Post-Game Talk: #5: FLYERS at Oilers, Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2019, 9:30 pm ET

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
What if it could be more productive, instead of theoretically productive?
giphy.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Actually we don't know that - for one thing I doubt Hagg just decides to do that on his own.
If we had competent reporters, they might ask if that is how AV wants his D-men to play.

It is. They're all doing it. But because Hagg is incapable of breaking out he ends up with the rush while Ghost does the work.

The problem is that Hagg shouldn't be on the roster. It's bad enough trying to play like that with Braun.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It is. They're all doing it. But because Hagg is incapable of breaking out he ends up with the rush while Ghost does the work.

The problem is that Hagg shouldn't be on the roster. It's bad enough trying to play like that with Braun.

They'd have the same issue with Morin in the lineup.
Too bad Myers screwed the pooch in TC.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What if it could be more productive, instead of theoretically productive?

The PP is a nuanced discussion I’m trying not to step into, but I love that we collectively have discussions about optimality rather than whether X or Y is good enough.

I’m sensitive to the idea that we sometimes go overboard, but maximizing every tiny advantage you can find is the only way you can win long term with margins of victory as hilariously tiny (see last night) as they are. This is now a requirement to compete, same as spending money.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The PP is a nuanced discussion I’m trying not to step into, but I love that we collectively have discussions about optimality rather than whether X or Y is good enough.

I’m sensitive to the idea that we sometimes go overboard, but maximizing every tiny advantage you can find is the only way you can win long term with margins of victory as hilariously tiny (see last night) as they are. This is now a requirement to compete, same as spending money.

The funny thing is they are arguing they want to optimize a power play by making it the same power play that has been 11-15th in the league for the last how many seasons. Is that really optimized? Because if it is optimized then we are doomed to be a bubble team forever in today's special teams driven NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Top 6 gets changed.... immediately dominates
Jake stops getting buried with scrubs.... 3 points
5v3 PP with Jake and G on the correct sides.... one timer goal

WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED :laugh:

The star players played great, but had no luck. If they play at EXACTLY the same level every game we should all be thrilled. Anyone complaining about them should feel shame.

Makes it clear that the coaching sabotage is a real problem right now. Shoutout to Fletcher too for the mistake assists.

Also, the typical bad players were really bad and Hart had a rough night, but it happens.

I wouldn't call lack of execution bad luck. They played well enough to get high-danger scoring chances, but they didn't execute. Missing the net is lack of execution, not bad luck.

The bigger issue is that we have no 3rd line. We have a 4th getting 3rd line minutes and a 5th line getting 4th line minutes.

They need Patrick back and Farabee up. If they are not going to get Patrick back, they need a back-up plan..whether that is Frost or the trade market.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The funny thing is they are arguing they want to optimize a power play by making it the same power play that has been 11-15th in the league for the last how many seasons. Is that really optimized? Because if it is optimized then we are doomed to be a bubble team forever in today's special teams driven NHL.

Maybe! This is why I personally find it fun to investigate. There’s very little black and white in this weird-ass sport.

Even when you think you find something cut and dry, Goaltending is still looming on the other side.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Well, the Flyers are decidedly mediocre thru 5 games.

23rd overall in points (16th in p%)
20th in GF/GP
21st in GA/GP
6th on the PP
20th on the PK

2-2-1.

Could have been better, could have been worse.

But mediocre's where the Flyers live. :)

Here's hoping some home cookin' will make things right.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I dont think anyone thinks fixing the PP is going to make the team unbeatable. Just as I dont think removing Hagg and replacing him with a competent NHLer will do so. But the idea here is to put yourself in the best position to succeed. Now obviously what's 'best' is very subjective, but if the PP1 setup isnt currently working - in the sense that they used to score a lot of goals and now they seemingly cant score any, as well as the eye testing making it look very clumsy - shouldnt we at least investigate changing it?

Again, the PP alone isnt going to make us a contender. But if you make that better, you give yourself a better chance, and that's what your goal should be. There's always going to be a measure of luck to this sport, as we saw last night. But your aim should be to minimize the luck, and maximize your chances on the things you can control.

Interesting to note - the blues were 10th in PP last year, with the canes at 20th, and nashville in last.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Are you remembering to account for the fact that the second unit dragged numbers of a great first unit down? That those two have flipped should be a red flag.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

And with that I will expouse a little....

I love that we have a staff that believes they can improve on a 11-15th power play. Even if it means that what was PP1 becomes PP2 and vice versa. It's not about my personal favorites getting their cookies. It's about a team getting the whole damn giant cookie from the place that used to make the large ones in a local mall. You know what that cookie is, it's being a top 5 pp in the league. It's a power play that is dominant enough we win rounds in the playoffs when things tighten up. It's a pp that brings a cup. It's a parade down Broad Street. None of which happened with the current usage.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Are you remembering to account for the fact that the second unit dragged numbers of a great first unit down? That those two have flipped should be a red flag.
If the second unit hit the ice didn't the great first unit fail probably 90% of the time they hit the ice? Don't approximately 90% of power plays start with unit one?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If the second unit hit the ice didn't the great first unit fail probably 90% of the time they hit the ice? Don't approximately 90% of power plays start with unit one?

The first unit tended to be ranked near the top of the league in production with the second unit at the bottom. Basically if the first unit didn't score then the second unit was just holding the fort down until even strength.

The first unit has produced at a lower level since they killed off the one timer option.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Well, the Flyers are decidedly mediocre thru 5 games.

23rd overall in points (16th in p%)
20th in GF/GP
21st in GA/GP
6th on the PP
20th on the PK

2-2-1.

Could have been better, could have been worse.

But mediocre's where the Flyers live. :)

Here's hoping some home cookin' will make things right.

The one positive stat of the bunch is the one complained about the most :)

Reactions: flyersnorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad