5 Days Between Games, Good or Bad?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What say you? Good or bad? Clearly Pacioretty isn't 100% so hopefully the time off will be good for him. Beaulieu will get some time to heal although with the way Pateryn is playing I don't know what the coaching staff will do if he's good to go by Friday or later in the series which would then likely depend on how it's going.

Price gets some rest as well which likely can't hurt, plus hopefully they spend a lot of time working on their terrible PP. But on the other hand does all that time off hurt as whoever we face will have just had a game 7 which could mean they are a little more banged up depending on how the game goes or they will be ready as soon as the puck drops on Friday night. We know that slow starts or failing to score the first goal has been a serious problem all year so hopefully it's something they are working on.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It's good. I'll take a little rust for the chance to improve the PP and get some guys some rest.

End of the day, Price, Markov, etc... can use some rest.

We've been relatively healthy this year and I'd imagine guys like Gallagher were fighting through bruises that can use a few days of healing. Not to mention Pacioretty wasn't in game shape and can likely use more time to adjust.

The other team may come out with a great start but we have home ice and that should pump them up. Besides, our 1st period futility is well documented and rest of consecutive games, it didn't really change. How much worse can it get?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
rest is always good in the long run.

short term it could hurt us, depending on how banged up TB/DET are coming into game 1 & how effectively the coach/leadership of their team are able to carry the momentum from their game 7 win.

given the personalities of the guys we rely on in the playoffs (Price, PK, Eller, Gally especially), and how good they are at being prepared, i don't think it will affect us

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
What say you? Good or bad? Clearly Pacioretty isn't 100% so hopefully the time off will be good for him. Beaulieu will get some time to heal although with the way Pateryn is playing I don't know what the coaching staff will do if he's good to go by Friday or later in the series which would then likely depend on how it's going.

Price gets some rest as well which likely can't hurt, plus hopefully they spend a lot of time working on their terrible PP. But on the other hand does all that time off hurt as whoever we face will have just had a game 7 which could mean they are a little more banged up depending on how the game goes or they will be ready as soon as the puck drops on Friday night. We know that slow starts or failing to score the first goal has been a serious problem all year so hopefully it's something they are working on.

Good : More rest for two important elements of the D. Old warrior: Markov. Young gun: Beaulieu. More time to study opponents, video, strategy.
Bad: Lost the drive, intensity, rusty. Come out flat the first period Friday night.

Hmm...thinking about it, there's only good. They never came out for the first period anyways so the bad thing is nullified.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's good. I'll take a little rust for the chance to improve the PP and get some guys some rest.

End of the day, Price, Markov, etc... can use some rest.

We've been relatively healthy this year and I'd imagine guys like Gallagher were fighting through bruises that can use a few days of healing. Not to mention Pacioretty wasn't in game shape and can likely use more time to adjust.

The other team may come out with a great start but we have home ice and that should pump them up. Besides, our 1st period futility is well documented and rest of consecutive games, it didn't really change. How much worse can it get?

forgot about Markov who must have some kind of injury as it looked like he was downing some pills on the bench during Sunday's game. You don't often see him play that poorly. As for how much worse can it, if we face the high scoring lighting team that smoked us all season long, I fear it could get much worse.

Trying to think of anyone who'd see this as a bad thing.

people that look at past playoffs, I don't know the stats though but I know I've seen teams that had longer layoffs come out flat against teams that come in off a 7 game series.

And the habs did not take any plane since the season is over.

It helps a lot

good point, didn't think of that. :handclap:

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I don't think we can know. But my guess is that it will do some good. If we swept Ottawa, going into a series facing a better team, you might get an inflated sense of accomplishment and feel like you can mow past the second round. At least we got a bloody nose so you got 5 days to regroup and tweak your game.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
And the habs did not take any plane since the season is over.

It helps a lot

that's a great point...

meanwhile Detroit and Tampa have both gone Det-TB-Det-TB in the last week.

small advantage, but this time of year every little bit helps!

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Yeah, hard to say for sure, but the default expectation is that it's good. The playoffs are so intense and such a war of attrition out there these days, a rest seems at face value to be the preferred option.

I guess we'll see if a Tampa or Detroit team just keeps rolling from their 7-gamer and beats our rusty team in Game 1, though.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
If the team were on some incredible run with all the momentum flowing and chemistry building, a break like this would be bad.

In this case, where Pacioretty is obviously playing hurt, Price might be fatigued, and there is no chemistry to speak of, it's good.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
forgot about Markov who must have some kind of injury as it looked like he was downing some pills on the bench during Sunday's game. You don't often see him play that poorly. As for how much worse can it, if we face the high scoring lighting team that smoked us all season long, I fear it could get much worse.

Thing is, I'm also weary of the whole emotional high from beating Ottawa. A break can allow the high and low to fade and return to focused hockey.

I see TB's strong 1sts(7th league wide in GF 1st period) as a positive thing. The habs will know that a strong first is critical. It should keep them on their toes early.

TB has our number obviously and should they win we're in for a tough series regardless of rest.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
What harm does a 2hr flight that stays in the same time zone do that a 1.5hr bus ride doesn't?

The recycled air in the plane or something?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
It helps, I'm sure there are several guys on the team with minor injuries by this point in the season and even rest to help with fatigue is huge at this point.

Especially with TB/DET playing another game tomorrow.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Given the inability of the Habs to score goals, I'd say they need a few new wrinkles both on the PP and on ES.They eventually caught on to the Hamburglar and processed him into the Hambungler but they did almost nothing against Anderson. Let's hope the coaches are able to create some new offensive patters. On the other hand, maybe they can't and shouldn't hold on to their jobs.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ya, the rest is good. Considering Price is pretty much the only guy that finished the series on the top of his game. Momentum loss isn't really much of a concern. Rest is only really a good thing in this situation.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
More time to work on the PP can't be a bad thing.

With that being said, they have had all year to work on it, without much in the way of results, so......

They've had 2 years to work on it and nothing has changed. The Habs PP looks beyond repair at this point.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
More than a week, I'd say bad. But in the context, this is great because it let's our guys recover from any bumps or bruises they may be nursing (and there's definitely a couple). This might affect us for maybe half a period getting going, but other than that I don't see a negative here.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
It's not like we're having some kind of momentum so I don't see how it's bad. We have guys like Pacioretty, Markov, Plekanec maybe even Price that could use some rest.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Good, very good.

As others have said, it will give everyone time to rest and recover and we can sort out line problems/ PP problems.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Trying to think of anyone who'd see this as a bad thing.
Good thing for us, but also good thing for our opponent too.
I'd say the earlier we start the series the better because the opponents have no time to rest and to prepare. For instance, it's better to start the series on Thursday (just after Bolts and Wings finish their game) than on Sunday where they have more time to rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad