Pre-Game Talk: 5 in a row? Hurricanes up next

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
my mood of the day-no idea why--having a flash back to a xmas party many, many years ago?-more fun being an oiler in the 80's then the last few years

I actually have a rare weekday off. I think my energy will be best spent trying to learn the guitar riff "money for nothing" -Dire Straights.

I heard it's a hard one to learn.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Wearing one of my Bear jerseys for the game. Will cheer when he scores (former Oiler guaranteed goal) and cheer louder when the Oilers win. And my son is the DD for the game so look out Carolina. Gonna be a good time and a good game.
Enjoy the game, you have a good son!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I actually have a rare weekday off. I think my energy will be best spent trying to learn the guitar riff "money for nothing" -Dire Straights.

I heard it's a hard one to learn.

One of the biggest misconceptions about that song is that it is about WORKING for the weekend and not working FOR the weekend. The song is about spending Wednesday and Thursday plotting what you are doing for the weekend. It was originally called Working forward to the Weekend but in the studio, Bruce Fairburn changed the title

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
One of the biggest misconceptions about that song is that it is about WORKING for the weekend and not working FOR the weekend. The song is about spending Wednesday and Thursday plotting what you are doing for the weekend. It was originally called Working forward to the Weekend but in the studio, Bruce Fairburn changed the title
That's awesome, man. It was also one of the first songs banned from radio because he says Homophobic Slur 3 times.

Edit: it starts with a 'F' and rhymes with maggot, the slur. I was censored.

Edit X2: I guess they were talking about Motley Crue when they laid down that slur. Jealous

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It’s a great song. Thanks for the all day ear worm!

That little fmaggot got his own jet airplane, that little fmaggot he’s a millionaire…

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think they will play better, they have done some to good things the last couple of games. I think the game day thread will be untenable to be a part of though.

Reactions: TB12

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
This article was heartbreaking, specifically the part where he said that he felt was left on an island last season and never got any support when he struggled. For his sake, I'm glad he got traded to a team that values him as a person and a player.
Where is this article? Always felt like the org was against him and would love to read it. If we don't win the cup I hope he does with Carolina, I always loved him and thought he would be a long term piece to the Oilers success.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This article was heartbreaking, specifically the part where he said that he felt was left on an island last season and never got any support when he struggled. For his sake, I'm glad he got traded to a team that values him as a person and a player.

When you play that bad in the playoffs for two seasons in a row in any Canadian market you are going to the hear about it.

The racial aspect of the taunting was unacceptable, Canada is so quick to point fingers at the US for their problems, but we have more than our share in that regard up here especially towards Aboriginal people. Both McDavid and Draisaitl stepped up to denounce that, but what these are much deeper rooted problems in Canadian society, asking McDavid to some how solve that problem is some what ridiculous.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
When you play that bad in the playoffs for two seasons in a row in any Canadian market you are going to the hear about it.

The racial aspect of the taunting was unacceptable, Canada is so quick to point fingers at the US for their problems, but we have more than our share in that regard up here especially towards Aboriginal people. Both McDavid and Draisaitl stepped up to denounce that, but what these are much deeper rooted problems in Canadian society, asking McDavid to some how solve that problem is some what ridiculous.
Or you know management can support him better and not trade an asset for pennies on the dollar, just a thought.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He sucked for a small period time and sure enough he flourishes elsewhere. He's not the first, and he won't be the last.

It's unfortunate but he really was a tire fire in both Hawks and Jets series, like -8 in 8 games is awful, people shit on Tyson Barrie for defensive play but he was +1 in the Jets series by comparison.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's unfortunate but he really was a tire fire in both Hawks and Jets series, like -8 in 8 games is awful, people shit on Tyson Barrie for defensive play but he was +1 in the Jets series by comparison.
We jettisoned Eberle after one tough playoffs and sure enough he's been pretty good with the Isles ever since. 13G, 21A, 34 points in 49 games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We jettisoned Eberle after one tough playoffs and sure enough he's been pretty good with the Isles ever since. 13G, 21A, 34 points in 49 games.

I don't think they could afford Eberle's contract and stay under the cap though that played a factor too. Strome at 3 mill fit in the cap, Eberle at 6 mill would've put the Oilers over the cap.

But Canadian markets are tough. One bad playoffs you can usually get a pass for, but when it's two in a row, you're gonna start to get heat.

I'd take Eberle on the current team at 2 million too, but it's kinda hard at 5.5 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad