Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Oilers Lose in Shootout

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Didn't read very much of this thread, so it's already been discussed I assume.

But the thing that surprised me the most, and I was very happy to see it, is when Nuge went and fought Hamhuis. He threw a couple of good slobberknockers.......thought he actually was closer to a win than Hamhuis, though it was sort of a tie.

I know we don't want to see Nuge hurt himself or his hands, but they need that kind of pushback every now and again.

Some of these young guys we've watched for the last 2 or 3 years are starting to round into the form of NHL players.

No more giving other NHLer's respect because of their experience. Hopefully they will start taking that respect for themselves.
Not sure again what it says about the rest of the team to see Nuge fight. We saw how it worked out for Hall in his rookie season when he finally had enough and decided to stand up for himself when nobody else would.

That said I think it was good for Nuge. It shows the rest of the league that he isn't going to back down when he's being bullied. It was nice to see him get some good shots in too. Then again, I imagine it's pretty hard not to punch a Canuck in the face when you get a chance to do it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Playoff teams have lost to Edmonton last year, does that mean they suck?

There are games that you should of won but the goaltenders changed that. Simple as that. If LA loses to Winnipeg and beats us then yeah, we are in awful shape.

Of course not, but those are also playoff teams, they usually eat teams like the Oilers for lunch (We didn't beat Chicago, St. Louis, or LA once last year for instance)

The fact of the matter is that this is looking eerily similar to last year. A team like the Oilers can't afford to lose any points and here we are staring that the possibility of being in the basement before the halfway mark of this month. (Thank God for Colorado)

Should they go winless on this road trip (and history has suggested that might be the case) they better start making hay at home. Teams like LA and Dallas have plenty of chances to catch up. The Oilers do not,.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not sure again what it says about the rest of the team to see Nuge fight. We saw how it worked out for Hall in his rookie season when he finally had enough and decided to stand up for himself when nobody else would.

That said I think it was good for Nuge. It shows the rest of the league that he isn't going to back down when he's being bullied. It was nice to see him get some good shots in too. Then again, I imagine it's pretty hard not to punch a Canuck in the face when you get a chance to do it.

That fight was important for RNH.
Its time he started playing big boy hockey and if last nights game was any indication he is clearly starting to transition his game.

Very good to see.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
One of the main differences is Yak is physically much stronger. He can bull right through people. Something Eberle will just never have in his repertoire. Its pretty clear that Eberle relies on deft hands to try to transition puck out whereas Yak can scrum a puck out of his own zone. This attribute will come in handy on this team. Yak is always going to be better in puck battles than Eberle going forward. Just give it time and its going to be very evident.
It isn't even about the physicality, Yakupov was active with his stick, trying to break passes up. Attacking his man to force a play. It doesn't take much strength to do that, just effort. No reason why Eberle can't do something like that. Instead he's standing straight up, loosely holding his stick and doing absolutely nothing other than watching the play going on around him. Unless somebody screws up and passes the puck directly to him he isn't involved in the play. That the Canucks did screw up three times on that shift and gave him the puck and he still couldn't get it out of the zone makes it even worse.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Didn't read very much of this thread, so it's already been discussed I assume.

But the thing that surprised me the most, and I was very happy to see it, is when Nuge went and fought Hamhuis. He threw a couple of good slobberknockers.......thought he actually was closer to a win than Hamhuis, though it was sort of a tie.
I know we don't want to see Nuge hurt himself or his hands, but they need that kind of pushback every now and again.

Some of these young guys we've watched for the last 2 or 3 years are starting to round into the form of NHL players.

No more giving other NHLer's respect because of their experience. Hopefully they will start taking that respect for themselves.

Nuge faired well early on but he was throwing rabbit punches. Looking busy. At the end of the fight Hamhuis landed a solid shot and Nuge was clocked going down immediately. End of fight.

Nice to see Nuge recognize that its a physical game but lets not get carried away.

Best way for some of our stars to defend themselves is watching tape of Glenn Anderson or Ryan Smyth. Guys guaranteed to get their sticks up high if its in close. But make the 2 minutes worthwhile. Carve, do dental surgery. If somebody is coming after a talented player its up to that player to make them pay, not to be an easy target for hits. Which the Oilers were most of last night. Get the elbows and stick up. Gordie Howe it and they leave you alone more.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Of course not, but those are also playoff teams, they usually eat teams like the Oilers for lunch (We didn't beat Chicago, St. Louis, or LA once last year for instance)

The fact of the matter is that this is looking eerily similar to last year. A team like the Oilers can't afford to lose any points and here we are staring that the possibility of being in the basement before the halfway mark of this month. (Thank God for Colorado)

Should they go winless on this road trip (and history has suggested that might be the case) they better start making hay at home. Teams like LA and Dallas have plenty of chances to catch up. The Oilers do not,.

Sad thing is we haven't even played a good team yet and we have 2 losses in 2 games. Against non playoff opponents. It doesn't get any easier than this in WC games. Nucks even took us lightly in first period.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sad thing is we haven't even played a good team yet and we have 2 losses in 2 games. Against non playoff opponents. It doesn't get any easier than this in WC games. Nucks even took us lightly in first period.

Mmhmm. You just know the likes of the Kings are going to be ready.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Why can't we have Klefbom-Schultz and MM-Petry? For the love of Pocklington.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Would be awesome if we'd stop ducking around with non- or barely-NHL players like Hunt and Ference and start playing the guys who were our two best d-men last year: Petry and Marincin. It's not like we're gonna shut down the entire d-zone with that upgrade but there is no reason why Marincin is in the minors and Petry is playing 18 minutes/game.

God, Eakins just misses the boat on soooo much, it's hard to take him seriously.

The most frustrating part is the coach 300 km south of us has the balls to scratch their 5.25M D in Wideman.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Would be awesome if we'd stop ducking around with non- or barely-NHL players like Hunt and Ference and start playing the guys who were our two best d-men last year: Petry and Marincin. It's not like we're gonna shut down the entire d-zone with that upgrade but there is no reason why Marincin is in the minors and Petry is playing 18 minutes/game.

God, Eakins just misses the boat on soooo much, it's hard to take him seriously.

I can see them giving Petry limited minutes as he us just coming off of an injury. Marincin out of the lineup is a complete joke though. I agree that Eakins is really missing the boat, but maybe McT has a say too. Marincin should be in way before Nikitin, Hunt or Ference. It's time to get Ference in the press box.

Duck Holliday

Jul 6, 2014
Nuge faired well early on but he was throwing rabbit punches. Looking busy. At the end of the fight Hamhuis landed a solid shot and Nuge was clocked going down immediately. End of fight.

Nice to see Nuge recognize that its a physical game but lets not get carried away.

Best way for some of our stars to defend themselves is watching tape of Glenn Anderson or Ryan Smyth. Guys guaranteed to get their sticks up high if its in close. But make the 2 minutes worthwhile. Carve, do dental surgery. If somebody is coming after a talented player its up to that player to make them pay, not to be an easy target for hits. Which the Oilers were most of last night. Get the elbows and stick up. Gordie Howe it and they leave you alone more.

That reminds me of some older guys I played rec league with (but they had played junior and senior in the 80/90s). They were willing to fight you but before the fight they'd feed guys their stick first then go.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Ference and Eakins really really bother me. Hard to cheer for this team with those two playing big roles. Good to see nuge stand up for himself and I thought yakupov played pretty well.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I can see them giving Petry limited minutes as he us just coming off of an injury. Marincin out of the lineup is a complete joke though. I agree that Eakins is really missing the boat, but maybe McT has a say too. Marincin should be in way before Nikitin, Hunt or Ference. It's time to get Ference in the press box.

Ference of waivers is more like it.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Well, even if you didn't agree with my post, I agree with this.

I'm from the same old school club that loved the Bruins and then followed Philly since about 7 years old.

Gordie Howe and Anderson it up. I can't remember too many games where anyone went at Anderson too much. They knew that they or their goalie was going to be rocked by lumber or a sliding ass into the pads.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

I was ****ing livid that they were nose to nose for so long without anyone coming in to say boo. I don't give a **** if Hamhuis isn't a fighter, he's 31 and Nuge is 21 for crying out loud, and our skilled, #1 center. This team got bullied hard all night, and did absolutely nothing about it. Frankly I'm surprised I'm the only one that is annoyed by it.

I'm proud of Nuge for sticking up for himself, but it shouldn't have got to that point.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
I was ****ing livid that they were nose to nose for so long without anyone coming in to say boo. I don't give a **** if Hamhuis isn't a fighter, he's 31 and Nuge is 21 for crying out loud, and our skilled, #1 center. This team got bullied hard all night, and did absolutely nothing about it. Frankly I'm surprised I'm the only one that is annoyed by it.

I'm proud of Nuge for sticking up for himself, but it shouldn't have got to that point.

Pouliot tried to respond to the hit on Nuge, but he tagged the wrong guy haha.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

While I do agree with the use of well placed sticks/elbows I don't agree that Nuge was beaten in that fight by Hamhuis punch. It looked to me that Nuge punched the visor dead on and turtled, probably thinking he busted his hand. Which is a loss either way..

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Who replaces Ference on the top pairing?

Top pairing of what the AHL? Schultz and Ference should be seeing light work 5v5 instead it is divivded reletivly evenly. Nikitin looks like he is playing over his head. Hunt and Schultz are a disaster in their own end. Here is how I would form the pairings if we want Nurse to get some reps in the NHL.

Marincin-Petry
Nurse-Fayne
Nikitin/Ference-Schultz

Give Nikitin some time to recover and Partners Nurse with a steady influence.

Oct 15, 2008
Top pairing of what the AHL? Schultz and Ference should be seeing light work 5v5 instead it is divivded reletivly evenly. Nikitin looks like he is playing over his head. Hunt and Schultz are a disaster in their own end. Here is how I would form the pairings if we want Nurse to get some reps in the NHL.

Marincin-Petry
Nurse-Fayne
Nikitin/Ference-Schultz

Give Nikitin some time to recover and Partners Nurse with a steady influence.

So Marincin and Petry face the top opposition?

How do you think that's going to go?

Oct 15, 2008
Probably about the same as last year, maybe better. It is much better than what we got going on now.

Better than last year? Facing the top opposition? Marincin isnt even playing in the league atm. He's going to come in here, and face Sidney Crosby, the Sedins, Perry and Getzlaf, night in and night out, with Jeff Petry of all people.

I dont think that's going to be a noticeable improvement.

Could very well ruin another promising d prospect though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad