Post-Game Talk: 5-14-6-1

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Where is Lander? I don't remember him being sent down so is he just sitting around doing a whole bunch of nothing?

He's still on the oilers but he isn't playing. They should send him down considering condors are in much need of actual players. Besides Lander excels there, so perhaps he can get his **** together again.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You are harping on 2 of the 3 defensemen (along with Nurse, although he is wearing down and making more mistakes) that can actually get the puck out of the defensive zone without a significant turnover rate. Sure a seamless transition to offense would be great, but our group needs to walk before they run.

That's true. I don't have a ton of time for most of the defensemen in our line up simply because they can't make the obvious simple pass quickly. Klefbom and Nurse can play any day, Sekera and Davidson yes (although Sekera on the 2nd pairing and Davidson on the 3rd), and the rest are gone in my books. Too much indecision, too many completely botched plays. Perhaps Gryba could be a #7 but he shouldn't be playing regularly on a good team.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
That's true. I don't have a ton of time for most of the defensemen in our line up simply because they can't make the obvious simple pass quickly. Klefbom and Nurse can play any day, Sekera and Davidson yes (although Sekera on the 2nd pairing and Davidson on the 3rd), and the rest are gone in my books. Too much indecision, too many completely botched plays. Perhaps Gryba could be a #7 but he shouldn't be playing regularly on a good team.

Shultz, Fayne and Gryba should be gone. slow or weak on support and breakouts.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Draisaitl is wearing down. Its been a great season for him but his energy is waning. Needs someone to help with the heavy lifting for a bit

Not surprisingly this drop off coincided with the RNH injury. Draisaitl has had to endure much tougher minutes and the sledding is not as easy as it was a few weeks ago.

This more than anything underscores the importance of a player like RNH. Never understood why he was so maligned on this board.

I guess most posters simply don't appreciate how difficult it is for a 22 year old centre to play the tough minutes and still manage to keep his head above water.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Shultz, Fayne and Gryba should be gone. slow or weak on support and breakouts.

Gryba is one of the few dmen that provides some muscle on the back end. He plays a simple game and plays it very well.

No reason to trade this player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Shiny toy syndrome.

RNH is a 5 year vet and people expect him to be at par with 28yr old vets.

Im still so disapointed that RNH went down .

Would have been nice to see
hall rnh drai
pou Mcd Ebs

just for one game thats all

Completely agree.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Shiny toy syndrome.

RNH is a 5 year vet and people expect him to be at par with 28yr old vets.

Im still so disapointed that RNH went down .

Would have been nice to see
hall rnh drai
pou Mcd Ebs

just for one game thats all

Unbelievably frustrating we haven't seen that. RNH Drai and Hall were the hottest line in the NHL before they were broken up due to the McDavid injury. McDavid injury derailed us in so many different ways.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm not sure if I missed it being mentioned in the thread, but one thing that really impressed me in this game was that McDavid gave up his own opportunity for his own first hat trick in order to get Eberle his hat trick.

It was a VERY unselfish play - it's not like he was desperately trying to make the highest percentage play to ice a game where the other team was still threatening to win. He had virtually no risk to the game in trying to get his own personal accomplishment, but still gave that up to get another player his own accomplishment.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but a player who can be as spectacularly good as McDavid, AND that selfless is a very special player indeed.

I think creepy Mess had it right:

z4iqn.jpg

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure if I missed it being mentioned in the thread, but one thing that really impressed me in this game was that McDavid gave up his own opportunity for his own first hat trick in order to get Eberle his hat trick.

It was a VERY unselfish play - it's not like he was desperately trying to make the highest percentage play to ice a game where the other team was still threatening to win. He had virtually no risk to the game in trying to get his own personal accomplishment, but still gave that up to get another player his own accomplishment.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but a player who can be as spectacularly good as McDavid, AND that selfless is a very special player indeed.

I'd bet didn't think about anything but whatever play was to score and that was the pass. Not selfish or unselfish but natural reaction for him.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
This x100!

Not surprisingly this drop off coincided with the RNH injury. Draisaitl has had to endure much tougher minutes and the sledding is not as easy as it was a few weeks ago.

This more than anything underscores the importance of a player like RNH. Never understood why he was so maligned on this board.

I guess most posters simply don't appreciate how difficult it is for a 22 year old centre to play the tough minutes and still manage to keep his head above water.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Drai's competition has probably been a little tougher, but he's been playing top competition for a while now. Probably going back to 10-15 games into his season.

Drai/Hall/Purc/Sek/Nurse was basically used as a five man unit against top competition for a long stretch.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Drai's competition has probably been a little tougher, but he's been playing top competition for a while now. Probably going back to 10-15 games into his season.

Drai/Hall/Purc/Sek/Nurse was basically used as a five man unit against top competition for a long stretch.

He's still young. He will be able to handle the tough sledding but it does appear to be wearing on him somewhat. His big offensive out burst was actually with Nuge as the center playing RW. It's obviously a very small sample size so it really needs to be taken with a grain of salt but his ES GF/60 with Nuge is a ridiculous 5.21 and is 2.65 without Nuge. Playing with Nuge Leaon and Hall could really go for it.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
He's still young. He will be able to handle the tough sledding but it does appear to be wearing on him somewhat. His big offensive out burst was actually with Nuge as the center playing RW. It's obviously a very small sample size so it really needs to be taken with a grain of salt but his ES GF/60 with Nuge is a ridiculous 5.21 and is 2.65 without Nuge. Playing with Nuge Leaon and Hall could really go for it.

Do you know Draisaitl's teammate's on-ice SH% with and without RNH?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Do you know Draisaitl's teammate's on-ice SH% with and without RNH?

Drai's line at 5v5:

Pre RNH injury: 574 minutes, 9.01 SH%, .9157 SV%, 52.4 CF%
Post RNH injury: 116 minutes, 8.06 SH%, .8421 SV%, 55.8 CF%

edit: Oops. Thought you said linemates. Might not be what you're looking for.

I see I completely missed the point of what you were asking haha.

Together: 15.22 SH%
Drai away from RNH: 7.99%
RNH away from Drai: 7.89%

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just to be clear, I am not trying to take anything way from Draisaitl. I love the player and was 100% onside with the pick. But I do think it is premature to write Nuge off as expendable. He might have to be moved to fill a hole somewhere else. BUt right now he still has a significant role to play on this team. McDavid is the clear to dog. But having all three gives you lots of options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad