[5-2 WIN] Derek, Reviver Of Yak. Oilers Reach 10 Wins.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Heres my take.

Really unhealthy player dynamic, scapegoating, pointing fingers, blaming, being negative towards each other and cutting others down existed under Eakins (we know it did) But Nelson is instilling different words and actions here. Wouldn't surprise me that Nelson has already called out some stuff that was occurring here.

Under Eakins I would wonder because Eakins was fine with douchebaggery. Maybe even Hall was adversely impacted by that. We know yak was.

Hall has been very frustrated with Yak in the past on occasion. That is fair. But it wasn't helping anybody. I would bet that Hall recognizes that by now with Nelson in charge. If for some reason he doesn't we got a problem.

Heres another take. Hall is just now realizing these past few games how wrong he was about Eakins and everything and has a hard time smiling because he now knows that with a proper coach from the outset that this club could compete. A year ago I'll tell you that Gagner used to sit on the bench with the same expression Which was very inconsistent with the usually smiling Gagner. He was a canary too. Eakins actually managed to make Gagner quit. Was surprised by that actually. Connected is that Yak made it pretty clear last year the org was a clownshow and did the most any player ever could to bring it to light without getting fired. In his head Hall would know he defended an idiot and that Yak did not and that Yak was right all along. Think about it.

For what it's worth (probably worth nothing according to most here), I saw what I saw (I think). Hall is one of my favorite players. I wouldn't have mentioned it to throw Hall under the bus.....at all.

It was something I just picked up after it was 4-2 and Hallsy was on the bench.

To me it looked like he was glaring through, of all people, Nuge or Eberle.

Maybe Nelson gave him **** for staying on the ice for too long..I don't know. That's why I'de really like another look at what I thought I saw.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh great, the "Hall hates Yak" truthers in full effect.

Not at all. More like Eakins had issue iwth Yak and made that OK as an acceptable dynamic. Nothing really to do with Hall who being young is just impressionable.

( if your responding to my post)

Eakins was in a position of responsibility here and he scapegoated a rook. Repeatedly. A rook with enough balls that he called his agent and had a summit about it.

A year later Yak looks like a genius in all of this. Very much how Souray singled out the org and then was **** on the rest of the time until they told him to get lost. When Souray had been right all along.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
For what it's worth (probably worth nothing according to most here), I saw what I saw (I think). Hall is one of my favorite players. I wouldn't have mentioned it to throw Hall under the bus.....at all.

Maybe Nelson gave him **** for staying on the ice for too long..I don't know. That's why I'de really like another look at what I thought I saw.

No I hear what you're saying. I'm just saying that the only reason any of us are ever commenting on player dislike being emulated to this player or that is that Eakins was a little man clown that didn't mind instilling favoritism, scapegoating. etc. Eakins was only ever about meritocracy in his own words. His actions were scapegoating players like Yak and Smyth that didn't fit in. he targeted these guys because it was the easiest thing to do while pretending to address accountability.

When an org is unhealthy, and run in an unhealthy manner employees can start to take part in unhealthy dynamic.

I have to say given all that that guys like Nuge should be promoted to sainthood. He's walked through this mess and not got his feet dirty in anyway. Pretty great human being there. :handclap:

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
This was an enjoyable thread to read for the first few pages. Now we're just over-analyzing things. It hurts my head.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
All the analysis and scrutinizing of every detail will go away with a continuance of wins and some success under Nelson.

Under Eakins I don't think it's an exaggeration that everything had fallen apart... between the coach and players... between the players themselves.. fans wanted blood from management, coaches, players.

It was obviously a case where a fresh face behind the bench and a new start was needed just to hit the reset button on the whole mess.

It's just too bad it took MacT so damn long to realize that.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

He is a competitive guy and his line while playing alright didn't really add to the victory. Poster's (not saying you, Dorian) make too much from some of this crap. You take any team in the league and have them struggle badly for a stretch of games and slowly stories of dissension in the ranks start to come out. And then the fans start to speculate who the rotten the rotten apples are. Eakins at the end did little to stop the flames from being fanned, I truly believe he had given up. So I put a lot of this seasons failures on coaching alone, I don't get the Hall vs Yak, Eb vs Yak stuff. It seems to me like the fans who emphatically like Yak feel obliged to just as emphatically dislike Hall. I think the Oilers need both players to succeed and having any secondary scoring or chemistry right now with help the Oilers dramatically.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
He is a competitive guy and his line while playing alright didn't really add to the victory. Poster's (not saying you, Dorian) make too much from some of this crap. You take any team in the league and have them struggle badly for a stretch of games and slowly stories of dissension in the ranks start to come out. And then the fans start to speculate who the rotten the rotten apples are. Eakins at the end did little to stop the flames from being fanned, I truly believe he had given up. So I put a lot of this seasons failures on coaching alone, I don't get the Hall vs Yak, Eb vs Yak stuff. It seems to me like the fans who emphatically like Yak feel obliged to just as emphatically dislike Hall. I think the Oilers need both players to succeed and having any secondary scoring or chemistry right now with help the Oilers dramatically.

I can see that your thinking is along the same lines as my own.

The post I made earlier was the first time I really said anything about the situation. Maybe a little bit here and there, but mainly conjecture based.

That's why I thought I'd post that. I "think" I saw it with my own eyes.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like Yak... and I like Hall... neither are playing up to their potential right now obviously.

I don't know if they dislike each other and really it doesn't matter if the on ice performance is there... it's only when things go to hell in a hand basket like this year when we start to question every second of reactions after goals etc.

I'm sure we can pull up a lot of Zapruder film footage of moments when various members of the roster have looked off others with passes or not high-fived quite high enough after a goal.

It's all crap if they start scoring and winning obviously. Plenty of players don't get along like best friends and still perform well on the ice together.

In fact I think if there is some friction there between Hall and Yak... having them on the same line knowing they are both driven, competitive players would be a good option... they push each other and teams would have a difficult time with that combo if they got rolling.

Hall and Yak on the same line for an extended period with a vet C between them has really never been tried. I think that line would work well.

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle are a solid combo as well and we know they have some chemistry together.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's just like any job. If you hate your boss then you're not going to perform as good as you normally would. When you have a good boss then you will perform better. I've had many jobs where I couldn't stand the boss and didn't give a **** about what happened. When I've had good bosses then I would actually care more because I didn't want to let him down.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If the Oilers 'had to' hire a rookie coach (again), I'm glad they promoted Nelson.

The team seems to respect him way more than they ever did Eakins (and rightfully so).

I'm also happy to say that it appears I was wrong about Roy - early for sure, but he already looks like the team's best 2nd line C in who knows how long - I still think the team should have held onto Perron for a few more weeks to see if he could pick up his game under a coach that isn't the walking definition of dumpster fire.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
It's just like any job. If you hate your boss then you're not going to perform as good as you normally would. When you have a good boss then you will perform better. I've had many jobs where I couldn't stand the boss and didn't give a **** about what happened. When I've had good bosses then I would actually care more because I didn't want to let him down.

I keep trying to make this point when people are up in arms about Hall or Eberle Not giving a hundred and ten in the middle of a multi game losing streak where their coach constantly gave them **** training, guidance, and in ice decisions ensuring a chance to lose every single night. Those boys have a breaking point like anyone else, in any other job.

Now we just should hope they come back from that level of jadedness that I can hardly imagine that many on our team must have felt.

Like, how numb to the joys of hockey they must be right now but some srious winning could get them back.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's hard to motivate yourself to block a Shea Weber slapshot when you're in an 11 game losing streak, and out of the playoffs by November.

It's hard to bare down and take a hit to make a play when your team has never really came from behind all season, and they're down by 2 goals.

It's hard to motivate yourself to take physical abuse in front of the goalie when your team won't stick up for you, you're coach and GM are proven idiots, and the fans are booing you off the ice.

:/

Despite what many of you think about being professionals and being millionaires, "Morale" is a REAL thing that does exist, and will affect performance.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It's hard to motivate yourself to block a Shea Weber slapshot when you're in an 11 game losing streak, and out of the playoffs by November.

It's hard to bare down and take a hit to make a play when your team has never really came from behind all season, and they're down by 2 goals.

It's hard to motivate yourself to take physical abuse in front of the goalie when your team won't stick up for you, you're coach and GM are proven idiots, and the fans are booing you off the ice.

:/

Despite what many of you think about being professionals and being millionaires, "Morale" is a REAL thing that does exist, and will affect performance.

You make a very valid point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad