5 most exciting hockey players ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

Here are my top 5:

1- Guy Lafleur- The flower is a 3 time art ross and hart trophy winner, scored 50 or more goals for 6 straight seasons as well as 120 + points for 6 straight seasons, lead habs to 4 consecutive cups and did that while being considered the most exciting player of his time and inspired 2 of the 3 considered best players of all time in Lemieux and Gretzky.

2- Mike Bossy: This guy was so great to watch as all his shots looked good. His wrist shot looked good, his slap shot looked good, 5 hole looked good, everything looked good. He lead his team to 4 straight cups in the 80-s and the last one of his 4 cups was when the Islanders swept the Oilers and the great one. This guy scored 50 or more goals for 9 of his first 10 seasons and couldnt reach the plateau in his last season due to injuries.

3- Pavel Bure: A great player and very exciting to watch, lead the canucks to the finals in 1994 but came up short. The russian rocket was one of the most exciting players of all time.

4- Mario Lemieux: The guy was truly magnificent and great to watch. Considered the greatest player of all time by many, the guy could deke 2 guys right out as well as the goalie and score. Could fight off 2 players on a breakaway and score. Look at his goal agains minnesota in the 91 finals where he danced around 2 players and the goalie and scored. Or when he toyed with captain Ray Bourque in the 1992 finals where he slid the puck between his skates and went in on the goalie and scored.

5- Jaromir Jagr: Great player, Jagr was really fun to watch during the 90-s and won the art ross three times in that period of time. He along with Mario combined in my opinion the most exciting duo to watch.

What are your top 5 most exciting players of all time? Please state a few lines backing up your choices like I did. Discuss!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
For me, the 5 players I've enjoyed watching the most:

1. Pavel Bure
2. Denis Savard
3. Todd Bertuzzi
4. Alexander Ovechkin
5. Tuomo Ruutu

Most exciting all-time would have to include Guy Lafleur. I never got to see him play.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Most exciting players that I've seen (in no particular order):

1) Pavel Bure
2) Pat Lafontaine
3) Brian Leetch
4) Mario Lemieux
5) Jaromir Jagr

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
of the players i've watched

1. mario lemieux
2. jaromir jagr
3. pavel bure
4. wayne gretzky
5. pat lafontaine

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Most exciting that I have watched would have to be....

1. Wayne Gretzky - the great noe produced some of the greatest plays ever...and he did it on a nighly basis. Rarely was there a game where Gretzky didn't make a move or set up a play that made your jaw drop...especially back in the Oilers days.

2. Mario Lemieux - always had an amazing move or two up his sleeve. So entertaining to watch.

3. Guy Lafleur - the only hockey player I truely idolized. As a kid I watched habs games every Saturday night and Lafleur was the reason I became a hockey fan.

4. Vladislav Tretiak - so many great Russia vs _________ games in which he played brilliantly. Can't recall him ever having a bad game.

5. Saku Koivu - seeing that 95% of the hockey games I watch involve the Montreal Canadiens, and considering that in the past few years I've probablely watched at least 70 hab games a year, I have seen more Saku than any other player in the league (as far as players that can be considered 'exciting'), so he makes my list. His hockey sense is off the charts.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
[1]Mario Lemieux- IMO the most talented player ever and a great flare for the dramatic.
[2]Mike Bossy- Maybe the best cluch player ever. Plus he could score from anyplace on the ice.
[3]Denis Savard- Anytime he had the puck there was a chace that he could do something electric.
[4]Wayne Gretzky- Had the most elite hockey sense and could make something out of nothing.
[5]Bobby Orr- He could just do so many things. He could skate, stickhandle, or bull his way through a team.

Last edited:
That I personally have seen:

Wayne Gretzky- a living highlight for an entire decade.

Paul Coffey- no more exhilirating feeling than watching Coffey "wind up" and start the rush. You knew something would happen.

Mario Lemieux- Like Gretz from 87 to 95.

Gilbert Perreault- absolutely amazing player. To my mind among the most under-rated ever. Could skate, pass and stickhandle better than anyone on the ice. One of the most physically gifted players I've seen until Mario showed up.

Denis Potvin- old guard defenceman who played with everything he had. Could hit a ton, great passer and a sneaky way of getting pucks on net.

Denis Savard- You needed a bazooka to knock him off the puck. No player since Denis made an NHL rink look so much like a pond as when he decided to play "keep-away"

Jaromir Jagr- Did things with the puck that made even Mario do a double-take.

