GDT: #5 Devils @ Rangers 1pm 18/10: Depression Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Was on the train with a random Devs fan the other day...

And we agreed that if we won today's game, it wouldn't matter if we lost the next four games. Beating the Rags was enough, since we don't expect to be in the postseason anyway.

Good on the Devs for pulling it off.

3 on 3 overtime is great. Even if it wasn't any more effective than 4 on 4 with the Sharks game. Then again, if it was 3 on 4 for more than 15 seconds or whatever, we coulda won that game too.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Tootoo had more PP time than Zajac. So much for Zajac's bounceback year. :laugh: He doesn't even have a point yet, right? Hope Hynes continues to rotate the lines around a bit.

I think Hynes will continue to rotate until he finds something he is happy with.
We have a lot of players trying to find their way

Josefson - Not saying he is playing bad that warrants him getting scratched but he hasn't clicked offensively with any linemates thus far. I do like his puck handling and passing on the PP (He doesn't rush plays which I like). And his PK work is strong. Unlucky not to score against San Jose.

Kalinin - Might be on the outer if Henrique stays at center. Little Gio is favored for the 4th line center role ahead of him.

Matteau - In a battle with the veteran Ruutu for a bottom 6 wing role. Ruutu has the runs on the board, so he will probably be favored.

Boucher - Another one that is probably in a battle with O'Neill for the final forward spot on the team. Both could be just placeholders until Elias is ready to return.

O'Neill - Ditto. He hasn't done much thus far. But Patty doesn't seem close to be ready to return so he will be given more time.

Gelinas - Still to gain Hynes trust for him to be a regular player. At the moment Hynes is favoring Schlemko who plays a safer game and is keeping Gelly out of the lineup. And the 4 forward experiment on the PP have meant that Gelinas is perhaps not needed. I hope Hynes changes his point of view about Gelinas. His shot is a weapon, we should be putting him in on power play. Manage his minutes at even strength if need be.

Schlemko - I pray Hynes will eventually realize that he is only a 7th dman at best. His breakout passes are terrible, consistently missing the target.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Boucher will be fine when he gets a skating coach. He's got good instincts. He's got an active stick in the D zone, finds the soft spots in the D, and goes to the net.

You think going into his third season as a pro, a skating coach is going to make a difference? Boucher had untraceable expectations due to the huge junior year. Had he not had that nobody would really think much of him but he because he did, people expect more. If he does somehow figure out how to get going a bit, maybe he sticks but it's hard seeing him stay as he's got no defined role. His game isn't suited for a bottom 6 role, but he clearly cannot keep up in a top 6 role.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
I made the decision that fall apple picking would be a much more exciting afternoon than watching a Devils game, so I only saw the OT.

How did they look today?

Besides the fact they still apparently cant score > 1 goal in 60 minutes.

As bad as the offense is the defense is actually better. I am starting to have a tingling feeling in my heart about this team, the hope is there that the defense and goaltending will keep them competitive.

I don't even think the defense is playing to its full potential yet.

Sadly not scoring any goals will likely result in a poor final standing but there is hope!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You think going into his third season as a pro, a skating coach is going to make a difference? Boucher had untraceable expectations due to the huge junior year. Had he not had that nobody would really think much of him but he because he did, people expect more. If he does somehow figure out how to get going a bit, maybe he sticks but it's hard seeing him stay as he's got no defined role. His game isn't suited for a bottom 6 role, but he clearly cannot keep up in a top 6 role.

Larsson credits a skating coach for improving his speed the last couple years.

DevRickus

Damon Severson Fan Club President
Apr 10, 2007
Boonton, NJ
Kind of related but was at Miami Mikes in East Hanover to watch football yesterday and I gotta say, its pretty disheartening as a Devils fan, in NJ, to have a place that has hosted Devils viewing parties in the past, be so blatantly pro Rangers. When the Rangers scored he had the horn and the goal song. Devils scored in OT, he turned the game off so fast I didnt even get to see the replay. I know the owner is a Ranger fan but come on man.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
As bad as the offense is the defense is actually better. I am starting to have a tingling feeling in my heart about this team, the hope is there that the defense and goaltending will keep them competitive.

I don't even think the defense is playing to its full potential yet. Sadly not scoring any goals will likely result in a poor final standing but there is hope!

They cant be competitive scoring < 2 goals per game, but I agree the defense is getting older/wiser/better.

Kind of related but was at Miami Mikes in East Hanover to watch football yesterday and I gotta say, its pretty disheartening as a Devils fan, in NJ, to have a place that has hosted Devils viewing parties in the past, be so blatantly pro Rangers. When the Rangers scored he had the horn and the goal song. Devils scored in OT, he turned the game off so fast I didnt even get to see the replay. I know the owner is a Ranger fan but come on man.

Sounds like a Dbag that hates the Devils, but will gladly take money from Devils fans.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I won't step foot in that low rent dump anymore.

Going back to the '94 series vs the Rags, Mike would not even put the Devils broadcast audio on when it was our feed.

I did attend a few Devils viewing parties in the past and saw how dumpy & overpriced the place got.

I'd rather give just about any other bar in New Jersey my business than Miami Mike's.

Last edited:

DevRickus

Damon Severson Fan Club President
Apr 10, 2007
Boonton, NJ

Going back to the '94 series vs the Rags, Mike would not even put the Devils broadcast audio on when it was our feed.

I did attend a few Devils viewing parties in the past and saw how dumpy & overpriced the place got.

I'd rather give just about any other bar in New Jersey my business than Miami Mike's.

Agree 1000%. It was ridiculous. SOOOOO many better places to go.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

While I'm not the biggest fan of the bar itself. Texas Arizona to me has been a good experience when it came to watching big Devils games. Always had the game audio blasting and lots of fans.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I wasn't really impressed with the win quite honestly. Transition is still disjointed and the Rangers were carrying the play. A few inches and the Rangers could have won that game 3-1 or 4-1.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wasn't really impressed with the win quite honestly. Transition is still disjointed and the Rangers were carrying the play. A few inches and the Rangers could have won that game 3-1 or 4-1.

That's true of a lot of hockey games, really. I don't think anyone really thinks the Devils are a better team than the Rangers right now. There's a LOT of work to do, as evidenced by a lot of the things that went wrong yesterday.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's true of a lot of hockey games, really. I don't think anyone really thinks the Devils are a better team than the Rangers right now. There's a LOT of work to do, as evidenced by a lot of the things that went wrong yesterday.

Agreed but I think there has been progress. It's baby steps but they are starting to do things better at greater intervals between f*** ups.

Having Greene, Cory, and the current Lars helps a lot. Cleans up certain mistakes.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The Devils as they are currently constructed really aren't capable of "pretty" wins. There's nowhere near enough skill (particularly at forward position) for that. Any wins we get will probably be of the "ugly", eked out by the skin of the teeth variety.

The Devils got the only type of win they are really going to be capable of against a hated rival. That makes me happy, and I'm not going to poke holes in the win, because I don't realistically expect this roster to be capable of pretty wins. I understand that this team is a battered pick-up truck, not a Ferrari.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

could say that for any game, with us on the reverse side. if the puck went in on play ____, then we could've easily won. anyway, it's a growing process

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
could say that for any game, with us on the reverse side. if the puck went in on play ____, then we could've easily won. anyway, it's a growing process

Yeah, we were on the other side of it vs the Sharks, a bounce or two and we win in OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad