Post-Game Talk: 5-14-6-1

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Maybe people will realize what they have in Nugent-Hopkins now. How many points has Draisaitl put up since he's been gone? Maybe because he's had to play against tougher comp...

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Why cherry pick? How many points did he have? No one's complaining that Pouliot had 0 goals last night.

Right. Like assists don't count. The line was producing. period. Yakupov is a flawed player for sure but he's also a 2 million dollar player and 22. He did well with McDavid, i'd trade him for a reasonable return but i'm not sure that he couldn't produce with a playmaking center. He's done well with Roy and McDavid, he can't do well when he's got to carry the line. He needs to be an assassin on his line.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Maybe people will realize what they have in Nugent-Hopkins now. How many points has Draisaitl put up since he's been gone? Maybe because he's had to play against tougher comp...

Not sure about that. McDavid is getting much the same comp that Nuge would on tough days.

In either case we had 2 top centers when Nuge was in the lineup and 2 top centers now, with the difference being teams obviously have to try to do more to shutdown Mcjesus.

It should follow that Hall/Draisaitl have been getting less focus. My take is they've hit the wall. This has been a hard season for them and really around 30-40 games where they were doing it all.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I have Eberle in a fantasy league. A week ago I was joking with a buddy that he was on the trade block for a D, but I'd only trade for Burns Subban or EK. Now I won't trade Eberle for anyone. I love Eberle. And McD.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Was a good game to watch, but it still showed the major flaws in this team.

- Lack of compete
- bottom 6 is awful
- can't stop the cycle
- no puck moving D men

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the ugliest games defensively for this team came after he was hurt either. Guy is so under rated for the hard work he does it's not even funny.

Be real interesting to see what this team has when everyone was healthy, but of course that can't happen.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm surprised people thought Davidson played that well. I think he's shown some good games and flashes, but this game especially I thought his decision making with the puck was very suspect, he takes way too long to make a pass and far too often resorts to smashing it off the boards when he had ample opportunity to put it on someone's stick. Our forwards are never going to generate consistent offense if our defensemen don't learn to get them the puck quickly with speed.

Sekera is equally as guilty, although no defenseman is worse than Gryba at this.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm surprised people thought Davidson played that well. I think he's shown some good games and flashes, but this game especially I thought his decision making with the puck was very suspect, he takes way too long to make a pass and far too often resorts to smashing it off the boards when he had ample opportunity to put it on someone's stick. Our forwards are never going to generate consistent offense if our defensemen don't learn to get them the puck quickly with speed.

Sekera is equally as guilty, although no defenseman is worse than Gryba at this.

You are harping on 2 of the 3 defensemen (along with Nurse, although he is wearing down and making more mistakes) that can actually get the puck out of the defensive zone without a significant turnover rate. Sure a seamless transition to offense would be great, but our group needs to walk before they run.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
With the way Hall started flying it was pretty apparent after McLellan separated Hall and Draisaitl who was dragging the pair down. That is not a knock on Draisaitl as the team leaned on him way too much over the past couple of months. Learning to be a consistently elite hockey player for 82 games over 6.5 months is perhaps one of the most difficult skills for young stars to acquire.

I was saying last year that Drai couldn't produce not because he wasn't "good" but he had difficulty adjusting his game pace.

This year, he went all out like Hall [or maybe just to keep up] and got results but not many are able to do that for 82 games, let alone having only 40ish games of Pro experience.

Still a keeper though if he can sort out his cardio.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Even though he isn't really considered a CORE player.. I really like what Benny Pouliot provides for this team. He's a great complimentary player who can play with skilled players. He played great with RNH and Eberle last season and they became one of the hottest lines in the league in the last half. Then earlier this year, he played very well with Yak and McDavid.. and now he's doing the same with McDavid and Eberle.

Oct 30, 2011
I think Drasaitl's has been a bit snake-bit. Hall has set him up a few times in the last little while and because he didn't finish, Hall feels like he has to do everything. That's usually when his offence goes to ****. Hall has been doing a decent job of back-checking. You can see he's driving the play, but maybe too much. He needs to driving the play without the puck to open the lanes to the net.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Heh, yeah even once in a while even hacks say something that turns out to be true.

Well...I told my wife if they lose I will finally take my Paajarvi jersey to the front lawn and burn it and not watch for the rest of the year.

Don't want to burn the McDavid jersey (and don't ask why I have a Paajarvi jersey...still don't know what was going through my wifes head :help:).

BTW....would never desecrate THE logo....so don't take me serious ;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think Drasaitl's has been a bit snake-bit. Hall has set him up a few times in the last little while and because he didn't finish, Hall feels like he has to do everything. That's usually when his offence goes to ****. Hall has been doing a decent job of back-checking. You can see he's driving the play, but maybe too much. He needs to driving the play without the puck to open the lanes to the net.

Actually Hall has been responsible too often for forcing plays, turning over the puck, and not maintaining some cycle pressure which is a game Drai excels at.

Hall is guilty of what the whole topsix is trying to do which is score off the rush. They need to work pucks downlow, exhibit patience, and exploit D through puck control, movement, and tiring the coverage. They are capable of doing this and it has been a strength.

I think Halls impatience is borne out of his frustration. Oddly enough, the Younger Draisaitl is playing a better thinking game generally.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well...I told my wife if they lose I will finally take my Paajarvi jersey to the front lawn and burn it and not watch for the rest of the year.

Don't want to burn the McDavid jersey (and don't ask why I have a Paajarvi jersey...still don't know what was going through my wifes head :help:).

BTW....would never desecrate THE logo....so don't take me serious ;)

My condolences on the Paajarvi jersey and the wifes possible fixation. heh.

I can kind of relate. ;)

With my wife Its Hall that gets her attention but that don't look out of place. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Actually Hall has been responsible too often for forcing plays, turning over the puck, and not maintaining some cycle pressure which is a game Drai excels at.

Hall is guilty of what the whole topsix is trying to do which is score off the rush. They need to work pucks downlow, exhibit patience, and exploit D through puck control, movement, and tiring the coverage. They are capable of doing this and it has been a strength.

I think Halls impatience is borne out of his frustration. Oddly enough, the Younger Draisaitl is playing a better thinking game generally.

I think part of its honestly been Teddy's fault. I think he's looked awful lately and kills so many plays on that line. There's just really not much he adds. I think Nuge is a much better fit there because of his ability to cycle.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think part of its honestly been Teddy's fault. I think he's looked awful lately and kills so many plays on that line. There's just really not much he adds. I think Nuge is a much better fit there because of his ability to cycle.

I really rally against overloading the C's on this club because we don't have enough that are offensively capable.

Once Nuge is back some other kind of reconfigs are possible.

Ebs looks overjoyed to have McDavid now and that's going to continue. I think ultimately we need to see if anything can happen with say either Drai and Yak or Nuge and Yak. From a Euro perspective I think the former would work better.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm not a Yak fan but I don't see the point in playing him with Hendricks and Korpikoski.
Drai is struggling so saddle him with Pakarinen and Purcell?

I don't think Yak has "earned" it but why not just switch him and Purcell? The Drai line needs an injection of energy and Purcell has gone back to being useless the last 10 games or so, just can't keep up. Who cares about boosting Purcell's value? It's the difference between a 3rd and 4th rounder. Yak needs a triggerman on his line, give him a real opportunity to play with one and see at the very least, if he can become a valuable trade piece. Burying him in the bottom 6 accomplishes nothing, absolutely nothing. This season means nothing anymore, start planning for the future.

I gotta say, I haven't agreed with a lot of Mclellan's forward lines and D pairings this season although in fairness to him, the options are limited especially with all the injuries.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I really rally against overloading the C's on this club because we don't have enough that are offensively capable.

Once Nuge is back some other kind of reconfigs are possible.

Ebs looks overjoyed to have McDavid now and that's going to continue. I think ultimately we need to see if anything can happen with say either Drai and Yak or Nuge and Yak. From a Euro perspective I think the former would work better.

Thats true, we really lack a capable 3C and its too bad that Lander couldn't pick up where he left off last year because if we did have an offensively capable 3C that Hall-Nuge-Drai line looked dominant in their short time together.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Thats true, we really lack a capable 3C and its too bad that Lander couldn't pick up where he left off last year because if we did have an offensively capable 3C that Hall-Nuge-Drai line looked dominant in their short time together.

Speaking of Lander and gravitational waves (from the Rumors and Proposals thread title):

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space and time produced by violent events including merging black holes. So, putting Lander and Schultz on the PP together earlier this season must have resonated through the universe.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Speaking of Lander and gravitational waves (from the Rumors and Proposals thread title):

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space and time produced by violent events including merging black holes. So, putting Lander and Schultz on the PP together earlier this season must have resonated through the universe.

Where is Lander? I don't remember him being sent down so is he just sitting around doing a whole bunch of nothing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad