GDT: [5.8%] 2017 NHL Draft Lottery - ~730PM EST

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Regarding Heiskanen... Here's an interesting wrinkle:

With a July 18 birthdate, the Finnish defenseman won’t turn 18 until after the draft this season. That makes him one of the younger players available in the draft. He is under contract with his Liiga team, HIFK, for two more seasons. There are some options for him coming to North America though. He can buy out his contract or convince HIFK to loan him. If he were to do so, he could either report directly to the AHL or play in the CHL. If he does not get out of his contract, he could also remain in Finland over the next two seasons and come to the AHL when he turns 20 years old.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Assuming we pick him, it'd be interesting to see how this is handled.

We've seen both sides - Nill wanting players in the system ASAP (Nichushkin, Honka) and also letting them develop at home where they're comfortable (Guryanov). I wonder if that was a change in his thought process, or more of a player-by-player decision.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Assuming we pick him, it'd be interesting to see how this is handled.

We've seen both sides - Nill wanting players in the system ASAP (Nichushkin, Honka) and also letting them develop at home where they're comfortable (Guryanov). I wonder if that was a change in his thought process, or more of a player-by-player decision.

The other factor here is we see these top three picks these days more ready to jump in fairly quickly. They don't need multiple years in the minors to get up to speed. It would suck to see him trapped abroad if he's ready to help the Stars.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Sorry to bother like this(Heiskanen fan here) but wouldn't that be a good thing(if he ends up being the pick).
Forgot the Hintz connection for second.

You'd know they would have scouted him all year long and wouldn't base the selection on 1 u18 tourney, they'd clearly be sold on him.

I shouldn't have said "afraid" cause that makes it sound like I don't want him.

I'm a huge Mittelstadt fan, so I would love for us to take him at 3. But if we go with Heiskanen, I'll be very, very happy. I have him ranked as the best defenseman in the draft, and I think he's real close to NHL ready (probably 1 year away).

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
By the way, save yourself from eye cancer by reading comments on the various forms of Stars social media. Can't tell you how many people have said that we should use the 3rd pick on a goalie/trade it for a goalie/etc.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

I'm a huge Mittelstadt fan, so I would love for us to take him at 3. But if we go with Heiskanen, I'll be very, very happy. I have him ranked as the best defenseman in the draft, and I think he's real close to NHL ready (probably 1 year away).

I'm excited to have either one of those two, really hope Nill picks either one of them. IMO they're the best option outside of Nolan and Nico.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Okay, I got the post wrong.

Outside of weight/strenght Heiskanen has everything you look from todays NHL player. His skating is effortless.

I agree that he's likely a year away, just needs to put up more muscle.

Again I think AHL is the best place for him,

1)It's a more offensive league which would allow him to develop his offensive game more and increase the chances of him turning into a real #1D.

2) Gets used to smaller rink and learns the teams style, would make life easier for +2 season.

3) Team most likely would want to keep their top3 pick as close as possible, you want to have as much controll of his develpment as possible. Top3 pick& a potential #1D is too valuable.

How do you feel about your teams AHL team, does it feel like a good development team?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Okay, I got the post wrong.

Outside of weight/strenght Heiskanen has everything you look from todays NHL player. His skating is effortless.

I agree that he's likely a year away, just needs to put up more muscle.

Again I think AHL is the best place for him,

1)It's a more offensive league which would allow him to develop his offensive game more and increase the chances of him turning into a real #1D.

2) Gets used to smaller rink and learns the teams style, would make life easier for +2 season.

3) Team most likely would want to keep their top3 pick as close as possible, you want to have as much controll of his develpment as possible. Top3 pick& a potential #1D is too valuable.

How do you feel about your teams AHL team, does it feel like a good development team?

I think the since Nill took over Texas has done a good job of developing young players. Pretty much everyone that Dallas called up was ready to step in right away and contribute positively . Also most prospects made good progress while with Texas . Well outside of goalies that kind of remained a tire fire. Can't have everything i guess.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I came away with the opposite take...

In terms of hockey IQ:

1. Suzuki
2. Tippett
3. Vilardi

No, it's Vilardi. It's the reason he's number 3. Suzuki has good hockey IQ, but not at Vilardi's level and hockey IQ is Tippett's biggest weakness.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Where do you see Vilardi's hockey IQ when you watch him play?

Specifically in his playmaking when working with the puck below the goal line. He is a force down there and can effectively use his size/strength to shield and distribute the puck.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Specifically in his playmaking when working with the puck below the goal line. He is a force down there and can effectively use his size/strength to shield and distribute the puck.

I can see where you are coming from, and perhaps I missed that aspect in my watchings...However, when I think of Hockey IQ in an elite sense, I think of it in more generalized terms. 2-way play, reading plays, are they used on both the PK and PP (a good indicator of Hockey IQ), scoring instincts, and high-level playmaking in ALL situations. That's where I see Suzuki as being superior to Vilardi in terms of all-around hockey IQ.

Tippett is also used on the PK, and here were my observations of him relative to his hockey sense when I put together my very amateur scouting report on him:

- Very versatile, 2-way winger. Used on both the PK and PP. (I wouldn't be surprised if he used to be a Center). I could see him playing up and down an NHL lineup if needed...anywhere from a 3rd Liner to a 1st Liner, and not look out of place. Probably a top-6 forward at the NHL level with very good upside.
- Drives the offense. Not a passenger.
- Good offensive instincts. High hockey IQ
- He is a "hunter"...always looking for an offensive opening, but he's not a lazy cherry picker. Finds his openings to steal the puck and transition, as well as to sneak past the D.

Vilardi on the other hand is far less versatile than either Tippett or Suzuki, and while he may excel in certain specialized situations from a hockey sense standpoint, I wouldn't at all consider him a "heady, playmaking" or "smart two-way" Center.

Just my 2 cents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad