Pre-Game Talk: 5 in a row? Hurricanes up next

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I'll tell you what tho. The wife bought a huge amount of chicken breast for Saturday. She asked if I can do homemade (deep-fried) chicken nuggies for the kids and chicken/bacon/ranch wraps for the adults.

Hell yes. A little bit of Franks on those... Delish.

Jesus, I need another stent just reading that let alone eating it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I’m probably a bigger Eberle fan than a lot of people and he’s not what the team needs. Would he help? Probably a bit. Adding a top 9 RW is a luxury right now.

Order of importance:

1A goalie (especially if Smith isn’t coming back)
Coach
3C
Top 4D (again, especially if no Keith)

Everything else is a luxury and likely have internal options

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I liked Bear and thought he did OK here aside from some very costly mistakes in the playoffs...

However I don't get why so many posters on here are blubbering about him like a bunch of toddlers despite the fact he was literally traded only 5 months ago. The overall outcome of the Bear / Foegele trade is far from being determined. Like jeez people! :facepalm:Relax.
I didn’t particularly like nor dislike Bear in his time here. But he’s the enemy now and frankly I hope Foegele crushes him tomorrow.

Reactions: harpoon

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Oil are gonna get a ringside seat for a team that doesn't shortchange work rate, play hard and with high effort at both ends of the ice. A team that's fully connected in its play for one another. Start on time and close it out. Good benchmark game. Let's see what the Oil have in the midst of a cratering homestead. Gutcheck time.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It doesn't change the fact that Eberle isn't a clutch player. He punches the clock 9-5. No ambition. Hate me if you want. Eberle sucks.
You didn’t watch the Islanders in the playoffs. Eberle scored a bunch of clutch goals for them in the past two seasons. Pretty much single handedly carried them past the Penguins pre-covid season.

I do know what you mean about the 9-5 thing. Even as a big fan of the player, I totally expected Eberle to quietly fold up and cash his paychecks in Seattle. Have you watched their games though? He’s playing hard and on pace for a damn fine season. Make no mistake, Eberle would be a godsend on this Oilers club right now, except for the cap hit of course.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
You didn’t watch the Islanders in the playoffs. Eberle scored a bunch of clutch goals for them in the past two seasons. Pretty much single handedly carried them past the Penguins pre-covid season.

I do know what you mean about the 9-5 thing. Even as a big fan of the player, I totally expected Eberle to quietly fold up and cash his paychecks in Seattle. Have you watched their games though? He’s playing hard and on pace for a damn fine season. Make no mistake, Eberle would be a godsend on this Oilers club right now, except for the cap hit of course.
Sounds like something a fanboy would say.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Eberle is twice as good as Yamamoto, still better than Puljujarvi and him and Nuge are slightly interchangeable but Eberle gets the nod cause he can score.
I still have hope that JP will turn out to be better, but I agree with your thoughts here.

On this board it was always RNH over Eberle because he’s a center and therefore more valuable. I never bought that. Now that RNH has proven he’s no center, the balance tips even further in favor of Eberle because he can actually carry the puck up the ice and do something useful with it. RNH is a good passer and a decent shooter but he has never been able to carry the puck and make good decisions with it.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

Never asked for a trade, and he made some good points. He had a rough game 4 but cost them the series is a bit much. The oilers had chances to win, but they couldn't get that one extra goal in those 4 games and Hellebuyck was on fire. They played tremendous but the lack of experience in the playoffs was difference for both coach and players.

This reminds me of the Smiths own goal against Calgary in the playoffs. There are still people butthurt about that even still.

The next time they won the Stanley Cup. Gretzky handed the Cup to Smith first to parade around the rink. I think that is a class act from the Captain.

That shows that the team had his back even after that blunder. That's why I believe they won the Stanley Cup. They had a team that had each other's back, every single one, good days and bad days. Even on the most disappointing days. That's where real team building begins.

I really liked Bear, didn't want to see him go, there was a player there for sure, and we got a heck of player in Foegele in return. But I am a little disappointed that he felt that way after the playoffs. Young team still learning to be contenders.

Definitely disappointed at the fans who posted some vile things his way on social media. Very low character act. They shouldn't even call themselves fans.

Bear is a good character, and I for one don't blame him for those playoffs. Just wasn't our year, otherwise the goals would go in.

This team can win with what they have, they need to focus on what there teammates CAN do, instead of what they can't.

A team is good because they utilize each other strengths right?

I'm not sure what Tippett should do, but, I do think he needs to trust his team even more. Players are going to have bad games, and he wants 4 lines to compete in the play offs. All 4 lines need to be trusted in important moments. And the only way for the players to get better at that, is through experience.

It may be ugly, and may lose more games, but if the rest of the year, they play each game putting players in situations you wouldn't normally put them in, because of injuries, or players need rest etc etc...and ask them to succeed.

They will be ready for the playoffs. Just my opinion though.

Ethan Bear on Edmonton after the 2021 playoffs: “It just felt like I was alone”

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I bet Koskinen was feeling the same as Bear after the sweep. These are pro athletes and sucking it up and coming back stronger is the only option after you lay an egg.

Getting Bear out was the right move especially when Barrie agreed to return. Bear was a punching bag here ala Russell last season. Barrie is it right now but his points are keeping the wrath at bay.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
This team can win with what they have, they need to focus on what there teammates CAN do, instead of what they can't.

A team is good because they utilize each other strengths right?
I enjoyed your entire post. THis part (and bringing back Smith) was what really resonated.

We have no balance in the lineup and when I look at our bottom players... I don't really know what Tipp expects from them? I posted our minutes for the season in a seperate article and I have no idea how any one can be good playing less than 9 minutes a night.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad