorers ever and during that 3 year period when he was on a tear capping it off with his 86 goal season the Blues were basically up 1-0 when they came out for warmups. The prettiest goal I ever saw him score was in the 90-91 playoffs vs the Wings, he came down the wing and beat Bobby Dollas and put a rocket off the far post past Tim Cheveldae.

Cam Neely- I have to give some props to the beat Power Forward that I saw play he would use his skill to score a big goal, throw a huge body check and then beat the hell out of someone. As much as I enjoy physical play I have to mention Cam.

Wendel Clark-See Neely

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I'll only list five players I've seen play. The most exciting for me were:

1) Denis Savard -- insane moves, the epitome of slick stickhandling and as much creativity and imagination as anyone I've ever seen. Didn't produce as much as some of the all-time greats, but his points were almost ALL fun and exciting.

2) Guy Lafleur -- the hair flying through the breeze, the wicked slap shot from the blue line, the way he could dance around defensemen and those oh so smooth passes. It's rare when Flower would be on the ice and you would NOT be on the edge of your seat.

3) Paul Coffey -- he didn't invent going coast-to-coast when leading a rush, but he perfected it. In fact, he did it with so little effort it was both astonishing and breath-taking at the same time. He was also exciting for all the wrong reasons if you're a coach, because he provided a ton of scoring chances at both ends of the ice.

4) Wayne Gretzky -- what can you say. He wasn't nearly as exciting later on in his career, but while with Edmonton he made moves that just look silly nowadays. There was that "2-minute drill" against the Colorado Rockies, when he danced around everybody, straddled the blueline and held onto the puck for what seemed like an entire shift, then fed a streaking Kurri. Or, there's the wicked slap shot against Calgary, his one-man show against Toronto, his behind-the-back passes, his curl-and-wait move at the blueline. He excited your brain as much as your heart.

5) Al Iafrate -- Don't laugh. When healthy and early on with the Leafs, Iafrate could go coast-to-coast, blow a super slapper by the goalie and even knock the snot out of a forward while crossing the blue line. Something ALWAYS happened when "Wild Thing" was on the ice. He was part of one of the most exciting teams of all time IMHO, the Doug Carpenter-led Leafs, with Peter Ing in goal and lots of kids up front (Clark, Damphousse, Daniel Marois, Gary Leeman). They couldn't play D at all, so they didn't bother. It was fun to watch.
Good call on Iafrate he had all the tools and would have had an even better career if mot for the Knee injuries. I think he was the first player to win both the hardest shot and fastest skater at the all star game.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The most exciting I've seen, in no particular order (other than maybe #1).

Guy Lafleur - If you've seen the clip of the Flower scoring the tying goal against Boston, game 7, 1979 that's a taste of what the man brought to a game. Speed, skill and finesse...and he could shoot the puck.

Bobby Hull - The Golden Jet in full flight, coming down the wing and letting go that shot was an awesome sight. I wonder how many goalers he was responsible for donning the mask.

Bobby Orr - the puck possesion master, totally fearless (to a fault). I hated him cause he played against favorite team then (the Habs) but once I got older I realized that was respect, not hate. He could control a game like no other.

Mario Lemieux - If ever there was one player who could dominate a game offensively by himself, it was Mario in his prime. Some very average players put up some nice numbers playing along side him. I still marvel at his play in the playoffs of the Pens two cups.

Paul Coffey - the best skater I ever saw, watching him and Mario on the same pp was incredible. It's no coincidence they were on the Pens team that set the record for pp goals in a season.

Wayne Gretzky - Later on he was more of a play maker but early in his career he was an exciting scorer. The game in particular I remember is the night he scored 5 goals to hit 50 in 39 games (still the record). what an awesome performance that night.

Jaromir Jagr - He is so strong on the puck and gifted making plays. Injuries have worn him down but in his prime he was the top offensive player in the game.

And to go off the charts...Eddie Shack...He had some talent but he was as much inclined to try to entertain the fans as he was to try and score a goal. Hence the nickname' the Entertainer'.

Jovo Cop

1-Lafleur ..speed and the art of "dekeing" something sadly lacking in todays hockey
2-Sittler- still remeber the 10 point night like it was yesterday
3-Tiger Williams-many memorable nights as a Leaf
4-Gretzky ..nuff said
5-Steve Shutt -rocket launcher that goal against Tretiak in the 3-3 draw was one of the hardest shots EVER!!!!

Now i know these are not the consensus top guys but they are the guys who made my youth watching "real" hockey so enjoyable !!

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
1. Bobby Orr
2. Bobby Hull
3. Yvan Courneyor
4. Guy Lafleur
5. Cam Neely

Others that made/make me get out of my seat.
- Sergei Samsonov
- Ilya Kovalchuk
- Rick Middleton
- Gretzky
- Jagr
- Lemieux
- Eddie Shack
- Forsberg
- Coffey
- Fleury
- Terry O'Reilly
- Hasek
- Pie MacKenzie

YEMELIN74

Feb 12, 2004
Lévis
1- Pavel Bure probably the best russian to ever played in the nhl if i wouldnt had all these knee problem
2- Mario Lemieux
3- Wayne Greztky
4- Selanen when he was with winnipeg
5- Federov
6- Forsberg

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
jiggs 10 said:
Kovalev?
Koivu?

You need to watch more hockey tapes. While I like Koivu, and appreciate what he went through, he is not even remotely CLOSE to players like Mike Bossy or Bobby Hull or Bobby Orr or Rocket Richard or...

This is about 5 most exciting hockey players, not about 5 all-time greats or something. Therefore the whole thing is even more subjective than this type of thread normally are. I've seen old tapes where guys like Richard play, but they did not make me very excited. It could be that those of us used to the modern type of play just can't get too excited about the really old stuff.

My list:

1. The Soviet Union Green Unit (Larionov, Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov & Kasatonov)
2. Gretzky
3. Lemieux
4. Selanne
5. Forsberg

Edit: I realize I'm breaking the rule of 5 by including the Green Unit here, but hey, they played like one man! Every time they were on ice, it was a hockey orgy.

Last edited:

Sabres11forever

Jul 5, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
This is about 5 most exciting hockey players, not about 5 all-time greats or something. Therefore the whole thing is even more subjective than this type of thread normally are. I've seen old tapes where guys like Richard play, but they did not make me very excited. It could be that those of us used to the modern type of play just can't get too excited about the really old stuff.

My list:

1. The Soviet Union Green Unit (Larionov, Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov & Kasatonov)
2. Gretzky
3. Lemieux
4. Selanne
5. Forsberg

Edit: I realize I'm breaking the rule of 5 by including the Green Unit here, but hey, they played like one man! Every time they were on ice, it was a hockey orgy.

I understand exciting as spectacular...and so, my list is as follows:
NHL Stars
1. Mario Lemeiux
2. Bobby Orr
3. Gilbert Perreault
4. Bobby Hull
5. Paul Coffey

Sure Gretzky was a terrific hockey player, but he was more genius than excitement. I hate to say this but I would have Eddie Shack higher on my exciting list than Wayne Gretzky...I would go see Gretzky play while I lived in Calgary, he would look like he did nothing and you check the scoring summary and he had five points. That was genius! but not all that exciting.

My next 5 would be:

6. Pavel Bure
7. Guy Lafleur
8. Peter Forsberg
9. Maurice Richard
10. Frank Mahovlich

BTW, I am not saying that I am right...I am just telling you what I feel.

Russian Stars
1. Valeri Kharlamov
2. Alexander Yakushev
3. Helmut Balderis
4. Vladislav Tretiak
5. Boris Mikhailov

Guys that are missing , that I think should be mentioned as "exciting":

Jari Kurri
Peter Forsberg
Jaromir Jagr
Mark Messier
Theoren Fleury
Davey Keon
Eddie Shack
John Ferguson
Brad Park

Up and Comers:

1. Marion Gaborik
2. Dany Heatley
3. Ilya Kovelchuk
4. Dion Phaneuf
5. Alexander Perezhogin

And, from the archives:

Ariel Joliat
Eddie Shore
King Clancy
Joe Malone
Cyclone Taylor
Howie Mornez

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
c-carp said:
Mario Lemieux- Again another name that speaks for itself I remeber a game he lit up the Blues in the mid 90's it was the same game that Leroux beat Twist in a memorable scrap for Pens fans. He for sure had a Hat Trick and I think more.

He had five goals that game.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Gee Wally said:
1 - Bobby Orr

2- Lemieux

3 - Gretzky

4 - Lafleur

5 - Bobby Hull

This is the closest I have seen...

#1 Bobby Orr-Infamous ice rushes.

#2 Wayne Gretzky-Was not only dominant himself, made 30 goal scorers of all he played with.

#3 Mario Lemieux-Greatest goal scorer ever.

#4 Vladislav Tretiak

#5 Patrick Roy-Bigtime goalie.

jacklamabe65

Jan 31, 2005
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
1 - Bobby Orr

2- Lemieux

3 - Gretzky

4 - Lafleur

5 - Bobby Hull

I would add Rocket Richard and call it a deal. I feel blessed to have had a father who was a season-ticket owner of the Bruins from 1955-1975. Folks, Robert Gordon Orr was the Michael Jordan of hockey. Imagine having the top defenseman in the NHL LEAD THE LEAGUE IN SCORING as well. I have talked to scores of old hockey pros - from Dave Maloney to Gordie Howe - and all of them TO A MAN - think that Bobby Orr was "The Man." The reverence for him among his fellow players is almost poignant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad