GDT: 5/16/16 - 8:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #2 Pittsburgh [ECF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I felt like Johnson had a terrible game tonight, myself. Everyone except Boyle finished in the negative range in terms of Fenwick, and no one had a positive Corsi, either. Johnson committed at least two neutral zone turnovers and was generally careless with the puck. For a #1 center, he needs to be much better all around than he was tonight.

Johnson seemed still hurt from last game. The whole line didn't click like we are used to

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm so pissed about the last game. It's not even like we were out worked. We didn't even try to attack them minus a couple odd man rushes. Absolute crap all game long. It's like we were playing not to get hurt.

Like they said, "Well we got the split. Doesn't matter what happens here boys"

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
They actually try to play tighter defense when hes in net and it actually has the opposite effect. Its really amazing, because you see them limiting space and opportunities, and while Vasi made some great saves last night, you saw a lot of junk chances from the walls or blueline that are low risk/low opp. They all try to collapse on him constantly and avoid giving up a second opp and i'm guessing its because they want to avoid his sometimes shaky rebound control causing a second chance.

They never established transition early (or the rest of the game) yet somehow hung in that whole time while Pittsburgh threw everything at them. While that wasn't ideal, i'm not terribly worried about that game. That was one of our worse games these playoffs.

while this is completely true, they aren't collapsing as bad as they did last year against chicago. it was painful to watch the team try to shelter vasi so much, as we never really did establish a transition game.

torts was right about one thing "safe is death" in the playoffs. if we're gonna win a series, we gotta play how we got here, regardless of who is in the net.

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
Johnson seemed still hurt from last game. The whole line didn't click like we are used to

I thought they were all still pretty fast but I couldn't shake the feeling the whole team was under the weather. Not clear why since they've had so much time off.

Do you think Cooper is going to rethink where he puts Stralman? He looked gassed by the end

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We really blew it in the 2nd there. Let the Pens settle back into the game and then dominate the 3rd. So close to stealing it still with the Killorn post and Palat not going around Murray. Bah.

I think we missed Callahan last night to be honest. He would have thrown some hits to bring the intensity back to the game, IMO. We didn't have much compete most shifts, the Namestnikov line being the lone exception.

Goober

Apr 19, 2006

I thought they were all still pretty fast but I couldn't shake the feeling the whole team was under the weather. Not clear why since they've had so much time off.

Do you think Cooper is going to rethink where he puts Stralman? He looked gassed by the end

I was surprised Stralman played 18+ minutes. Aside from the goal, he looked lost defensively. I was thinking he would get 10-12 min.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I'm not worried about the next two games. Tighten up our own gaps and this should go back to Pittsburgh with Tampa only needing one more win to clinch

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
We will not win another game until Bishop comes back. First 2 goals were Charmin ultra soft specials. Get this choking Russian out of my face.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we missed Callahan last night to be honest. He would have thrown some hits to bring the intensity back to the game, IMO. We didn't have much compete most shifts, the Namestnikov line being the lone exception.

Well this post is certainly progress from the "Callahan sucks" or "Callahan will lose this game for us" posts. lol.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Killer had a few opportunities to bury this thing. I think even though this wasn't our best game we still had plenty of opportunities to win it says something to me. Play your game at home and I think we can win this thing.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
They actually try to play tighter defense when hes in net and it actually has the opposite effect. Its really amazing, because you see them limiting space and opportunities, and while Vasi made some great saves last night, you saw a lot of junk chances from the walls or blueline that are low risk/low opp. They all try to collapse on him constantly and avoid giving up a second opp and i'm guessing its because they want to avoid his sometimes shaky rebound control causing a second chance.

They never established transition early (or the rest of the game) yet somehow hung in that whole time while Pittsburgh threw everything at them. While that wasn't ideal, i'm not terribly worried about that game. That was one of our worse games these playoffs.

agreed how they collapsed on him and the transition was bad.. I am worried on the rest of the series simply because we have been a bi polar team all season. Till we face true adversity we at times play at or below the level of competition. Unfortunately this is probably not the best ideal in how to handle this series.

I stilll got faith but am seriously disappointed in how we played this game. FIXABLE absolutely we had a lot of bad puck luck for sure. Yet still gave up wayyyyy too much ground. Got nothing from brown or paquette and with callahan out those are the guys that must step up. Shows we actually do need callahan to slow down a malkin crosby letang thing.

We really blew it in the 2nd there. Let the Pens settle back into the game and then dominate the 3rd. So close to stealing it still with the Killorn post and Palat not going around Murray. Bah.

We absolutely missed Callahan and I am close to hater level with that man. I want someone cheaper is just my two cents. But brown and paquette can not take his spot against elite forwards or centers. Drouin had more hits than paquette thats not excusable im pretty much fed up with paquette bring in blunden if we need to have more physicality.

Physical play will get these elite players and they are elite off their games. If we do not step it up we might lose. To me this is not excusable because overall I think we are the much more dangerous and better team.

We will not win another game until Bishop comes back. First 2 goals were Charmin ultra soft specials. Get this choking Russian out of my face.

I held back on facebook and twitter calling people a name so will do it again here but just point out you made your own case for yourself and dont need to help out and label you. Everyone here knows what you are. Wonder if you are trolling or you really know yourself lol.

Well this post is certainly progress from the "Callahan sucks" or "Callahan will lose this game for us" posts. lol.

I am close to hating Callahan because of contract but not having him this game was the absolute difference in the game to me. Less net front prescence all kinds of rebounds and pucks sitting at the net all night long. PK was ok without him imho not great but got through it. His hitting disrupting getting into heads was lacking from anyone but drouin to me. Thats very sad when maybe our best forward on the team a guy we gave up on and pretty much wanted out of town who is an offensive dynamo has more quality hits than palat brown or paquette.

This will take a lot to get past for me. I am seriously upset about it about our lack of physicality with one guy out of the lineup. This is when others need to step up and they didnt. What a waste. Yep had to steal this game but the things we could control we didnt not to bother with:(

Killer had a few opportunities to bury this thing. I think even though this wasn't our best game we still had plenty of opportunities to win it says something to me. Play your game at home and I think we can win this thing.

We had a ton of grade a chances kucherov set up 2-3 palat had the one killer had four drouin had others. Just one of those games where we were sloppy in all facets and paid a price.

I think having callahan back goes a long way but even better having last change? We should be able to play a heck of a lot better moving forward.

P.S. a big concern is how pitt started the game and the third and fourth quarters we cannot let them take control of the game in 10 seconds that has to be adjusted. I think right there in all those situations you see callahan line and yes its failed us at times in the year.

Yet not as often as we got a glaring fail last night over and over and over:(

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
while this is completely true, they aren't collapsing as bad as they did last year against chicago. it was painful to watch the team try to shelter vasi so much, as we never really did establish a transition game.

torts was right about one thing "safe is death" in the playoffs. if we're gonna win a series, we gotta play how we got here, regardless of who is in the net.

Not to mention, without Ben really dealing the puck from time to time, the defense looks lost. You forget how fragile we are out back when 30 doesn't start transition.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Gotta have better puck control and hold it in their zone a while. Remember how Flip, Kooch, Cally, Drouin and Killer dominated with the biscuit the last series or two? Hasn't happened yet...

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
whats really concerning to me is that pitts bottom four defenders to me are exploitable

probably more exploitable than the last two rounds. I get the stats but you watch them and we just need to overcome them win the puck battles let them make mistakes and get them on their heels

so far its been the exact opposite. we are in fact on our heels. I still think we are the faster team I hope they decide to show this:)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
whats really concerning to me is that pitts bottom four defenders to me are exploitable

probably more exploitable than the last two rounds. I get the stats but you watch them and we just need to overcome them win the puck battles let them make mistakes and get them on their heels

so far its been the exact opposite. we are in fact on our heels. I still think we are the faster team I hope they decide to show this:)

Because cooper was playing New Jersey Devils trap hockey all third period! What we had two scoring chances in the 3rd one Killorn hit the post and palat I think was a 3 on two ? The Penguins are way more aggressive and Murray did not have to do much. Idk what it is they seem to always play this stupid way in front of vasy! Vasy is a
Good goalie we don't need to play Devils trap hockey in front of him! Take some
Chances! Go for the ko and take these next two home games ! What I also am concerned with is the flu bug now please I hope it does not hit our guys!

Last edited:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Defense could have helped him out some as he was hung out to dry all night. But no, he choked the night away which is why it went to OT instead of ending up 7-2 Pens

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
We didn't play very good but I didn't feel like they threatened us too much... I think that as soon as we play a bit better we can dominate them... I feel very optimistic about this series... winning game 3 is key

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

100% agree. Cally's energy and forecheck was sorely missed and it allowed Pitt to get out of their zone faster and open up more scoring chances. I hope this flu is not another one of those one or two player per game varieties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad