GDT: 5/24/16 - 8:00PM EDT - #2 Pittsburgh VS #2 Tampa Bay [ECF GAME 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
If we lose this series, they have no one else to blame but themselves. They have two games to advance and if you can't muster up a win in neither of them, you don't deserve to win a series. It should've been over after tonight. I believe we can win but the Pens are probably the favourites.

Yes, it should have been over. To have a letdown like that at home in an elimination game is quite disturbing. Can we win yes, will we win, I doubt it. I just don't think 3 wins on Pens ice is in the cards. We are just not a SC champion team in 2016 there is still something missing, heart, desire and coaching come to mind.

Bolts265

Nov 9, 2011
Zephyrhills, FL
-4 in an elimination game, Norris candidate my Hiney. He does give great pre game quotes, just has a problem actually executing them on a consistent basis. Please also go to shooting accuracy school this summer. They may also teach you to shoot quicker instead of taking time to tee up everything while the defense and the goalie position themselves for the block or save.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hedman and Stralman together just isn't working, it's great in the regular season against weaker competition but against teams with speed and skill throughout the lineup it's bad. Both want to pinch in on every play and get caught deep far too often. Sustr-Garrison works because they know to stay back when one pinches and don't give up constant breakaways or odd man rushes.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I just think it's not working because Stralman sucks right now coming off that injury, and Hedman is having to do too much to cover him. Wasn't an issue last year. Honestly I would just scratch Stralman, sorry to say.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I just think it's not working because Stralman sucks right now coming off that injury, and Hedman is having to do too much to cover him. Wasn't an issue last year. Honestly I would just scratch Stralman, sorry to say.

Not just stralman holding him back, their speed and quick passing is giving hedman fits. Someone used the term "playing swords" to describe Hedmans defense this series, he's always caught reaching and jabbing because someone got around him.

They arent working together right now. I wouldnt sit him for nesterov or carle but move him to the 3rd unit.

Hedman-Coburn
Garrison-Sustr
Koekkoek-Stralman

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Listening to Engblom last night on the postgame show and this morning on 620 he said a big problem was the D was stopping behind the net too much limiting their breakout options instead of skating or moving the puck between the corners to set things up. Pittsburgh was also moving on the receiver of breakout passes quickly and not giving them a lot of time. He also felt they were overthinking last night to what Pittsburgh was doing "if they do this, I have to do this" and that's why they looked slow. Maybe nothing earth shattering there but I thought it was interesting.

There just wasn't enough desperation until they went down three goals. It just seems like they get too comfortable with a series lead and expect the other team to roll over. Game 6 against Montreal last year and Game 5 against the Isles this year they went after it and wanted to put them away. In other chances we've had to eliminate teams they haven't played desperate enough and it's frustrating they haven't learned that lesson yet. I almost feel better going into tomorrow night's game since our backs are against the wall than last night where they had the edge in the series. Maybe that Drouin goal would've settled them down and gotten them to play their game, but right call was made and it was a tough break. I just want them to come out aggressive like they did in games 4 and 5. Their goalies aren't playing great, put pucks on net(looking at you Fil and Vlad). When this series has been relatively even we've come out with wins, when Pittsburgh has dominated they've won. Can't let Pittsburgh dictate things again or they'll be heading home.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Yehp, team waited too long to kick it into gear and Hedman/Stralman has been a huge issue. Compare this series to last series with Hedman in mind. If he played that well this time around, we'd be heading to the finals right now, 100%.

Stralman has been a big liability too, and until he gets it together, he needs to be seeing sheltered minutes more often.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The problem is that if you let an opportunity to a team of Pittsburgh's level to get back in the series, they're likely to seize it. When you play with fire, you end up getting burned.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Not really Coops fault on this one...he played the lines pretty well, and used Drouin exceptionally.

Coops fault Hedman and Stralman completely **** the bed in their roles last night? Or that Johnson had half a dozen turnovers?

That's what we read almost every time we lose a game. That's not what Cooper wants, he wants to keep the Pens on their heels, he wants to create turnovers, he wants a sustained possession. When you see guys sitting in their own end, it is also related to bad execution (poor passing, decision making, effort, positioning and all). We don't have the puck, we don't have the shift-per-shift momentum, we're getting tired, we're giving up one, two, three goals. We lost.

But it is not just last night or after a loss. It is not a recent problem. In the Islander series we were outshot badly in the first period every game because of sitting back. Bishop was able to weather the storm and the team kicked in during the 2nd instead of the third like we are seeing in this series. Have we really had bad execution, poor passing, decision making, effort, & positioning for the beginning of 9 out of the last 11 games? Or is it a system the players have been taught? It really does not matter because if the answer is yes to either of those questions then that's on Cooper for not correcting the problem.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Stralman has been a hot steaming pile of poo since his return. Nothing by a liability. We played better without him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stralman has been a hot steaming pile of poo since his return. Nothing by a liability. We played better without him.

If we do advance, and imagine getting Stamkos back next series, who has not played in nearly two months? If we get to the SCF with this lineup, I like our odds. Question is, which ****ing team will show up tomorrow.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
It's sad that it's come to the point where, when the team says that they will be ready tomorrow, that you just don't believe them, however if they want to surprise us all I think we're all for it but I don't think anyone here expect much.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
It was a much more successful playoffs than I could have imagined given the key injuries. Should be an interesting off season in terms of contracts etc.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Hedman and Stralman together just isn't working, it's great in the regular season against weaker competition but against teams with speed and skill throughout the lineup it's bad. Both want to pinch in on every play and get caught deep far too often. Sustr-Garrison works because they know to stay back when one pinches and don't give up constant breakaways or odd man rushes.

It was better with Hedman/Coburn and Sustr/Stralman. Hedman has been horrid the last two games and Stralman just can not get physical enough or outskate anyone yet.

The sad thing is that I think Garrison can cover for Carle's mistakes so its futile to think Coop's going to change it much going into game 7. Ah well, it was a good run while it lasted....

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
But it is not just last night or after a loss. It is not a recent problem. In the Islander series we were outshot badly in the first period every game because of sitting back. Bishop was able to weather the storm and the team kicked in during the 2nd instead of the third like we are seeing in this series. Have we really had bad execution, poor passing, decision making, effort, & positioning for the beginning of 9 out of the last 11 games? Or is it a system the players have been taught? It really does not matter because if the answer is yes to either of those questions then that's on Cooper for not correcting the problem.

What's on Cooper is not putting 25 in the pressbox again forever.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Considering the comebacks we've had in the last 12 months in playoffs, and this year in particular, not sure why anyone is mailing it in already. Sure it's going to be a monumental effort and it's something they haven't done this series, playing 60 minutes, but don't give up guys.

I was heartbroken last night but we can still do it. We really need our big time players to play their best game of the year tomorrow. Need the depth to help out and the high profile secondary players to have a great performance. There's no reason why we can't beat them. We have beaten them 6 times this year and 50% this postseason. We can do it. Believe.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Stop crying on this board! We knew
This series was going to be hard! I picked Tampa bay in 7 games! And I'm sticking to it! Did you guys really think we would beat the Penguins 3 straight games to win game 6? There a good hockey team and so are we.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's game 7. We've got as good a chance as anyone.

Win and we're in. Lose and we're out.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
Considering the comebacks we've had in the last 12 months in playoffs, and this year in particular, not sure why anyone is mailing it in already. Sure it's going to be a monumental effort and it's something they haven't done this series, playing 60 minutes, but don't give up guys.

I was heartbroken last night but we can still do it. We really need our big time players to play their best game of the year tomorrow. Need the depth to help out and the high profile secondary players to have a great performance. There's no reason why we can't beat them. We have beaten them 6 times this year and 50% this postseason. We can do it. Believe.

Agreed. It was the same gloom and doom last year after a deflating loss to the Rangers in game 6, at Amalie. That game was worse than this one in so many ways.
It's a missed opportunity for sure, and it stings, but I think they can do it.

Coburn and Condra

May 13, 2016
Iowa
Optimism for your evening: 10 of the last 15 playoff Game 7s have been won by the road team. Bolts have also won a Game 7 at Consol in the past 5 years (2011 Quarterfinals).

It's a brand new game, new slate. The stats say home/road doesn't matter very much, and we've played better at Consol than at Amalie this series anyway.

My money's on Kucherov taking this ****ing game over. BELIEVE, you guys!

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Optimism for your evening: 10 of the last 15 playoff Game 7s have been won by the road team. Bolts have also won a Game 7 at Consol in the past 5 years (2011 Quarterfinals).

It's a brand new game, new slate. The stats say home/road doesn't matter very much, and we've played better at Consol than at Amalie this series anyway.

My money's on Kucherov taking this ****ing game over. BELIEVE, you guys!

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad