GDT: [5.8%] 2017 NHL Draft Lottery - ~730PM EST

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Honka isn't soft

No that's true, but he's not very big. He would be the most physical out of those 4. Well to be fair, I don't know what Heisky is like, just a guess

Lindell started going for a few big hits towards the end of the season, but seemed to miss most lol

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
What's your thoughts on Heisky?

I don't much about him, besides him playing with Hintz, he's left handed, but mostly plays on the right side. Not overly big and is another offensive D. Not sure how he is in the defending zone

If we draft him and he plays on the left side we could have a future top 4 of Klingberg, Lindell, Honka and Heisky. 4 soft Euros lol

The only saving grace if we take him at #3 is at least he's a great skater. Otherwise, I'm not really interested.

Traditional hockey fans would probably like him more if he were physical, he's not, but he has a reputation of being good at playing defense, which has done wonders for his draft stock.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What's your thoughts on Heisky?

I don't much about him, besides him playing with Hintz, he's left handed, but mostly plays on the right side. Not overly big and is another offensive D. Not sure how he is in the defending zone

If we draft him and he plays on the left side we could have a future top 4 of Klingberg, Lindell, Honka and Heisky. 4 soft Euros lol

I think Heiskanen is better than Juolevi on draft day, he's a better skater and a great puck mover, great hands for defenseman, extremely calm.

He's great defensively and his offensive ceiling has been questioned as in does he have #1D potential. To me he has but I think he should play in the AHL next year, have him in more offensive enviroment.
Liiga is a defensive league and not the easiest league to put up high numbers as a 17y defenseman.

Heiskanen still put up similar numbers to Ristolainen while being nearly a year younger. Averaged 19mins in the regular season and 20.30mins in the playoffs in one of the best teams in the league. Some think he was HIFK's best defenseman at the end of season.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
The only saving grace if we take him at #3 is at least he's a great skater. Otherwise, I'm not really interested.

Traditional hockey fans would probably like him more if he were physical, he's not, but he has a reputation of being good at playing defense, which has done wonders for his draft stock.

Because what Dallas absolutely does not need is better defense, yeah?

But i get it, drafting a forward is more exciting.

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
If we can trade the pick for a difference making defenseman, than obviously do it. Certainty is better than potential. Of course, that's very unlikely.

So barring a trade, don't get cute. You're in desperate need of a left handed defenseman, and a good one just fell into your lap.

Keep it simple, don't screw it up and draft another forward.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
If we can trade the pick for a difference making defenseman, than obviously do it. Certainty is better than potential. Of course, that's very unlikely.

So barring a trade, don't get cute. You're in desperate need of a left handed defenseman, and a good one just fell into your lap.

Keep it simple, don't screw it up and draft another forward.

Watch New Jersey take Heisky lol

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Miro Heiskanen
Juuso Valimaki
Urho Vaakanainen
Timmy Liljegren
Erik Brannstrom

One big glut of euro defenseman. May as well throw a dart. (Hyperbole)

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
It could be an interesting defence core with so many softies, Heiskanen playd in HIFK who has the biggest wallet in liiga. The team was one of the biggest disappointment but when anothet team have firesale , HIFK take their 3 best players, so they make the playoffs. 9 of 15 teams.
the first round in the PO they won 2-0 both games in SD. next round they won 4-2, before they lost 1-4.
Heiskanen was injured ( for the second time this year) and missed the first 5 PO games.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Because what Dallas absolutely does not need is better defense, yeah?

But i get it, drafting a forward is more exciting.

I'm not into this game of drafting based on need. If you're picking at #3, you take the best guy on the board. Don't fall into this trap of "Well we need this now" because that changes pretty ****ing quickly.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
A good one fell into our lap?

You mean the one who became a top 5 pick overnight?

The important thing to note is that while he did rise late into becoming a consensus top 5 prospect, it was still prior to the draft lottery. 20 minutes a night in a pro league and most outstanding defenseman at U18s will do that to a guy.

He'll be a top 5 pick whether or not Dallas drafts him, and deservedly so. If Dallas doesn't take him at 3, Colorado will likely take him at 4.

Watch New Jersey take Heisky lol

Or New Jersey :laugh:

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
A good one fell into our lap?

You mean the one who became a top 5 pick overnight?

That's mainly due to being a defenseman in Liiga.

If Liljegren had Heiskanens season Liljegren would be in the talks for 1st overall, Heiskanen had the season Liljegren was supposed to have.
Liljegren is falling because month after month he has been disappointing.

Heiskanens weakness is his weight, but he's (still) 17y and that's a pretty good weakness to have.
A year in AHL and he should/could be NHL ready for his +2 season.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Not to mention we're effectively ruling out Makar and Liljegren due to their handedness.

Question about Makar... Might be a simple answer for those who know more about the junior leagues but if he's as good as people say, why is he not playing in a higher league?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Question about Makar... Might be a simple answer for those who know more about the junior leagues but if he's as good as people say, why is he not playing in a higher league?

He wants to go to college.

US colleges consider the WHL, OHL, QMJHL to be pro leagues, thus deeming them ineligible. Forces CHL level talents to play junior A instead.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I know I'm a little late to the party, but WAYOHHHH! haha

Great news.

For once...ever...I would consider trading this pick down very seriously. I think picks 2-mid first are a crapshoot. If we can still draft the player we want, and pick up additional assets, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

At almost anyone except Patrick could be on the board. Options a-plenty...Feels great!

Last edited:

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Heiskanen is a great defenseman and he think he has some really nice potential. But like Satan said, at 3rd overall, you take the best player available. Unless Patrick or Hischier fall, I think that that player is Mittelstadt.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I am afraid that because our scouts probably got a real good look at Heiskanen through Hintz, that he's their guy.

Honestly though, I'm not even so certain Patrick and Hischier will go 1 and 2. New Jersey desperately needs offense so I'm sure they'll take one, but who knows what Philly will do. They may value someone else higher or could continue to build one of the best, if not the best, young defense cores in the league and go with Heiskanen, Makar, or Liljegren. This draft is so wide open, I won't be surprised by anything.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Heiskanen is a great defenseman and he think he has some really nice potential. But like Satan said, at 3rd overall, you take the best player available. Unless Patrick or Hischier fall, I think that that player is Mittelstadt.

Vilardi is the third best forward available.

It's not much of a debate from what I've been reading and from what I've seen from Vilardi.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Vilardi is the third best forward available.

It's not much of a debate from what I've been reading and from what I've seen from Vilardi.

On paper Vilardi is appealing...a big center that puts up points...so I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree completely here. I'd take Tippett and Suzuki before Vilardi with no hesitation....and that's just within the OHL.

In my 7 or 8 viewings of Vilardi his play was very inconsistent, and his skating is well below average. He's not a playmaker supreme or a sniper. He also benefits from playing on a STACKED Windsor team.

He'd be the player I'd be very wary of taking at 3.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I am afraid that because our scouts probably got a real good look at Heiskanen through Hintz, that he's their guy.

Honestly though, I'm not even so certain Patrick and Hischier will go 1 and 2. New Jersey desperately needs offense so I'm sure they'll take one, but who knows what Philly will do. They may value someone else higher or could continue to build one of the best, if not the best, young defense cores in the league and go with Heiskanen, Makar, or Liljegren. This draft is so wide open, I won't be surprised by anything.

Sorry to bother like this(Heiskanen fan here) but wouldn't that be a good thing(if he ends up being the pick).
Forgot the Hintz connection for second.

You'd know they would have scouted him all year long and wouldn't base the selection on 1 u18 tourney, they'd clearly be sold on him.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
On paper Vilardi is appealing...a big center that puts up points...so I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree completely here. I'd take Tippett and Suzuki before Vilardi with no hesitation....and that's just within the OHL.

In my 7 or 8 viewings of Vilardi his play was very inconsistent, and his skating is well below average. He's not a playmaker supreme or a sniper. He also benefits from playing on a STACKED Windsor team.

He'd be the player I'd be very wary of taking at 3.

Vilardi is a much better player than either Tippett or Suzuki. His hockey IQ blows theirs out of the water.

It's not really much of a debate in my mind.

edit: also Windsor stacked? LMFAO. That team wasn't a top-5 team in the OHL and they had injuries all year to contend with. They weren't stacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad