GDT: 5/2/22 - 7:30PM EDT - #3 Tampa Bay @ #2 Toronto [ECQF GAME 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
4.66-1.38 xG. Woof. The Leafs were above our xG for the entire game from the Muzzin goal-onward. And that jives...I can't think of a single dangerous chance 5v5 all night the Lightning had and the power play ended up giving up more to the Leafs short-handed than it gave for us at all.
Yep, although I'd say the Paul chance in the first period on open net was dangerous.

Toronto was a little lucky with all the shot blocks they got just outside the paint. That much traffic can easily work against you on D.

But of course I'm just talking a 4-1, 4-2 loss at best. We weren't quite 5-0 bad, but it hardly matters. (And re-reading you, I guess the xG lines up with the eye test.)

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Does the team wakeup and respond in Game 2?
I'd like to think so and I want to be optimistic, but I knew losing the gourde line was going to be the end for us. I just don't think we have anything to replace those guys. They brought an x factor that these knew faces don't bring. Their style didn't always show up on the stat sheet, but it showed up when it mattered the most. Right now we can't even figure out what lines we want to play with. I don't think this team has the energy or the tenacity to win it this year. We may beat the leafs, but who cares if we just lose in a later round anyway. Might as well lose soon and get some rest. Hockey is a tough sport and there is a reason teams don't 3peat very often.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I'd like to think so and I want to be optimistic, but I knew losing the gourde line was going to be the end for us. I just don't think we have anything to replace those guys. They brought an x factor that these knew faces don't bring. Their style didn't always show up on the stat sheet, but it showed up when it mattered the most. Right now we can't even figure out what lines we want to play with. I don't think this team has the energy or the tenacity to win it this year. We may beat the leafs, but who cares if we just lose in a later round anyway. Might as well lose soon and get some rest. Hockey is a tough sport and there is a reason teams don't 3peat very often.

Man, I was expecting a lot more terrible takes like this when I logged on after that mess. Most here actually seem appropriately pissed (although I've only read the last few pages, not all 40) so thanks for proving me not *entirely* wrong.

"Waaaah, we should just quit because even if we win this round we're just gonna lose later anyway." Haaahahahahahahhh, thanks for that.

Reactions: U55

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Not sure what the Gourde line would've changed. They didn't play PP so that 5 min abortion still would've happened. Maybe that first goal doesnt happen? But then we allow a 5 on 3 and a shorthanded goal, the 4th line probably still gets scored on and then it's still a blowout loss

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Man, I was expecting a lot more terrible takes like this when I logged on after that mess. Most here actually seem appropriately pissed (although I've only read the last few pages, not all 40) so thanks for proving me not *entirely* wrong.

"Waaaah, we should just quit because even if we win this round we're just gonna lose later anyway." Haaahahahahahahhh, thanks for that.
no problem. I am just being realistic. I watched them play this season, and they are not playing well at all.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
We always play bad to start a series so game 2 is the important one. 0-2 hole and it's basically over, not because Toronto is better, they aren't, but this team is exhausted and has been for months. As has been mentioned numerous times now, we also don't have the depth we did the past two years. We really need regular season Stamkos to show up, if we get playoff Stamkos this team is getting swept.

Reactions: The Gongshow

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Turns out it would've been a moot point because Carolina opened up tonight as well so it was gonna happen whether we finished in 3rd place or 4th place, but playing five games in seven days to end the season then only getting two days off before traveling to begin the playoffs definitely isn't what the doctor ordered. That extra off day would've been nice.

Reactions: Hoek

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Not sure what the Gourde line would've changed. They didn't play PP so that 5 min abortion still would've happened. Maybe that first goal doesnt happen? But then we allow a 5 on 3 and a shorthanded goal, the 4th line probably still gets scored on and then it's still a blowout loss
Easy answer: nothing.

When your superstars...every single one, had a terrible night, it's not Gourde, Coleman or Goodrow that are able to avoid a 5-0 L (5-0 that could have been 7/8-0).
Post automatically merged:

We always play bad to start a series so game 2 is the important one. 0-2 hole and it's basically over, not because Toronto is better, they aren't, but this team is exhausted and has been for months. As has been mentioned numerous times now, we also don't have the depth we did the past two years. We really need regular season Stamkos to show up, if we get playoff Stamkos this team is getting swept.
I'm scared by the fact your point can be solid and true.
We've played a lot of hockey in the past 2 season. Considering also the bubbles situation, we're really tested, both in our bodies and in our minds.
So, in case we lose this series, a complete off season, with some trades can be a good thing for us.

Reactions: DMB06 and Hoek

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
it's not about this one game. It's about the effort this whole season. They no longer have that line to set the tone. They were really more like a second line than a third line in the playoffs. This effort tonight shouldn't even be surprising to anyone. This is how the lightning have played a good portion of the 2nd half of the season. I hope I am wrong. I just am not seeing a turn around this year from this team.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Neither the French Connection nor the GAG (Goal A Game) line would have helped the Lightning tonight. This was the type of butt kicking the Lightning have been doing the the rest of the league during the previous two post season runs.
Not sure how the team is going to reply but Toronto made it clear they were going to come out physical and they dang sure did. The Clown Show of Clifford and Simmonds played their roles perfectly, and Simmonds refusing Maroon and Perry late and instead going with Hedman shows one area the organization has to address in the off season. No, Maroon is NOT the answer. There is no one in the system so help for that must be brought in from outside.

