GDT: 5/4 • United States 3, Switzerland 4 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That's fair, have they played together before as a pairing on the Devils? I don't follow them very closely.

It's crazy the gap between elite talents in the US system. On one side you have guys like Rafalski, Modano, Tkachuk, Roenick etc, and on the other side you have guys like Parise, Kessel, Kane, etc. There isn't a whole ton in between. Off the top of my head I can only think of Martin and Cole, I'm sure there's more but the US went a long time without a ton of elite talent.

krax

Jul 25, 2007
Sandy Jeannin gives his stick to the little guy who doesn't believe it. :handclap:

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Yeah, I thought the defense was going to be a strength of this team, but it's been far from air tight. This is how my U.S. defense at the Olympics looks:

Rafalski-Martin
Corvo-Gleason
Suter-Ballard
Whitney-Orpik

If Erik Johnson doesn't re-injure himself before the Olymics he will be on the team. He is a better player than Corvo, Gleason, Suter, Ballard, Whitney, and Orpik.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
That's fair, have they played together before as a pairing on the Devils? I don't follow them very closely.

It's crazy the gap between elite talents in the US system. On one side you have guys like Rafalski, Modano, Tkachuk, Roenick etc, and on the other side you have guys like Parise, Kessel, Kane, etc. There isn't a whole ton in between. Off the top of my head I can only think of Martin and Cole, I'm sure there's more but the US went a long time without a ton of elite talent.
I don't think they ever played together as a pairing on the Devils, maybe on the power play. I'll be honest, it's been two years since Rafalski played for the Devils and I'm bad at remembering lines/defense pairs, aside from the really dominant ones.

Martin will be a big asset for the US, he is very underrated. He plays on the first PK and first PP for the Devils (normally the only defenseman with Langenbrunner at the other point). I just looked at the stats for US defensemen in the NHL this year and he led them all in ice time, and was in the top 10 for both points and +/- (only other two in the top 10 in both categories were Rafalski and Ballard).

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
If Erik Johnson doesn't re-injure himself before the Olymics he will be on the team. He is a better player than Corvo, Gleason, Suter, Ballard, Whitney, and Orpik.

I still have reservations about sending a 20-year-old kid who hasn't played in a year to the Olympics. I don't think EJ makes the team. I do think JMFJ will make it. He's been a force in this tournament.

4rde

Dec 13, 2008
Bleh how many years have we faced usa in the quartes and russia after that. Its getting boring already.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I still have reservations about sending a 20-year-old kid who hasn't played in a year to the Olympics. I don't think EJ makes the team. I do think JMFJ will make it. He's been a force in this tournament.
Won't he be back at the start of the season? That's 4 months of playing in the NHL.

Zorkan

I love how the next two lines from that very same rule are simply ignored:

"However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule."

You are right. But as this whole rule shows, it's in the discretion of the referee to assess the individual situation. The reason I posted the rule was because some people claimed that it was clearly a clean hit and that the European refs suck again. IMO it was boarding:

Sprunger was tripped which led to him losing his balance, when he got up, he was pushed into the boards on the level of his neck.

What should he have done? Stay down?

Anyways, he seems to not be paralyzed which is the only thing that counts.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
You are right. But as this whole rule shows, it's in the discretion of the referee to assess the individual situation. The reason I posted the rule was because some people claimed that it was clearly a clean hit and that the European refs suck again. IMO it was boarding:

Sprunger was tripped which led to him losing his balance, when he got up, he was pushed into the boards on the level of his neck.

What should he have done? Stay down?

Sprunger did nothing wrong other than being unlucky and not being able to keep his balance. But neither did Backes. It was simply an unfortunate incident (that could be avoided in the future if the IIHF ever gets safer boards).

The ref only called a penalty because he stayed down. If he was uninjured play would've continued. It was not necessary to call anything on Backes for simply playing the body.

Glad to hear Sprunger is ok! And good game to the Swiss! Just too bad the refs had to play such a large part in the game.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA

Off the top of my head; Langenbrunner, Gionta, Drury, Gomez, Weight, Guerin, Rolston, Schneider, Parrish are all I can come up with

Note: Just realized most of the guys on my list are former Devils players, except Schneider, Parrish and Drury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad