Speculation: 5/22/19 Sharks Roster Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I don’t know if it’s coincidence or not but the team has looked flat since Simek went down. He was our best and most physical defensive dman over the last few months and a perfect compliment to Burns. I just wish this cursed team could get into the playoffs 100% healthy.... just one f***ing time. That’s all I ask.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don’t know if it’s coincidence or not but the team has looked flat since Simek went down. He was our best and most physical defensive dman over the last few months and a perfect compliment to Burns. I just wish this cursed team could get into the playoffs 100% healthy.... just one ****ing time. That’s all I ask.

Not having Simek's physicality hurts. Specially against a fast fore-checking team like Vegas. Simek would hit them and slow their entries down. Outside of Dillon, there is no other D-man that really does that for the Sharks.

I think the team that goes into the playoffs is going to be a lot different than the one that played yesterday. We should have Pavs and Couture back and potentially EK65 as well.

I think the Sharks have 3 players whose level of play will really factor heavily on the results:

- EK65: Is he actually healthy? Will he be off to a slow start in the playoffs because of his lack of recent play?
- Couture: He has not been good defensively all year long. He has quietly been producing points but his defensive play needs to significantly improve during the playoffs. Will it?
- Jones: Where is his confidence at? Can we count on him to make a big save if the team is playing from behind and taking risks that would generate odd-man rushes and breakaways the other way?

I want to add Haley to the list above too but I still want to believe that PDB won't start him against Vegas. And if he does, I will probably just turn the tv off and follow the GDT here.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Not having Simek's physicality hurts. Specially against a fast fore-checking team like Vegas. Simek would hit them and slow their entries down. Outside of Dillon, there is no other D-man that really does that for the Sharks.

I think the team that goes into the playoffs is going to be a lot different than the one that played yesterday. We should have Pavs and Couture back and potentially EK65 as well.

I think the Sharks have 3 players whose level of play will really factor heavily on the results:

- EK65: Is he actually healthy? Will he be off to a slow start in the playoffs because of his lack of recent play?
- Couture: He has not been good defensively all year long. He has quietly been producing points but his defensive play needs to significantly improve during the playoffs. Will it?
- Jones: Where is his confidence at? Can we count on him to make a big save if the team is playing from behind and taking risks that would generate odd-man rushes and breakaways the other way?

I want to add Haley to the list above too but I still want to believe that PDB won't start him against Vegas. And if he does, I will probably just turn the tv off and follow the GDT here.

Lol. I’ll add in Vlasic to your list as well, if he can regain some form of the old Vlasic that would be huge. Either way, they have a lot to figure out in the next three weeks

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Lol. I’ll add in Vlasic to your list as well, if he can regain some form of the old Vlasic that would be huge. Either way, they have a lot to figure out in the next three weeks

I was thinking Vlasic too, but his play to a point can be attributed to a combination of mental issues and usage. Getting back EK65 on the roster should alleviate part of that.

You pair him up with EK65 or shelter him to lesser competition. Decent coaching can more than make up for, or atleast mask Vlasic's less than stellar play this year. So I guess, I should add coaching to the list above too. Right now, this team is winning on talent alone and is still one of the top teams in the league. With a coach that thinks out of the box and is quick at making adjustments, we would be something else.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
One more point for Meier to become the highest scoring Swiss born player in NHL history.
Can I just ask if there's still anyone here who'd would want that uncoachable one way turnover machine over Meier? Yeah, I mean the one who leads all forwards in giveaways and who not only has less points than Meier but also scores almost twice as many giveways as points:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You guys are just lucky that I don't have time to search for all those ridiculous posts you threw at me over the years:facepalm::deadhorse

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
One more point for Meier to become the highest scoring Swiss born player in NHL history.
Can I just ask if there's still anyone here who'd would want that uncoachable one way turnover machine over Meier? Yeah, I mean the one who leads all forwards in giveaways and who not only has less points than Meier but also scores almost twice as many giveways as points:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You guys are just lucky that I don't have time to search for all those ridiculous posts you threw at me over the years:facepalm::deadhorse

Sven Baertschi? He has 135 while Meier has 101.

Josi? Neiderreiter?

Or do u mean in a single season?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The 2015 draft is crazy strong but looking back now, the only player drafted after Meier I'd take over him is Aho. Timo is special but Aho is unreal. He humiliated McDavid twice this season. I know not many hockey fans would agree but McDavid is part of the problem in Edmonton. He hasn't improved his two way game and that's why Aho was able to dominate him over two entire games. Boeser and Rantanen are pretty good in their own right but I think that Meier has another gear and is the better fit for the Sharks, too. He'd probably be scoring PPG by now if mono and DeBoer didn't hold him back for years.

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’m thinking the team is still flu-ish, add to that multiple injuries and Kane’s tragedy, I think they’re probably a mix of distracted and tired.

Also, man, our goalies...

Having Pavs and (please please please I hope) EK65 back in the lineup will get us back to normal. I hope.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Just investigating the losing streak and one positive is that we have been getting the moral victories by various margins at even strength and when adjusted for score and venue. So ideally we still have a competitive team that has been obscenely unfortunate lately.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
There's a real chance that if Pavs and Karlsson don't re-sign that the Sharks will really regret trading their first round pick.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Off topic: So last night after the game ended my gf, who is travelling in Taiwan, released a lantern into the sky that wished for a shark's cup. So if they do it you all can send her your money. :naughty:

Two hours later the latern descended into a tire storage facility and ignited a massive fire covering the island in smoke and darkness.

The residents are day-to-day.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Off topic: So last night after the game ended my gf, who is travelling in Taiwan, released a lantern into the sky that wished for a shark's cup. So if they do it you all can send her your money. :naughty:
I wish I was still there... Just got back a few days ago. Send me all your money so I can go back and release my own lantern. :laugh:

And FWIW, the lantern festival was like a month ago. I was in Taipei for it. Cool experience.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Wait, i was just in Taiwan all last week. Did me not releasing a lantern into the sky wishing for a shark's cup counteract her lantern wish?

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I wouldn't hate seeing these lines for a game or two...

Meier-Hertl-Couture
Kane-Pavs-Nyquist
Sorenson-Thornton-Labanc
Melker-Goodrow-Donskoi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad