Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Oilers Lose in Shootout

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I was ****ing livid that they were nose to nose for so long without anyone coming in to say boo. I don't give a **** if Hamhuis isn't a fighter, he's 31 and Nuge is 21 for crying out loud, and our skilled, #1 center. This team got bullied hard all night, and did absolutely nothing about it. Frankly I'm surprised I'm the only one that is annoyed by it.
I was very annoyed by it and made a post earlier in the thread similar to the one you just made.

BBO said that to his mind it looked like RNH was the one who wanted the scrap more than Hamhuis did. I don't disagree with that. Nuge also said post game that the hit he took was clean. I also don't disagree with that.

But none of that is really the point. There are a dozen reasons why we don't need RNH fighting his own battles out there, not the least of which is that if he busts his hand on Hamhuis' visor then its freaking Arcobello on the top line.

I don't even blame Hamhuis, but as usual the Canucks were running the show with their dirty antics all night long. Utterly disgusted that not one Oiler went looking for some retribution in the ten plus minutes that remained in the game. Guaranteed Gazdic would have had something to say about that if he'd been dressed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well we already dropped two very winnable games and going up against two teams that frequently blast us (Kings/Coyotes) and then the Canucks again...

We could be staring at 0-4-1 pretty quickly here. Is it too early to start the McDavid debate?

the Coyotes don't "blast" the Oilers anymore, not even close. It's not a gimme game but it's a game that the Oilers should definitely have a chance to win.

I already know the result of the Kings game so it's not even worth watching even though I'll wind up putting myself through that pain.

After that, it's a bunch of eastern conference teams at home all of whom play a style that should cater to the Oilers strengths. If they don't start off around .500 or so after the first 10 games, it's gonna get real ugly REAL fast.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
I was very annoyed by it and made a post earlier in the thread similar to the one you just made.

BBO said that to his mind it looked like RNH was the one who wanted the scrap more than Hamhuis did. I don't disagree with that. Nuge also said post game that the hit he took was clean. I also don't disagree with that.

But none of that is really the point. There are a dozen reasons why we don't need RNH fighting his own battles out there, not the least of which is that if he busts his hand on Hamhuis' visor then its freaking Arcobello on the top line.

I don't even blame Hamhuis, but as usual the Canucks were running the show with their dirty antics all night long. Utterly disgusted that not one Oiler went looking for some retribution in the ten plus minutes that remained in the game. Guaranteed Gazdic would have had something to say about that if he'd been dressed.

Some people are happy Nuge stood up for himself, but again I iterate the point - he shouldn't have to, he shouldn't be taking **** from many of these guys.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Some people are happy Nuge stood up for himself, but again I iterate the point - he shouldn't have to, he shouldn't be taking **** from many of these guys.

Nobody can help Nuge from the bench. Hamhuis was in his face and that got him angry at that minute. The only forwards who could have helped him were Hall and Ebs. I dont recall the Dpairing but they were often out with Schultz and Hunt. No help there. That's the value of a Dman like Weber, who you put out there to score goals but if things get nasty he can throw down at any time.

Those players are rarely available.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Nobody can help Nuge from the bench. Hamhuis was in his face and that got him angry at that minute. The only forwards who could have helped him were Hall and Ebs. I dont recall the Dpairing but they were often out with Schultz and Hunt. No help there. That's the value of a Dman like Weber, who you put out there to score goals but if things get nasty he can throw down at any time.

Darnell Nurse will almost certainly become one of those players, if he isn't already. Sadly, he's stuck sitting in the press box.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Darnell Nurse will almost certainly become one of those players, if he isn't already. Sadly, he's stuck sitting in the press box.

While I admire that in Nurse too, I'm not sure we want a dman filling that role...the last thing you want is one of your dmen to be off the ice for 5 minutes with a fighting major, especially if it's one of your top guys. If it's a forward, that's much easier to cover off as you have 11 other guys to pick up the slack rather than 5 dmen.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Good to know I'm not the only one annoyed at this. I think Nuge did initiate the fight, but I think he did so because he was pissed off at being smoked, and then having the idiot glove him in the face afterwards. Don't blame him for dropping the gloves, but someone else should have grabbed Hamhuis by that time.

If Gazdic had been dressed, I'm betting the Canucks would have behaved themselves a little more. Not saying they'd stop hitting, but maybe they'd hit a little less borderline, and stop with the cheap ****. Wasn't there a game where Gazdic ran the goalie and Bieksa apologized to Gazdic? I seem to remember that happening.

Doesn't matter who's on the ice, they need to get in there and mix it up. Throw a couple gloves and get a scrum going. Show's Nuge he isn't alone out there, and that you won't take your teammate getting bullied. Remember when Hall was being mugged by four guys and Petry sat on the ice watching? Those moments kill me as a fan.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

Unfortunate grouping on the ice at the time, but honestly, if I was someone like Hendricks, I would have happily taken my 10 game suspension. The line on the ice at the time though was Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Hunt and Schultz. Hall would be the only guy outta that group that I think would really fill Hamhius in.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The bottom line is that we had 2 physical players iced against the 'Nucks. Hendricks and Pouliot. No physicality on D, no Pinizzotto type, no Gazdic, the Canucks could run our show without any worries of the Sedins getting smoked. If we keep playing teams with lineups as soft as ours was last night we should get used to watching our top players being bounced around like ping pong balls out there. MacT spent like a drunken sailor on our defense yet not a single addition save for Aulie had any kind of toughness in his game. It's Nurse or bust in terms of toughness from our blueline.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unfortunate grouping on the ice at the time, but honestly, if I was someone like Hendricks, I would have happily taken my 10 game suspension. The line on the ice at the time though was Nuge, Hall, Eberle, Hunt and Schultz. Hall would be the only guy outta that group that I think would really fill Hamhius in.

Has Hall won a fight? I've seen him in 2 that I recall, the Dorsett fight and then he got smoked by Roussel. I'm not sure that he would've done any better in that scrap than RNH did. What we missed was someone ragdolling the Sedins the way that they were ragdolling our top line. Taking liberties every single chance that they got.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Has Hall won a fight? I've seen him in 2 that I recall, the Dorsett fight and then he got smoked by Roussel. I'm not sure that he would've done any better in that scrap than RNH did. What we missed was someone ragdolling the Sedins the way that they were ragdolling our top line. Taking liberties every single chance that they got.

Honestly, I'd prefer if we had our main players actually finishing their hits. That's half the problem. Hall or Nuge could smoke a Sedin no problem, Hall especially, but he only finishes hits when he's angry. The only guys out of our early draft picks that finish the body are Drai and Yak. If I was Eakins I'd start cutting shifts for every fly-by that Eberle does, because it's getting as bad as Yak was last year. Every team I played on growing up, it didn't matter if you were the smallest guy on the team, you were expected to finish your check to seal the player out of the play. Shouldn't matter if he's bigger than you, you should still be able to remove him from the play.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Honestly, I'd prefer if we had our main players actually finishing their hits. That's half the problem. Hall or Nuge could smoke a Sedin no problem, Hall especially, but he only finishes hits when he's angry. The only guys out of our early draft picks that finish the body are Drai and Yak. If I was Eakins I'd start cutting shifts for every fly-by that Eberle does, because it's getting as bad as Yak was last year. Every team I played on growing up, it didn't matter if you were the smallest guy on the team, you were expected to finish your check to seal the player out of the play. Shouldn't matter if he's bigger than you, you should still be able to remove him from the play.

Agreed, Hall could be a beast in terms of hitting. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to watch him smoking Brodin in the AHL during the lockout. I think that they are too worried that they will have to drop the mitts. Because of that it'd be nice to have someone that can drop 'em on their line. RNH has been playing fairly physical and his shoulder must feel pretty good by now. Hall could really stand to elevate that part of his game IMO.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Agreed, Hall could be a beast in terms of hitting. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to watch him smoking Brodin in the AHL during the lockout. I think that they are too worried that they will have to drop the mitts. Because of that it'd be nice to have someone that can drop 'em on their line. RNH has been playing fairly physical and his shoulder must feel pretty good by now. Hall could really stand to elevate that part of his game IMO.

He needs to learn how to throw a hit though first. He's gonna hurt himself trying to throw himself at people like he did on Saturday night. When Hall tries to hit he just throws his entire body at the person and doesn't care what body part makes contact. Guys at their level, if they throw the hit and skate away, noone is chasing them down, and if they do, they just need to turtle and take the penalty. Sometimes that's the best thing to do.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was ****ing livid that they were nose to nose for so long without anyone coming in to say boo. I don't give a **** if Hamhuis isn't a fighter, he's 31 and Nuge is 21 for crying out loud, and our skilled, #1 center. This team got bullied hard all night, and did absolutely nothing about it. Frankly I'm surprised I'm the only one that is annoyed by it.

I'm proud of Nuge for sticking up for himself, but it shouldn't have got to that point.
You're not the only one that's annoyed with it. The guts and character of some of the players on this roster have been questioned for so long that people just don't bother bringing it up anymore. It's just accepted now. Still some comfortable guys around here that need to be weeded out before this group can become a team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hendricks and Ference are the only two guys on the current roster that have any inkling to stand up for a teammate. Too bad both should be on the ice as little as possible and aren't that great of fighters to really do much when they are.

MacT wanted to bring in size. And he did. Unfortunately they're all big cream puffs though.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Better than last year? Facing the top opposition? Marincin isnt even playing in the league atm. He's going to come in here, and face Sidney Crosby, the Sedins, Perry and Getzlaf, night in and night out, with Jeff Petry of all people.

I dont think that's going to be a noticeable improvement.

Could very well ruin another promising d prospect though.

That is how Marincin and Petry where used last season. That is the main reason people where angry Marty was sent down.

Yes Marincin Petry are an improvement over Nikitin Fayne right now.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
The bottom line is that we had 2 physical players iced against the 'Nucks. Hendricks and Pouliot. No physicality on D, no Pinizzotto type, no Gazdic, the Canucks could run our show without any worries of the Sedins getting smoked. If we keep playing teams with lineups as soft as ours was last night we should get used to watching our top players being bounced around like ping pong balls out there. MacT spent like a drunken sailor on our defense yet not a single addition save for Aulie had any kind of toughness in his game. It's Nurse or bust in terms of toughness from our blueline.

Honestly if Pinizzotto or Gazdic are on the ice with the Sedins in a 4-4 game, we have big problems, and that would be a much bigger indictment of Eakins' coaching abilities than anything I've seen thus far.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
That is how Marincin and Petry where used last season. That is the main reason people where angry Marty was sent down.

Yes Marincin Petry are an improvement over Nikitin Fayne right now.

oh but the acquisition of Nikitin and Fayne where bringing in NHL READY defensemen.. ?!?

a used robot and a guy who's foot speed can only be described as "Whitney-like"

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Some slight adjustments to add physicallity to our lineup at the expense of skill.

Hall-RNH-Eberle: 1st line stays the same, give them time to get going

Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov: This line has looked good

Perron-Gordon-Purcell: Use this line for the defensive zone starts

Pinizzoto-Hendricks-Joensuu: Energy line

Ference-Fayne: Ference might be ok with a steady defensive partner

Nikitin-Petry: Give them the 2nd toughest minutes

Aulie-Schultz: Least amount of minutes but Schultz gets 1st line PP time

PB is Arcobello, Acton and Hunt. First callup on defence is Marincin.

jgoud*

That's the problem. The only guys who finish their hits in our top 9 are Yakupov and Pouliot. Every chance you get, even if you're Eberle, you need to finish your checks. When the opposing team notices that there is zero hits in the game, they can make even a small hit and it swings the momentum. I wish Eakins made guys like Hall and Drai finish their checks, because they have the size and are capable of delivering them, they just choose not to. I don't think i've seen Drai throw a hit even once. I really miss Gilbert Brule, loved how he would just not give a **** and knock whoever the hell he wanted to around. The oilers need more talent that can throw their weight around.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Some slight adjustments to add physicallity to our lineup at the expense of skill.

Hall-RNH-Eberle: 1st line stays the same, give them time to get going

Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov: This line has looked good

Perron-Gordon-Purcell: Use this line for the defensive zone starts

Pinizzoto-Hendricks-Joensuu: Energy line

Ference-Fayne: Ference might be ok with a steady defensive partner

Nikitin-Petry: Give them the 2nd toughest minutes

Aulie-Schultz: Least amount of minutes but Schultz gets 1st line PP time

PB is Arcobello, Acton and Hunt. First callup on defence is Marincin.

I'd roll with

Hall-RNH-Purcell
Pouliot-Drai-Yakupov
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Pakarinen

Nurse-Fayne
Marincin-Petry
Hunt-Schultz

But this will never, ever, ever, happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad