Post-Game Talk: 5-0 Homestand, the puck is in your rink Ken

Will Holland do something besides acquiring a scrub?

• Total voters

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
cut.jpg

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He makes just 1.3 more than Kass and 1.75 more than Foegele and has more points over the last 2 years than both of them combined despite being a dman. It’s not better spent elsewhere. As much as I don’t want to deal Kassian, he’s the player you move out if you want to open up capspace. Barrie isn’t overpaid, and you can have 2 offensive dmen on a team despite what this board seems to have convinced themselves.
Kassian brings other things beyond scoring. Barrie is a pure offensive D who is garbage in his own end. He’s great if you don’t have anyone else with high end offensive talent back there but we do. I’d rather have a starting goalie than Tyson Barrie.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Kassian brings other things beyond scoring. Barrie is a pure offensive D who is garbage in his own end. He’s great if you don’t have anyone else with high end offensive talent back there but we do. I’d rather have a starting goalie than Tyson Barrie.

Barrie for Binnington? :sarcasm:

Reactions: tardigrade81

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would take Binnington. Haven’t paid attention to him much this year but his cup run he was outstanding.
So was Matt Murray.

Binnington hasn't even been close to that level since his cup run.

Getting players for what they've done instead of what they'll do is how you end up with a Duncan Keith. He was pretty good in their cup runs too.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
So was Matt Murray.

Getting players for what they've done instead of what they'll do is how you end up with a Duncan Keith. He was pretty good in their cup runs too.
Fair point but Binnington was also solid in his second season with the Blues as well. His numbers were respectable two years ago, he’s down this year but I think it’s because he hasn’t got into much of a groove. Blues other goalie has been having a nice year so it seems the play is 50/50 between the two goalies. I think a fresh team and more starting time, Binnington could be awesome

Also this is Binningtons worst season since he has come into the NHL and his numbers are STILL better than Kosk and Smith. I would definitely take Bennington. Two solid years, one average year and this year is a down year. Happens to lots of goalies. There isn’t a ton of goalies out there for the picking. Binnington is still young. Go for someone like Quick who is 36 and declining badly would be a mistake now.

We have ten times the chance making a run with Binnington than Smith or Kosk.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So was Matt Murray.

Duncan Keith has been great for us so that’s not a great example. He’s a bit overpaid but he’s the 2LD we needed. If we could find a slightly overpaid good starter I’d take that but I’m not sure Binnington is even that and his contract is long.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fair point but Binnington was also solid in his second season with the Blues as well. His numbers were respectable two years ago, he’s down this year but I think it’s because he hasn’t got into much of a groove. Blues other goalie has been having a nice year so it seems the play is 50/50 between the two goalies. I think a fresh team and more starting time, Binnington could be awesome

Also this is Binningtons worst season since he has come into the NHL and his numbers are STILL better than Kosk and Smith. I would definitely take Bennington. Two solid years, one average year and this year is a down year. Happens to lots of goalies. There isn’t a ton of goalies out there for the picking. Binnington is still young. Go for someone like Quick who is 36 and declining badly would be a mistake now.

We have ten times the chance making a run with Binnington than Smith or Kosk.
Have you seen Binnington's contract and how much longer he has on it?

You would pay a goalie slightly better than Koskinen that?

Reactions: North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So coach is indicating that Kassian fighting amped the group. Drew them more into the game. I don't disagree. In the exchange its pretty clear Kass was initially trying to defer on the fight. I imagine he reminded that he had just had facial surgery. But he relented, and part of that is that when a young enforcer comes to you part of the code is that they need it, they need it to stay in the lineup, and to be seen as something. So Kass did himself and his opponent a favor. Just like some tough would have done for Kass a dozen years ago.

Kass was rewarded by being up on the top line, and wasn't at all out of place, and the line scored 2 goals after the switch was made.

Kass is somebody that can play well with either Connor or Leon and brings a required element in some games and plays better when elevated.

But that Kass was willing to break his face again for the team is indisputable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't comment much on the game overall. Clearly we have to tighten up. Koski was stupendous at moments in the game and arguably keeping us in it as Jersey were allowed better scoring chances earlier on. Then again when the Devils took a 3rd period lead.

Good as it is to be getting these wins its still a matter that we are outscoring our mistakes. The ones on the 3rd GA being pretty bad. Drai starts the unwrapping trying for too much and turning puck over at own blue line. But then BOTH Nurse and Ceci over pursue to guy that didn't score, and leave the net and trailer completely open for that guy to score.

The last part isn't momentary resilience and "levels of D" Its still the team blowing it when one guy makes a mistake. The team, and D, still get rattled, and even our best D. I'll be confident the team can survive its mistakes better when I'm seeing more consistent cover for mistakes. When we screwup, we still screwup big. We're somewhat fortunate the game is against NJ and they have difficulty defending or protecting a lead.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Have you seen Binnington's contract and how much longer he has on it?

You would pay a goalie slightly better than Koskinen that?
We need something ?? What’s the answer then. What other goalie is out there to get?? We aren’t doing shit in the playoffs with Kosk or Smith. Kosk had a nice stretch of 11 games but has been bad the last two games. Smith is terrible too. We have a solid team and it’s going to be wasted on goaltending. I trust Binnington can do good in the playoffs way more than Kosk or Smith. I highly doubt Avs will let Kuemper go. He has been awesome for them.

Guess we just keep rolling with what we have and be one and done as usual again in the playoffs

North

Jun 25, 2009
We need something ?? What’s the answer then. What other goalie is out there to get?? We aren’t doing shit in the playoffs with Kosk or Smith. Kosk had a nice stretch of 11 games but has been bad the last two games. Smith is terrible too. We have a solid team and it’s going to be wasted on goaltending. I trust Binnington can do good in the playoffs way more than Kosk or Smith. I highly doubt Avs will let Kuemper go. He has been awesome for them.

Guess we just keep rolling with what we have and be one and done as usual again in the playoffs

We’d be one and gone with Binnington too. He’s been trending downwards ever since the cup run.

To be honest the cup run was aided by the fact that teams didn’t have a book on him so didn’t know what his weaknesses were. Now they do.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Man I don't know how you can say Koskinen was bad yesterday. He made bunch of ten bell saves in the second period, the team left him out to dry. Even in the Detroit game he made a lot of awesome saves, I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Koskinen.

Reactions: oilers'72

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
We’d be one and gone with Binnington too. He’s been trending downwards ever since the cup run.

To be honest the cup run was aided by the fact that teams didn’t have a book on him so didn’t know what his weaknesses were. Now they do.
Hmmmm sadness. I like him. But makes sense. I still hope he gets back to that level one day.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Man I don't know how you can say Koskinen was bad yesterday. He made bunch of ten bell saves in the second period, the team left him out to dry. Even in the Detroit game he made a lot of awesome saves, I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Koskinen.
He definitely did but the third goal was bad he let out a huge rebound. He wasn’t terrible but he wasn’t great either. I still don’t trust Kosk to be good come playoffs. He did have a nice stretch through 11 games but his last two games has just been average. He hasn’t been bad but he is who he is. Kosk will make a game saving save in a game and then let in a soft goal.

Regardless, I don’t want to argue. I wish we had a different goalie but likely won’t happen

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He definitely did but the third goal was bad he let out a huge rebound. He wasn’t terrible but he wasn’t great either. I still don’t trust Kosk to be good come playoffs. He did have a nice stretch through 11 games but his last two games has just been average. He hasn’t been bad but he is who he is. Kosk will make a game saving save in a game and then let in a soft goal.

Regardless, I don’t want to argue. I wish we had a different goalie but likely won’t happen
If you dont trust Koskinen in the playoffs.

You should check Binningtons last 2 trips to the playoffs, and we would be paying him 6m a year for 5 more years.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
If you dont trust Koskinen in the playoffs.

You should check Binningtons last 2 trips to the playoffs, and we would be paying him 6m a year for 5 more years.
Well regardless it’s Kosk come playoffs. Doesn’t matter what I want. It won’t happen regardless, so let’s hope Kosk performs like he did through those 11 games and maybe we will have a shot to do some damage in the playoffs

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Considering Barrie put up 10 times more points than Kassian last year, I’d hope he’s bringing something else. And Barrie really isn’t that bad defensively. His skating makes him good in transition, and our forwards are pretty much always the weak link in our end

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Considering Barrie put up 10 times more points than Kassian last year, I’d hope he’s bringing something else. And Barrie really isn’t that bad defensively. His skating makes him good in transition, and our forwards are pretty much always the weak link in our end
Why are you comparing points when one player is constantly on a PP and the other isn't?

Kass has more EV pts than Barrie this season in far less GP.

Barrie has been pretty much nothing this season and I'm a fan of the player stating this. He hasn't even been good offensively, or on the PP, and this far in he still has trouble with timing hitting McD on PP breakout or working OZone on the PP.

I liked last season Barrie overall. This season he's been a mess.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Why are you comparing points when one player is constantly on a PP and the other isn't?

Kass has more EV pts than Barrie this season in far less GP.

Barrie has been pretty much nothing this season and I'm a fan of the player stating this. He hasn't even been good offensively, or on the PP, and this far in he still has trouble with timing hitting McD on PP breakout or working OZone on the PP.

I liked last season Barrie overall. This season he's been a mess.

Because he has the highest PPG of all dmen on the team, and is one of only 3 dmen in the last 20 years (and only in the last 10) to put up 45+ points. How many years did we complain about a lack of offense from the blue line and now people want to dump a guy who’s probably the second most offensively talented dman we’ve ever had?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So coach is indicating that Kassian fighting amped the group. Drew them more into the game. I don't disagree. In the exchange its pretty clear Kass was initially trying to defer on the fight. I imagine he reminded that he had just had facial surgery. But he relented, and part of that is that when a young enforcer comes to you part of the code is that they need it, they need it to stay in the lineup, and to be seen as something. So Kass did himself and his opponent a favor. Just like some tough would have done for Kass a dozen years ago.

Kass was rewarded by being up on the top line, and wasn't at all out of place, and the line scored 2 goals after the switch was made.

Kass is somebody that can play well with either Connor or Leon and brings a required element in some games and plays better when elevated.

But that Kass was willing to break his face again for the team is indisputable.
Missed the game yesterday, but I’m glad to hear Kassian had his motor going. Him fighting this quick coming back from his injury shows he all in for the team IMO. Really liked his play since he’s been back.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Because he has the highest PPG of all dmen on the team, and is one of only 3 dmen in the last 20 years (and only in the last 10) to put up 45+ points. How many years did we complain about a lack of offense from the blue line and now people want to dump a guy who’s probably the second most offensively talented dman we’ve ever had?
Again I was a Barrie fan but his production is very much related to PP specifically.

Barrie this season is 5th among D here in EV pts. That is specifically unacceptable and production is his calling card. Barrie is a worse D, defensively, than all ahead of him with exception of Bouchard who is a rook learning his craft. 12EV pts. Thats not much.

We're paying heavily for a D that mainly gets pts just on basis of being on a PP with generational players. He's largely been along for the ride this season.

Last season Barrie had 25EV pts. Why the stark dropoff?

Reactions: ZJuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad