OT: 5 AJHL Teams Leave for BCHL

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Could somebody explain to me how this makes sense in any way?
BCHL isn’t under Hockey Canada’s umbrella anymore. Better for recruiting (more options, less restrictions) should be better competition, potential for increased revenue for teams. Happening a lot at younger levels, super leagues outside of HC control popping up. Can’t say I blame them.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
BCHL isn’t under Hockey Canada’s umbrella anymore. Better for recruiting (more options, less restrictions) should be better competition, potential for increased revenue for teams. Happening a lot at younger levels, super leagues outside of HC control popping up. Can’t say I blame them.
But the travel will be insane, no?
These are still mostly kids in school.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Generally the majority of the players are post high school age. Likely will be more travel, but don’t know yet how the divisional play will work, maybe not a full interlocking schedule. This is for serious kids who either want to go the college route or play pro. Other leagues are closely watching this, could be more teams going this route.

Reactions: CROTT and RegDunlop

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
No different than major junior age, and that travel is way worse. Assume they will run it so that the Alberta teams play each other a lot.

Pretty interesting stuff, waters down the Alberta league quite a bit. Wonder how long until the merger with the SJ

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Generally the majority of the players are post high school age. Likely will be more travel, but don’t know yet how the divisional play will work, maybe not a full interlocking schedule. This is for serious kids who either want to go the college route or play pro. Other leagues are closely watching this, could be more teams going this route.
True. However the main reason for the BCJHL breaking from HC (scandals aside) was to facilitate the recruiting of 16-17 year old players from areas outside the provincial boundaries, without strong tier 2 junior leagues. So the impact remains on school aged athletes.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

1705793699379.png

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
True. However the main reason for the BCJHL breaking from HC (scandals aside) was to facilitate the recruiting of 16-17 year old players from areas outside the provincial boundaries, without strong tier 2 junior leagues. So the impact remains on school aged athletes.
Ya, I had mentioned that in my first post, that recruitment was one of the key points in why the AJ teams are wanting to do this. Should be interesting how this ends up, this is just in its infancy.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

That will help with recruitment.

Right?

Children and childish actions. Sad that they all probably talk about growing the players to be stand up, young men. Can’t even be that themselves in a moment of difference and crisis.

Members clubs not advising the league if their intent before the other league issues a press release so then the AJHL matches that childish move by cancelling games. Lots of animosity here.

Reactions: Yeah15

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I think cancelling games is pretty petty, but so is not even informing the league before your new league issues a press release.

Children, the lot of them. I don't blame the AJHL for being absolutely livid.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Don't fault the AJHL on this, the way people are finding out about this change is very crass and unprofessional.

Odd that some see this as a benefit as, when one looks at a BCHL roster, it is the local players that are getting squeezed. Looking at the roster, it's not unusual to see the number of foreign players in the double digits, then you count the players that are from outside of BC.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Don't fault the AJHL on this, the way people are finding out about this change is very crass and unprofessional.

Odd that some see this as a benefit as, when one looks at a BCHL roster, it is the local players that are getting squeezed. Looking at the roster, it's not unusual to see the number of foreign players in the double digits, then you count the players that are from outside of BC.
The AJ has changed over the years, no longer just the local kids on the team. Our team (Cru) only has one local player on the roster, and 10 players from outside the province. The whole thing is just a mess right now.

This also isn’t anything new, there have been rumours for years about this. The league even addressed it back in 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

DoyleG

Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
The AJ has changed over the years, no longer just the local kids on the team. Our team (Cru) only has one local player on the roster, and 10 players from outside the province. The whole thing is just a mess right now.

This also isn’t anything new, there have been rumours for years about this. The league even addressed it back in 2021.

That's still better than a lot of BCHL teams that have the largest share of players on their rosters from OUTSIDE CANADA.

The problem is that the teams seemed to have decided to do this behind the backs of the AJHL. Okotoks was slated to host the Centennial Cup in '25 and still went ahead with it. The AJ has every right to react this way when teams have stated in public they weren't interested in the BCHL scheme.

Now, they've gotten themselves suspended, which is likely to void agreements with communities for arena use and with their sponsors. Even more so if they decide to put new franchises in other communities that have been looked at for a long time.

St Albert feels they have learned the lessons to have another shot. Fort Sask certainly would want back in, and Leduc is still chomping at the bit. That's just for the northern teams that are out one way or another.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
That's still better than a lot of BCHL teams that have the largest share of players on their rosters from OUTSIDE CANADA.

The problem is that the teams seemed to have decided to do this behind the backs of the AJHL. Okotoks was slated to host the Centennial Cup in '25 and still went ahead with it. The AJ has every right to react this way when teams have stated in public they weren't interested in the BCHL scheme.

Now, they've gotten themselves suspended, which is likely to void agreements with communities for arena use and with their sponsors. Even more so if they decide to put new franchises in other communities that have been looked at for a long time.

St Albert feels they have learned the lessons to have another shot. Fort Sask certainly would want back in, and Leduc is still chomping at the bit. That's just for the northern teams that are out one way or another.
My view is if it’s not local kids on the team, then I prefer to watch the best available players at that level. For Okotoks to give up Cen Cup, that tells you how much they were willing to lose to get out. I don’t have much nice to say about HC, so understand why the grassroots leagues are sprouting up.

Green Xero

I just don't care
Aug 2, 2023
Hell
I'm assuming the rules for the AB teams will be the same as the rest. 25 man roster. Minimum 13 Canadians. 5 must be from home province or state. Max of 2 players from outside N.A.. Since they have specific rulings already for US based teams I'm guessing more expansion is coming and It will soon be a Western League not just BC.

Reactions: bellagiobob

DoyleG

Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
My view is if it’s not local kids on the team, then I prefer to watch the best available players at that level. For Okotoks to give up Cen Cup, that tells you how much they were willing to lose to get out. I don’t have much nice to say about HC, so understand why the grassroots leagues are sprouting up.

If you think the BCHL scheme is "grassroots" then you are going to have some problems.

It has nothing to do with HC but is about a bunch of big men in BC trying to make up for their small wieners.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If you think the BCHL scheme is "grassroots" then you are going to have some problems.

It has nothing to do with HC but is about a bunch of big men in BC trying to make up for their small wieners.
Grassroots in the sense that it’s the first big league to get away from HC’s clutches, so a pioneer in that way. We will disagree about the HC reasoning. But a lot of younger age groups are breaking away from the old HC model and doing a really good job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad