OT: 5 AJHL Teams Leave for BCHL

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
HC refused to change. They should have chosen to work with the school leagues rather than suppress them.
Maybe so, but the pay to play nature of these school and other leagues should be an affront to everyone.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Grassroots in the sense that it’s the first big league to get away from HC’s clutches, so a pioneer in that way. We will disagree about the HC reasoning. But a lot of younger age groups are breaking away from the old HC model and doing a really good job.
Although many will view this move with some disdain, many industries and businesses benefit from a disrupter that comes in and turns the existing model upside down, finding new and exciting opportunities for improvement. I see BCHL as doing the same. HC’s complacency of running out the same, tired approach to things is why they ended up with the (unrelated) scandals under their leadership and now teams leaving their oversight. I think this is change for the better.

As you state, other teams and leagues have gone independent with much success. My daughter’s boyfriend has coached with one of the Edmonton area independents the last couple of winters. I’ve watched some of the hockey and was impressed with the caliber. It’s going somewhere.

AJHL leadership is being super petty in cancelling games regardless of what communication did or didn’t occur before yesterdays release. If that’s how they deal with things, then you can understand why some teams elected to leave.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I live in one of the five cities and have connections with a couple of AJH: teams and I can’t explain it.
The way it was explained to me is that BC is creating a super league like the USHL. No boundaries. They will get the best junior aged players from all over the world and they will be able to maintain their NCAA scholarship opportunities.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The way it was explained to me is that BC is creating a super league like the USHL. No boundaries. They will get the best junior aged players from all over the world and they will be able to maintain their NCAA scholarship opportunities.
I'm not in the know with this sort of thing but someone explain to me how BC would be less in the purview of Hockey Canada and following their directions. BC is more atuned to the HC politically correct nonsense than Alberta is. Public pressure and other will mount, in BC as well to follow HC scripture.

My understanding fo this being that the AJHL teams broke to get away from HC rules.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I'm not in the know with this sort of thing but someone explain to me how BC would be less in the purview of Hockey Canada and following their directions. BC is more atuned to the HC politically correct nonsense than Alberta is. Public pressure and other will mount, in BC as well to follow HC scripture.

My understanding fo this being that the AJHL teams broke to get away from HC rules.
The BCHL broke away last year already so adding the 5 AJHL Teams simply grows their league.

HC has a new board and they won't have a clue how to deal with this. The momentum is there and this could really collapse HC unless they find a way to work with these unsanctioned leagues.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The BCHL broke away last year already so adding the 5 AJHL Teams simply grows their league.

HC has a new board and they won't have a clue how to deal with this. The momentum is there and this could really collapse HC unless they find a way to work with these unsanctioned leagues.
Unfortunately it could collapse more than that. Junior Team Canada prospects, University hockey here. aren't BCHL players disqualified from playing in any HC sanctioned event.? I despise Hockey Canada but theres a lot of unknown right now with how this all unfolds. Plus as I said I can't see BCHL not getting pressured as well. A lot of the Wet coast types support all of HC initiatives.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Unfortunately it could collapse more than that. Junior Team Canada prospects, University hockey here. aren't BCHL players disqualified from playing in any HC sanctioned event.? I despise Hockey Canada but theres a lot of unknown right now with how this all unfolds. Plus as I said I can't see BCHL not getting pressured as well. A lot of the Wet coast types support all of HC initiatives.
Yep you're right. But I don't think HC has oversight at usports.

For families it's really about development and education opportunities. If HC continues to ban BCHL players from National teams, then piss off to HC. They are more worried about control and transfer payments.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
BCHL also seems to want to keep pace with the USHL who is taking Canadian players out of Canadian for their junior years, as well as recruiting Euro players away from the Canadian ranks.

PinkSlip

Nov 24, 2015
Cross posting from another thread discussing this topic:

My apologies to those participating in both threads but I wanted to share some possible reasons with those here to speculate why the AJHL is only cancelling games between the departing five and the remaining eleven but not games solely among the departing five or solely among the remaining eleven.

An AJHL statement from yesterday indicated that the league has not suspended any of their 16 teams:: AJHL STATEMENT – JANUARY 22, 2024 . This suggests the AJHL is still consulting with Hockey Canada and is trying to buy time.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

My apologies to those participating in both threads but I wanted to share some possible reasons with those here to speculate why the AJHL is only cancelling games between the departing five and the remaining eleven but not games solely among the departing five or solely among the remaining eleven.

An AJHL statement from yesterday indicated that the league has not suspended any of their 16 teams:: AJHL STATEMENT – JANUARY 22, 2024 . This suggests the AJHL is still consulting with Hockey Canada and is trying to buy time.
Could be three years the way Hockey Canada operates

Honestly, don't know what there is to consult at this point. Should just go on business as usual. Just punishing kids and fans that really had no say in the matter.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

That's fair, but the AJ has known about this issue for three years now, this isn't a surprise to anyone. Would have to think they would have had opportunity to discuss the possible scenarios with HC over that timeframe, and would have already come up with what the process will be going forward. As Joe mentioned, HC moves at a glacial pace, so not sure how soon this will get resolved.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Kinda figured this is what was going to happen given what the AJHL has been doing.

Don't think those AJHL teams could've played right now due to insurance issues, but I see BCHL must've got that paperwork through now.

Curious to see how things look in the near future with potential NCAA-CHL agreement too. Could have massive changes to the hockey landscape depending on what the agreement says.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
HC refused to change. They should have chosen to work with the school leagues rather than suppress them.
HC took a hardline approach to alternative leagues, with the thought they could force kids back into their system. it backfired and they doubled down and said anyone playing HSL/JPHL in alberta is blacklisted form competing or trying out for hockey alberta teams. more and more players are going CSSHL or HSL/JPHL instead of dealing with them

the AJHL is going to die imo, the 5 best most profitable/competitive teams dipped. any other AJ owner who wants to disassociate with HC will also dip and the BC league will turn into a western canada league

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
HC took a hardline approach to alternative leagues, with the thought they could force kids back into their system. it backfired and they doubled down and said anyone playing HSL/JPHL in alberta is blacklisted form competing or trying out for hockey alberta teams. more and more players are going CSSHL or HSL/JPHL instead of dealing with them

the AJHL is going to die imo, the 5 best most profitable/competitive teams dipped. any other AJ owner who wants to disassociate with HC will also dip and the BC league will turn into a western canada league
Interesting development today too. The 5 clubs are part of the BCHL as of today. Will play in a year end championship Alberta winner vs BC winner. Good save to keep the kids playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00