Prospect Info: 4th Overall, Bowen Byram, Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really hate when TheLastWord sports steals these threads away from the real fans for clickbait money grabs. Seriously, your site deserves to be banned.

You know, I am quite happy with this pick. Will there be better players picked after him? Absolutely in my mind, however, he provides a unique skill set where he's able to provide offence from the backend, but also can shutdown opponents. As I said in the past he can make the NHL next season, but he will probably be primarily a shutdown defender (for the next couple of years). Remember he is an opportunist defender and these type of lads need a lot of seasoning and learning from mistakes. Most importantly timing will be his biggest issues as he's going to play against smarter players and ones who will outskate him as well. There is still a lot to like here, he was one of the hardest players to breakdown on the forecheque and that should go along ways when he gets to his prime.

Welcome Byram to Colorado and can't wait to cheer you on! I don't trust Button's opinion about him, but I hope his scouting eye is accurate on this one!

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
giphy.gif

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Byram has a cockiness to be better. A strong compete level. Dach is more reserved. He has incredible talent, but his compete level is not the same.

Maybe Dach has a better career, but Byram has the greater potential.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With the Kings picking Turcotte and the Wings picking Seider, which one of them was hoping more the Avs would pass on Byram?
I wonder how hard the Wings tried to trade up. Everyone knew they needed D. Since Byram was our pick there was no hope.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ive talked to many NHL scouts and they all considered Byram the most NHL ready dman in the WHL this season.. as a 17 year old that hadn't even been drafted yet

This kid is the real deal... he is going to blow you away at camp when you see him

I know many fans wished they got a forward at 4, but he was BY FAR the right choice....

Plus you got Newhook with the next pick. IMO you guys won day 1 hands down

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
Look. This was truly a very smart long term pick. Two high end o-minded D-men is something that is nearly impossible to acquire from the market, without sacrificing something else. And boy it will be a killer pairing for opponents. Not to mention they may even get more out of that mediocre offence (1st line of course not mediocre). It is relatively easy to fill in those stable stay at home d-men with later picks or some trades. Having a strong D-core is where it all starts. Behind McK with some sheltering and "learning from his example" Avs might even grow Alex Newhook to new unpredictable hights.. Love it Joe!!

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I loved Turcotte and so glad they got Byram.

AVs wanted a 2C and LHD in the 1st round. It was a gamble but the drop off from 4th to 16th in Forwards is less significant compared to DMen.

Still incredible they not only got both high end prospects, but they still have 3 picks in the next 2 rounds to add some Wingers and a Goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad