GDT: 5/20/21 - 6:30PM EDT - #2CD Florida vs #3CD Tampa Bay [CDSF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Vasy let in a couple softies. Other than that, the defense and team defense as a unit needs to be better. Too much respect at the blue line... way too much respect. They get it against Sergachev and Savard, and they are at the tops of the circles before anyone contests them. It's awful to watch.

Rutta and Savard are just woeful out there. Sergachev was mediocre at best. McD was great, Cernak ok, and Hedman meh. Too many unforced errors and unchallenged entries. Game 2 was not like this.

Still in control of the series. The biggest takeaway is the goalie issue swung back to the middle, possibly leaning towards Vasy. Bob starts next game. Our defense and Vasy have to be much better. Scoring 5 goals and losing (first time a team scored 5 in one period and lost in playoff history btw...) is unacceptable.

Agree with pretty much everything you said except that Tampa isn’t in the record books for scoring 5 in one period and losing. The North Stars did it twice, once in the mid 80’s and vs Chicago in ‘o1 or ‘92.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Agree with pretty much everything you said except that Tampa isn’t in the record books for scoring 5 in one period and losing. The North Stars did it twice, once in the mid 80’s and vs Chicago in ‘o1 or ‘92.
I stand corrected. I misheard Boucher then, which is no surprise given he's wrong multiple times a night and I can't stomach him. Well, good, at least we aren't alone . Lol.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Disappointing outcome but I didn’t expect the cats to just roll over when down 0-2 in the series. Vasi needs to get his shit together, Palat needs to be a big boy and our defense needs to be better. We have to find an answer to Huberdeau and make him Huberdon’t. Heh.

Go back to 11/7, put Schenn in there. D coverage was an issue, let’s shave some TOIs. At least the monkey is off Cirelli’s back and Coltron scored so there is some positive.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Of course not getting our regular seats means I had to be right behind the net watching the game winning goal.

Obnoxious.

Hedman being hurt sucks.
Joseph is worthless, I'd rather have the extra D man.
I've been impressed with Colton this season and tonight was another good game. He was so close to getting the winning goal, and the goal he scored was nice.
Cernak was super physical and I appreciate that.
Savard makes me angry. I still am not sure what he brings other than being slow, no shot, and a liability?
Glad to see Cirelli get a goal and hope that's a sign of things to come. We need people not named Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point to be a threat.
That first line power play is an all star team. Right after I commented on it last night they scored. Wish they could have finished it beginning of OT, I thought we had it.

We're not getting the sweep, which is kind of a bummer, but thinking this was just a minor bump. We'll be back tomorrow and confident we'll get a win.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
For sure this version of Savard is not worth a new contract. I'd rather to resign Schenn than to spend 5M of our cap to have him back.
Also because the Goodrow-Coleman-Gourde line should be our priority this summer, and we have to resign 2 of them.
Is Hedman hurt? I don't know. I don't know if the news come out about a possible surgery in the post season is true. Of course I hope he's just playing bad.
Btw, if we want to win the Cup again, we need the Heddy prime version. Otherwise, it's a big problem.

On to game 4. A must win game. We have to respond to that shitty 3rd period.
Going 3-1 in the series would be huge.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Of course not getting our regular seats means I had to be right behind the net watching the game winning goal.

Obnoxious.

Hedman being hurt sucks.
Joseph is worthless, I'd rather have the extra D man.
I've been impressed with Colton this season and tonight was another good game. He was so close to getting the winning goal, and the goal he scored was nice.
Cernak was super physical and I appreciate that.
Savard makes me angry. I still am not sure what he brings other than being slow, no shot, and a liability?
Glad to see Cirelli get a goal and hope that's a sign of things to come. We need people not named Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point to be a threat.
That first line power play is an all star team. Right after I commented on it last night they scored. Wish they could have finished it beginning of OT, I thought we had it.

We're not getting the sweep, which is kind of a bummer, but thinking this was just a minor bump. We'll be back tomorrow and confident we'll get a win.
Agree with this and would point out that we need Playoff Palat right now. Joseph should not be in the line-up he is a turnover machine and is terrible along the boards heck Smith can at least win board battles. Colton deserves a chance to center that 2nd line one goal does not diminish how rotten Cirelli's game has been all year or for that matter the last half of last season too. This team has all the firepower it needs the lack of depth on the D side has been something I have preached since the start of the season. While Savard is not the fastest he does make good decisions and while I have always loathed Schenn he played well this year and should be in the line-up. Heddy being hurt sucks but you have to play the guy unless he can't go. we will get by Florida then a battle with Carolina then the games will become easier. Florida and Carolina are good teams but this team is able to beat them.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I remember the night after the Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 Loss, with the Perry OT goal...after the Pavelski goal who tied the game a couple of minutes before the final horn.
I remember, in particular, the reaction the team had...and what kind of game 6 we played.
We simply need to do the same on Saturday.
BUT

1. We had a very healthy, hungry Heddy - whatever is wrong with him eradicates healthy, he's still hungry
2. We had a very healthy, hungry and angry Kuch - he is all that now
3. We had better D - Shatty - despite his gaffs? I'd take him back; hopefully, he is really enjoying his offseason in LA ;)
4. We had a better form of Vasy - wth is wrong with him? How is that the Cats are able to clean his clock? Two of those goals were poop; Vezina Vasy doesn't let them in; cat-bit Vasy... did

We'll win Sat, close out in at BB&T but gosh darn golly, that was a collapse of hunger last night; hubris entered in:ha:

Reactions: StaySalty

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
BUT

1. We had a very healthy, hungry Heddy - whatever is wrong with him eradicates healthy, he's still hungry
2. We had a very healthy, hungry and angry Kuch - he is all that now
3. We had better D - Shatty - despite his gaffs? I'd take him back; hopefully, he is really enjoying his offseason in LA ;)
4. We had a better form of Vasy - wth is wrong with him? How is that the Cats are able to clean his clock? Two of those goals were poop; Vezina Vasy doesn't let them in; cat-bit Vasy... did

We'll win Sat, close out in at BB&T but gosh darn golly, that was a collapse of hunger last night; hubris entered in:ha:
1) I noticed that Heddy is not playing at his best. I read the news come out from Canada of a possible surgery for him during the post season. It's only a speculation of course, but we desperately need him if we want to win again. He's still hungry, that's for sure, but what about his health status?
2) We're like last year.
3) Sorry but I don't like Savard, so far. He's really slow and I think he's not playing well with his big body. Gourde hits more times than Savard... Shatty and also Bogo were 2 great adds last year and I really miss them. For this reason, I'll resign Schenn instead of pay like 5M AAV for Savard.
4) I want to think that Vasy is playing not his best hockey also because the defense in front of him is dealing with many problems on the ice. We need to improve our hockey in our third. It's the key to succeed in the post season.

5) We'll win Saturday. Maybe yes, but I'm doubtful about it.

Reactions: PJ817

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I don’t give a shit if we scored 5 goals in a period. We got our asses completely handed to us for the other 40+ minutes. That’s the bigger takeaway.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
1) I noticed that Heddy is not playing at his best. I read the news come out from Canada of a possible surgery for him during the post season. It's only a speculation of course, but we desperately need him if we want to win again. He's still hungry, that's for sure, but what about his health status?
2) We're like last year.
3) Sorry but I don't like Savard, so far. He's really slow and I think he's not playing well with his big body. Gourde hits more times than Savard... Shatty and also Bogo were 2 great adds last year and I really miss them. For this reason, I'll resign Schenn instead of pay like 5M AAV for Savard.
4) I want to think that Vasy is playing not his best hockey also because the defense in front of him is dealing with many problems on the ice. We need to improve our hockey in our third. It's the key to succeed in the post season.

5) We'll win Saturday. Maybe yes, but I'm doubtful about it.
I believe this is true as on the broadcast last night Brian Engblom mentioned the news coming out about Hedman needing surgery in the offseason, gotta imagine there's some truth to it if Engblom mentioned it.

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
no more joseph. Savard is just bad. Maroon also bad. When is goodrow coming back? Johnson is actually not doing that bad in his limited minutes. Celery scored! Bad loss, but that was the worst the lightning have played since columbus sweep, and we went to OT after scoring 5 goals. I don't expect to see that type of performance again from vassi or hedman. I am going to pretend I didn't see that OT goal and move on to the next game with high expectations.

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I believe this is true as on the broadcast last night Brian Engblom mentioned the news coming out about Hedman needing surgery in the offseason, gotta imagine there's some truth to it if Engblom mentioned it.
If the news is true and Heddy is really injured, our chance to win are not so high...
We can play with 7 dmen in case...to give Heddy less ice time and so to avoid worse things, injury related....

Reactions: PJ817

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
If the news is true and Heddy is really injured, our chance to win are not so high...
We can play with 7 dmen in case...to give Heddy less ice time and so to avoid worse things, injury related....
that's kind of my question;

why did Coop play 6 D when obviously, Heddy is not himself... give the warrior his break and let the other guys step up to the plate and WIN ... 12/6 isn't going to work v. Q + injured Heddy

EDITED:

I found this clip where they talk about him hitting the boards awkwardly v. CBJ - torn labrum? or hernia?

Lightning Round: Victor Hedman’s injury reportedly will require surgery in the offseason

Reactions: Fabiobest

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
It's already been said already by others but Sergachev needs to step it up as well, he had a couple of great chances in the offensive zone but we all know he can play a much better game on both ends of the ice

Reactions: Fabiobest

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
that's kind of my question;

why did Coop play 6 D when obviously, Heddy is not himself... give the warrior his break and let the other guys step up to the plate and WIN ... 12/6 isn't going to work v. Q + injured Heddy

EDITED:

I found this clip where they talk about him hitting the boards awkwardly v. CBJ - torn labrum? or hernia?

Lightning Round: Victor Hedman’s injury reportedly will require surgery in the offseason
I don't know the reason why Coop decided to play with 6 dmen...but in case I did not agree with him.
Also because I really like Luke Schenn and I 'd want to see him on the ice...
Btw if it's an hernia, he won't arrive at the end of this playoffs, also in case we'll reach the Finals...

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I don't know the reason why Coop decided to play with 6 dmen...but in case I did not agree with him.
Also because I really like Luke Schenn and I 'd want to see him on the ice...
Btw if it's an hernia, he won't arrive at the end of this playoffs, also in case we'll reach the Finals...
With home ice he likely thought 12 forwards gives us more options to dictate the pace. Who would’ve thought that 2/3 D pairings were going to play like ass and his 12th forward didn’t add anything.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Couldn't help but be reminded how similar in many ways the OT goal last night was to the OT goal Barzal scored last year. Two OT losses in the playoffs that came directly from offensive zone faceoffs. Pretty hard to justify.

Reactions: J T Money and Hoek

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not a good 3rd period by our guys, normally we close those games out. Give credit to fl to keep pushing for their lives because going down 3-0 to us means your pretty much done. Don't think anyone here would be shocked if we went back to fl tied. I think we should still win this series but fl is scary.

Reactions: U55

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Tomorrow's lines if I had any say

The HF-TBL Coach's Lines

Gourde - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Cirelli - Stamkos
Killorn/Maroon - Colton - Coleman/Johnson

McDonagh - Rutta
Hedman - Cernak