Al McInnis- Every power play you knew where the puck was going, you knew what the Flames (or Blues) were trying to do. Didn't matter. The moment you saw that wind-up you sat up a little more in your seat.

Grant Fuhr- The best reflex-goalie of the modern era made saves that should not have been possible. Fastest glove I've ever seen bar none.

On tape:

Guy Lafleur- I've seen Guy live, but he was on the downslope of his career then. Watching the old tapes he looks sooooooo dangerous every second he's on the ice.

Bobby Orr- Like Coffey a decade later and had just as many highlight reel stops as scores.

Larry Robinson- Like Guy I've seen him many times live, but in the mid-70s he was absolutely devastating to watch. Hits like Stevens, skates like Leetch, shoots like MacInnis and passes like Bourque. The single most intimidating defenseman I can think of.

SChan*

Peter Forsberg
Peter Forsberg
Peter Forsberg
Peter Forsberg
Peter Forsberg

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
#66 said:
[1]Mario Lemieux- IMO the most talented player ever and a great flare for the dramatic.
[2]Mike Bossy- Maybe the best cluch player ever. Plus he could score from anyplace on the ice.
[3]Denis Savard- Anytime he had the puck there was a chace that he could do something electric.
[4]Wayne Gretzky- Had the most elite hockey sense and could make something out of nothing.
[5]Bobby Orr- He could just so many things. He could skate, stickhandle, or bull his way through a team.

Switch Lemieux for Guy Lafleur, and this is my list, too. Although in a different order.
Hum...
1.) The Flower and his "blistering blast" off the right wing.
2.) Denis Savard. The best puck carrier ever!
3.) Bobby Orr. Did something great every shift.
4.) Gretzky. A new move or pass every shift, sometimes 2 or 3 a shift.
5.) Mike Bossy. The greatest goal scorer of the modern era was fun to watch.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
One's I've seen (in no order)

Peter Forsberg
Sergei Samsonov
David Legwand
Dany Heatley
Ilya Kovalchuk
Marian Gaborik
Jay Bouwmeester
Markus Naslund
Jarome Iginla
Eric Lindros
Joe Thornton
Teemu Selanne
Vincent Lecavalier
Brad Richards
Brendan Morrow
Miroslav Satan
Simon Gagne

It's a huge list, I know. :)

AG9NK35DT8*

5 most exciting players:
And not in any particular order.

1-Jagr
2-Bure, Pavel
3-Hasek
4-Brodeur
5-Lemieux

Many regards to Gretz, Forsberg and Roy even add some young guys like Kovalchuk ot the list as well as Heatley.There are many others but its hard to put down an 1st or 2nd year pros because you cant compare them to all the year alll these vets been seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
When they got the puck you knew something special was going to happen:

1.) Orr
2.) Lafleur
3.) Lemieux
4.) Bure
5.) Perreault
6.) Gretzky
7.) Kharlamov
8.) Bossy
9.) Savard
10.) Coffey

When someone else (opposing team) got the puck you knew something special was going to happen:

1.) Robinson
2.) Hasek
3.) Stevens
4.) Tretiak
5.) Plante

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Malefic74 said:
That I personally have seen:

Wayne Gretzky- a living highlight for an entire decade.

Paul Coffey- no more exhilirating feeling than watching Coffey "wind up" and start the rush. You knew something would happen.

Mario Lemieux- Like Gretz from 87 to 95.

Gilbert Perreault- absolutely amazing player. To my mind among the most under-rated ever. Could skate, pass and stickhandle better than anyone on the ice. One of the most physically gifted players I've seen until Mario showed up.

Denis Potvin- old guard defenceman who played with everything he had. Could hit a ton, great passer and a sneaky way of getting pucks on net.

Denis Savard- You needed a bazooka to knock him off the puck. No player since Denis made an NHL rink look so much like a pond as when he decided to play "keep-away"

Jaromir Jagr- Did things with the puck that made even Mario do a double-take.

Al McInnis- Every power play you knew where the puck was going, you knew what the Flames (or Blues) were trying to do. Didn't matter. The moment you saw that wind-up you sat up a little more in your seat.

Grant Fuhr- The best reflex-goalie of the modern era made saves that should not have been possible. Fastest glove I've ever seen bar none.

On tape:

Guy Lafleur- I've seen Guy live, but he was on the downslope of his career then. Watching the old tapes he looks sooooooo dangerous every second he's on the ice.

Bobby Orr- Like Coffey a decade later and had just as many highlight reel stops as scores.

Larry Robinson- Like Guy I've seen him many times live, but in the mid-70s he was absolutely devastating to watch. Hits like Stevens, skates like Leetch, shoots like MacInnis and passes like Bourque. The single most intimidating defenseman I can think of.

I love your list.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Gretzky - Just the cheer talent was so far above anything else.
Orr - The guy did it all.
Lemieux - Even today still does things no one else can.
Bure - Could anyone stop him on a break away?
Coffey - He could really fly.

Honourable Mention for the future?:
Kovalchuk - Probably the most exciting player right now.

KOVALEV10*

Is it just me or are like half the most exciting hockey players either born in montreal or played with the habs? Also its funny how both Lafleur and Bure who are considered the most exciting players of all time both wore the number 10.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
The players I've seen:

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Joe Sakic
4. Pavel Bure
5. Jaromir Jagr
6. Paul Kariya
7. Paul Coffey
8. Peter Forsberg
9. Mats Sundin
10. Alexander Moginly

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Players I have seen.

Bure
Lemieux

In todays NHL,

St. Louis
Kovalchuk
Zherdev
Lecavalier
Naslund
others....

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
The most exciting forwards I have seen:

1) Yzerman - (I'm biased and he's my favorite!) But he did have some beautys that i have seen from back in his prime when he was more of a pure offensive player.

2) Bure - THe russian rocket in full stride was something to behold. He could not be stopped when he wanted to take over.

3) Federov - When he wants to he can make anything happen out there, end to end rushes, amazing snipes, feathered passes. And nobody is a better skater than Federov.

4) Sakic - Probably the most agile player I have ever watched. I always tried to play like Sakic because I felt my game was strongest when I had possesion of the puck in the corners. Sakic is amazing when he has time and space down low. His quickness of foot and shot are incredible.

5) Naslund - Had the pleasure of seeing him live last year in Edmonton and must say that next to Federov he is the smoothest forward I have ever seen (Lidstrom is also smoother but he's obviously a defenceman). I love watching a player with a good head for the game and Naslund never seems to make the wrong play. Always a pleasure to watch.

Top Defenceman

1) Scott Neidermyer - So smooth and so fast. Always makes great decisions with puck and leads the rush better from the back end than any other defencman in todays NHL.

2) Nick Lidstrom - Have seen so much of him as a Wings fan and he has never ceased to amaze. Always makes the smart play and is always well positioned. The smoothest defenceman i have ever seen.

3) Paul Coffey - Just like Neidermyer but probably a little faster and less responsible which led to many more exciting plays. However, I never saw enough of him in his prime to place him ahead of Neidermyer. Plus from what I have seen of the 80's on classic tv it is sloppy. Exciting but very sloppy.

4) Rob Blake - Fast and tough. Has a great shot from the point and can skate the puck up extremely well. Plus he is always good for a deadly hip check from time to time that nobody ever sees coming.

5) Tie b/w Scott Stevens and Vladimir Konstantinov - Both players were two of the meanest hitters of their time. As an opposing player you had to know where they were at all times. Everyone know how badly they could make you pay and yet you still never saw the hits coming.

silver_made*

1. Pavel Bure: the most gifted goal scorer of my era. epitomized the hockey i love: speed, speed, speed, goals, goals, goals.

2. Teemu Selanne: I will NEVER forget the '92-'93 season. Teemu is why.

3. Paul Kariya: when with Teemu, only Mario and Jags rivaled them. Watching Paul's fast little choppy strides come down the left wing, only to tear a slapper over your goalie's shoulder...WOW.

4. Peter Forsberg: Players ride him like a horse...and he still dominates the league offensively. The best 'run through you' hockey player of my generation.

5. Peter Bondra: If you're a Lightning, Panthers, or Hurricanes fan, you feel me on this one. Most underrated sniper of my generation. '94-'95: 47 gms 34 g 9 a 43 pts. gotta love those #'s.

6. Luc Robitaille: Can't skate worth a damn. Always ignored. Always found a way to slip through and punch in goals. No business posting 51 pts. in 80 gms in today's nhl at age 38. No forward has played better positional hockey during my era, nor has any player during that time got more out of their talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->