Reactions: Stammertime91

bov

Nov 13, 2010
We looked good for the first 30 seconds. Then it all went to shit. Their PK really got momentum on their side, and when we got slapped around on that 5 min major, I knew we were toast. Nothing about the result surprised me. Toronto deserves the win by a f***ing mile.

Not that any of the following things would've made the difference, but:

Why the line blender? I get Palat-Stamkos-Kucherov and the School Bus line but the middle 6, if I'm not mistaken, has basically never looked like that.

Foote actually was decent enough in limited time but I was surprised he got the nod over Bogo. Wouldn't hate a swap in game 2.

We need to make them pay. I thought we played a soft game on their stars, and you have to find a way to punish those guys. We backed in anytime the Leafs had the puck in the O-zone, and they wheeled around freely. Push the envelope and get nasty.

Hated the amount of penalties called too. Both sides got screwed at times, I really hope this doesn't take center stage as the series goes on. Let them play hockey and fight through some things.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I picked the Leafs to win in 7 before the series and I’d be shocked if they don’t win in 6. Any Lightning fan thats watched the season and thought otherwise was fooling themselves.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
it's not about this one game. It's about the effort this whole season. They no longer have that line to set the tone. They were really more like a second line than a third line in the playoffs. This effort tonight shouldn't even be surprising to anyone. This is how the lightning have played a good portion of the 2nd half of the season. I hope I am wrong. I just am not seeing a turn around this year from this team.
Exactly. People forget and simply call it the 3rd line.. it was more like 2B. They played almost the same minutes per game and had key penalty killers on that line. Now, our actual top 6 guys are having to kill penalties and they aren't even as good as them.

Hagel is straight up bland. In the 20 games the guy has straight line speed but nothing else. Does f*** all. Plant his ass on the 3rd and make him a hound. That should've been the focus since their arrival. Instead we tried stuff we didn't even stick with for more than a period and it did shit for us.

Cooper is overthinking this. Assignments are key and with preparation Paul, Cirelli and Hagel could have formed a great shutdown line or at least resemble a 2B solution. As it stands, we got some weird ass interchanging lines with NO shutdown center and NO wingers to help.

There's so many negatives from this game.

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Exactly. People forget and simply call it the 3rd line.. it was more like 2B. They played almost the same minutes per game and had key penalty killers on that line. Now, our actual top 6 guys are having to kill penalties and they aren't even as good as them.

Hagel is straight up bland. In the 20 games the guy has straight line speed but nothing else. Does f*** all. Plant his ass on the 3rd and make him a hound. That should've been the focus since their arrival. Instead we tried stuff we didn't even stick with for more than a period and it did shit for us.

Cooper is overthinking this. Assignments are key and with preparation Paul, Cirelli and Hagel could have formed a great shutdown line or at least resemble a 2B solution. As it stands, we got some weird ass interchanging lines with NO shutdown center and NO wingers to help.

There's so many negatives from this game.
They were puck hounds. They might not have scored a lot of goals but they kept the puck in the other zone and got after it against the boards, they made the opposing D men tired and created longer shifts in the offensive zone. Intangibles like that are what wins playoff games. We didn't win shit before them so I don't understand how people can't see they were HUGE to our success. If we got bitch slapped they came in and roughed up the other team and got things dirty. Brought tons of energy and threw the other team off their game. We still have a very good team, but it's just not the same.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
They were puck hounds. They might not have scored a lot of goals but they kept the puck in the other zone and got after it against the boards, they made the opposing D men tired and created longer shifts in the offensive zone. Intangibles like that are what wins playoff games. We didn't win shit before them so I don't understand how people can't see they were HUGE to our success. If we got bitch slapped they came in and roughed up the other team and got things dirty. Brought tons of energy and threw the other team off their game. We still have a very good team, but it's just not the same.
Agreed. Pens lost their 3rd line and we see where they went. Of course other factors like goaltending and injuries didn't help. But, point stands... the gourde line was huge for us. We had no pressure on them tonight. No forecheck. That stuff matters. As it stands, we look like 2019 lightning this year where offense wins games and when we get blasted team defense goes out the window. Well, tonight was one of those nights.

We've struggled all year defensively as a team. Poor coverage on a couple goals tonight. Just flat out disjointed play.

Brisebois did his part. Cooper needs to do his here.

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Agreed. Pens lost their 3rd line and we see where they went. Of course other factors like goaltending and injuries didn't help. But, point stands... the gourde line was huge for us. We had no pressure on them tonight. No forecheck. That stuff matters. As it stands, we look like 2019 lightning this year where offense wins games and when we get blasted team defense goes out the window. Well, tonight was one of those nights.

We've struggled all year defensively as a team. Poor coverage on a couple goals tonight. Just flat out disjointed play.

Brisebois did his part. Cooper needs to do his here.
Yeah we turn it over and leave vasi out to dry. We are lucky the leafs didn't score more. Lazy passing and they refuse to change how they enter the zone on the PP or how they exit their own zone. It's just predictable and confusing to watch sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad