5/30/17 GMBM press conference 12:00pm

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
We weren't good enough this season and there's no way the team will be as talented next season. Now is the obvious time to make a major move or three. Our Captain is a net negative now and going forward. As a long time sports fan I know exactly what I'm seeing. It's crystal clear.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
They were an average goaltending performance away from beating the Penguins.

There should be changes but blowing it up is a massive overreaction.

A hurting Penguins team. Letang in that series and it isn't close. We also barely beat a hurting, green Leafs team. We still lack the offensive depth to hang with the best teams and we lack an identity as well. Unless joke counts as an identity.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@Buccigross: If I was FORCED to bet a paycheck on whether Alex Ovechkin will be traded this summer, my bet would be yes. I believe the Caps will try hard

Shrug.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
They were an average goaltending performance away from beating the Penguins.

There should be changes but blowing it up is a massive overreaction.

Yeah, let's tank and wait 10 years before finding our McDavid, and there's no problem if we finish after those 10 years, only with a Yakupov type player.

Do you two ever watch the games? Every year is a new excuse. This is not about “an average goaltending performance awayâ€. This team does not have the heart to win. I could be ok with losing every year if for one time I felt like they went out fighting. They just can’t put together the full effort to win.

I don’t know if you guys just don’t want to see or you are just in denial. This team/core will never get it done. Even if they get a little better it’s not like they were that close. They are still a few big steps away from a cup. Not just “an average goaltending performance away†from getting out of the second round.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Let's not ignore the obvious when contemplating the negative projections. Trotz has been stuck in the same rut for almost 20 years. The Franchise has been stuck in the same rut for about as long. The current "core" has been in that same rut for their entire careers. Trotz seems to make light of this and claims the players are doing the same, but the players all talk about how it's in their heads.

They're not breaking out of this pattern without something to change that pattern. It's not one or two players. It's not a system. It's not a playoff matchup. It's got to be a complete cultural shift from top to bottom, and it has to come from someone who knows what the **** he is doing.

The patients keep dying on the operating table. Time to stop letting the orderlies experiment and bring in a surgeon.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That's a load of horse pucky. Did you hear what John Carlson said after? Carlson is a tainted loser. Backstrom is as tainted as Ovechkin. Several times thru their era Backstrom could have stepped up and gotten them over the hump. In every case they failed and him along with them. All of their current best players are poisoned by it. Williams would be effected by were he to stay. He is the game 7 clutch player of all time....except when he played for Washington.

They scored ZERO goals in game 7. Yea, Ovechkin didn't get one. Neither did Williams. The super hero Williams of the past would have scored 2 himself. Oshie, nothing. Kuzy 0. Burt squat. Nisky and Carlson and that big splash of a trade Shattenkirk scored bupkus.

I love that you can't even argue about what I'm saying so you just bring up other players that I have said nothing about. You also didn't address his declining and him being overpaid, which is what I said separates Ovechkin from the other disappointments.

Learn to read.

washlion

Aug 22, 2010
What two things did the Pens and Blackhawks do a few years ago, prior to their Cups?
They changed their coaches and GM.
Anything less by the Caps, imho, will continue the status quo.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
What two things did the Pens and Blackhawks do a few years ago, prior to their Cups?
They changed their coaches and GM.
Anything less by the Caps, imho, will continue the status quo.

Are you new? We just did that two years ago.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
No coach has beaten Pittsburgh since they added Kessel

Again a lot of this comes down to how we lost. At no point in the past ten years have I ever felt like we went down fighting.

Sadly this has little to do with the coaches. The core is rotten.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Imagine Russian National Team fan. Long time fan knows Russia won't win Olympics because of Canada. Canada is much stronger and there is no chance to win practically.

Do we fans expect to win OG? No.

Is it still worth to watch hockey? Yes.

Is there a chance situation changes? Yes. 10-15 years of kid/youth hockey development, new generation of coaches with NHL experience (at least as players) - and then maybe we have a new foundation to win it all. What is sad - there is no movement to that so far in Russia :P

Now get back to Washington DC. Things are much better here.

There is on ice product to watch and enjoy. There is a little shortage of ultimate results. And nobody to know how to fix that. But they know how to maintain current state for another 5 years (or maybe more) and still have a puncher's chance. They will go this road for sure.

Ovechkin is a part of both stories. I expect things to change after his career is over. Will I care at that point? I don't know. I'll try.

FIRE McTROTZ!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I got the sense that GMBM had discussions about moving on from Trotz but the higher ups nixed it. If that's the case there's not a lot GMBM can do and it means his hands are tied regarding making big decisions

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I heard a rumor of Hartley in Caps too ;)

Anyway, watching Malkin play, I think Kuznetsov could become more impactful player in the mold of Malkin if could make his shot a less rare thing and score more out of his odd mans. While Backstrom is still good, Kuznetsov's rise could be enough to win maybe.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I suspect Trotz won't finish the season as the coach.

I suspect he won't make it to Christmas and honestly I wouldn't mind a mid season coach switch. It could get the Caps refocused and not peaking in January.

My thought on the matter is BMac wanted to fire Trotz almost instantly after losing to the Penguins. I think he took time to see what was available for coaches, Ted's input (sadly), and what a coach would mean to the teams play. I think Trotz is being saved by the lack of any real desirable head coach candidates

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I suspect he won't make it to Christmas and honestly I wouldn't mind a mid season coach switch. It could get the Caps refocused and not peaking in January.

My thought on the matter is BMac wanted to fire Trotz almost instantly after losing to the Penguins. I think he took time to see what was available for coaches, Ted's input (sadly), and what a coach would mean to the teams play. I think Trotz is being saved by the lack of any real desirable head coach candidates

If what you say is true, Snyder/Allen and Leonsis/Patrick are starting to morph into the same people. That said, do we have any evidence BM wanted to fire Trotz other than a disagreement on the role history plays? If Leonsis/Patrick don't want Trotz fired, that means they believe it's a roster issue rather than coaching, which is an indictment of Maclellan. While I think it's foolish to keep Trotz, at the very least I hope the decision to keep him is Maclellan's.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

is Darryl Suter not a good candidate, I mean what more can the guy do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad