GDT: 5/20/21 - 6:30PM EDT - #2CD Florida vs #3CD Tampa Bay [CDSF GAME 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I think they’ll figure it out. Bounce back. We can’t collapse that hard again. I’ll still take the Lightning’s offense over the panthers defense any day of the week.

a healthy Hedman would go a long way too.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Well, these boys better be glad I'm not the coach of this Club. I woulda met them right at the runway "Nope! Turn your asses right back around! Meet me at center... school circle!" Jeff, bring me some trash cans!"
Wish we Torts to yell at these boys to get their heads out of their asses

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
You think CV hasn't been getting in dirty areas? Why do you think Florida is always deep in our zone when he's on the ice and he's always in the middle of something? Guys aren't getting his face because he's playing the perimeter. He's certainly been a better player than Palat has been this series.
No, I said Gusev, but I do believe that both are very 1 dimensional, but something that works very well for Florida. Probably the reason they picked him up from NJ while others turned away. I didn't care for CV when he was here, and that's well documented here, not just because he did well in Florida after he left. And I'm not really impressed with his 18 goals playing on the top pp and top line next to Barkov. Joseph had 12 playing mostly on the 4th line and he's a much better 2 way player than CV. Just think what's he'd look like if he left and Verhaeghe stayed.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
No, I said Gusev, but I do believe that both are very 1 dimensional, but something that works very well for Florida. Probably the reason they picked him up from NJ. I didn't care for CV when he was here, and that's well documented here, not just because he did well in Florida after he left. And I'm not really impressed with his 18 goals playing on the top pp and top line next to Barkov. Joseph had 12 playing mostly on the 4th line and he's a much better 2 way player than CV. Just think what's he'd look like if he left and Verhaeghe stayed.

Clap.gif

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No, I said Gusev, but I do believe that both are very 1 dimensional, something that works very well for Florida. I didn't care for CV when he was here, and that's well documented here, not just because he did well in Florida after he left. And I'm not really impressed with his 18 goals playing on the top pp and top line next to Barkov. Joseph had 12 playing mostly on the 4th line and he's a much better 2 way player than CV. Just think what's he'd look like if he left and Verhaeghe stayed.

18 goals..... and 36 points in 43 games. I mean if you think he's getting carried by Barkov and tapping in empty nets then sure. I don't know what makes you think any 4th liner can just produce when slotted on the 1st line especially when that involves going against harder competition, there's not a single player in the league that can double Joseph's production, he's just not good enough, that' s like saying JT Brown could've scored 20 goals if we just put him with Kucherov.

Palat only has 15 goals while stapled next to Point and #1 PP minutes is Joseph better than Palat too? How is Joseph a much better 2 way player? Cause he skates fast? He makes a ton of defensive mistakes and is heavily sheltered in his usage. Neither the eye test nor the numbers say he's a good defensive player, I wouldn't say CV is either but at least he drives a ton of offense.

Last edited:

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Look, the Lightning didn’t believe in Verhagee enough to make room for him. It was a mistake and now he’s helping break Vassy

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or mocking me :laugh:
18 goals..... and 36 points in 43 games. I mean if you think he's getting carried by Barkov and tapping in empty nets then sure. I don't know what makes you think any 4th liner can just produce when slotted on the 1st line especially when that involves going against harder competition, there's not a single player in the league that can double Joseph's production, he's just not good enough.

By your same logic, Palat only has 15 goals while stapled next to Point and #1 PP minutes is Joseph better than Palat too?
Not necessarily carried. He put up big points in the AHL, so we all knew he had offensive skills. But he also only had 9 goals, 13 points in 53 games last year playing pretty much the same ice time, special teams opportunities, line mates, that Joseph did this season. Swap the 2 and maybe Joseph comes out with less production, but maybe he makes up for it else where. Kudos to Florida for the way they're using him and getting the most out of him. I would have loved to seen us try the same thing with Volkov in all hopes of squeezing every ounce of good hockey he had left in him, before he was traded. But we finished top 10 this season in scoring without Kucherov and Stammer missing a 1/3 of the season. My main point I guess was we don't need Verhaeghe's goals. Even in this game, we scored 5 and that should have been enough. So if you take away the offense, what else can you bring, and for CV, I'm not sure. That was pretty much I question I asked a lot last season when he wasn't getting on the score board. We don't really ask those questions to guys like Joseph and Colton.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
There is losing and then there is LOSING.

A two goal lead with 20 minutes left go to up 3-0 in a series and that’s how you decide to play? Everybody on earth saw that 5th goal coming. I said I would never bad mouth Cooper again after winning the Cup, but if that period is the start of a colossal series choke...

Reactions: PJ817

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I remember the night after the Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 Loss, with the Perry OT goal...after the Pavelski goal who tied the game a couple of minutes before the final horn.
I remember, in particular, the reaction the team had...and what kind of game 6 we played.
We simply need to do the same on Saturday.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I'm in full agreement.
That's what I was going with in my head haha
I remember the night after the Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 Loss, with the Perry OT goal...after the Pavelski goal who tied the game a couple of minutes before the final horn.
I remember, in particular, the reaction the team had...and what kind of game 6 we played.
We simply need to do the same on Saturday.
I strangely remember being ok after that loss because I thought we were playing the right way, which was the complete opposite of how I felt after the NYI OT loss.

Hopefully the right Lightning team shows up for game 4.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or mocking me :laugh:

Not necessarily carried. He put up big points in the AHL, so we all knew he had offensive skills. But he also only had 9 goals, 13 points in 53 games last year playing pretty much the same ice time, special teams opportunities, line mates, that Joseph did this season. Swap the 2 and maybe Joseph comes out with less production, but maybe he makes up for it else where. Kudos to Florida for the way they're using him and getting the most out of him. I would have loved to seen us try the same thing with Volkov in all hopes of squeezing every ounce of good hockey he had left in him, before he was traded. But we finished top 10 this season in scoring without Kucherov and Stammer missing a 1/3 of the season. My main point I guess was we don't need Verhaeghe's goals. Even in this game, we scored 5 and that should have been enough. So if you take away the offense, what else can you bring, and for CV, I'm not sure. That was pretty much I question I asked a lot last season when he wasn't getting on the score board. We don't really ask those questions to guys like Joseph and Colton.

I don't wanna derail too much on CV since he's a a different team now but Joseph is isn't exactly good defensively either.... nothing points to that in regards to eyetest or numbers? He makes lots of defensive mistakes, it's not like he's trusted in defensive situations either, his usage is heavily sheltered, and his NZ turnovers are cause for why his line pinned a lot as well. Colton is much better.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
That's what I was going with in my head haha

I strangely remember being ok after that loss because I thought we were playing the right way, which was the complete opposite of how I felt after the NYI OT loss.

Hopefully the right Lightning team shows up for game 4.
I felt in the worst way possible, after the G5 loss...I said, 3000 times that G6 was a do or die game...and also in the sixth game I didn't like our chances.
Meanwhile, the team regrouped and played an absurdly perfect game, to clinch the Cup.
Saturday we need a strong game. We can do it and we have to do it.
Because otherwise, we'll have a series for real and I don't want to give the Panthers a chance for an epic comeback.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
They played this game like it were 2019.

Need to get back to what worked - solid team defense just like 2020.

Injuries and personnel changes don’t matter anymore, just have to get it done.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Our team defenseman are absolutely horrible compared to last year in the playoffs

It's a combination of that and our forwards standing around in the defensive zone with their thumbs up their asses. Everyone on this team has cement boots all of a sudden.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Vasy let in a couple softies. Other than that, the defense and team defense as a unit needs to be better. Too much respect at the blue line... way too much respect. They get it against Sergachev and Savard, and they are at the tops of the circles before anyone contests them. It's awful to watch.

Rutta and Savard are just woeful out there. Sergachev was mediocre at best. McD was great, Cernak ok, and Hedman meh. Too many unforced errors and unchallenged entries. Game 2 was not like this.

Still in control of the series. The biggest takeaway is the goalie issue swung back to the middle, possibly leaning towards Vasy. Bob starts next game. Our defense and Vasy have to be much better. Scoring 5 goals and losing (first time a team scored 5 in one period and lost in playoff history btw...) is unacceptable.

Reactions: LightningStrikes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad