GDT: #49| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | January 16th | 7:30pm | F/SOW 2-1

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Really liking poulin lately. Making big saves. But Dehann has been the star of this team. Amazing how we thought he was a lost cause and he may be one of the best picks in Garth's long time here. Still early but this guy looks like a 10 year vet and he will hopefully get better.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Calvin DeHann...... he is by and far our best Dman. I am so ****ing shocked when he plays like this night in, night out....

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I must say that I do not understand the ice times in overtime. Tavares got 2 shifts that I could see with nielsen. Vanek got one. Okposo for one. So did nelson and clutterbuck. While I don't mind either of the latter two guys, they should not have equal ice time with point per game players (apologies if I saw that wrong...I have not watched the ot a second time).

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
Calvin DeHann...... he is by and far our best Dman. I am so ****ing shocked when he plays like this night in, night out....

Definitely a silver lining in our season so far. He is the anti-Amac in every way possible.
I wonder what his upside would be with a competent coaching staff. The sample size so far is very small, but he makes plays that shows his talent oozing through.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I don't care what anyone says, but this season, Kevin Poulin has been awesome for us. He's been playing behind a below average defense and has still been doing well. Without a doubt, I sincerely think he's our goalie next season. Have total faith in him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Calvin de Norris. :handclap:

I know we're all hesitant because we're not allowed to have nice things, but CdH looks legit and is getting better. He sees and thinks the game like Tavares, notice all of his offensive pinches and how he always seems to make the right decisions. His ability to skate the puck out of trouble is on par with Visnovsky already and his passes are money. Whatever we gave up to get him, it was worth it.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Definitely a silver lining in our season so far. He is the anti-Amac in every way possible.
I wonder what his upside would be with a competent coaching staff. The sample size so far is very small, but he makes plays that shows his talent oozing through.

I have been trying to not get ahead of myself on his play, only 1/4 season as an NHLer but so far, he could not have been any better. So calm and smooth, and he really looks like the veteran on the blueline for us. I just hope he doesn't have any problems with those shoulders of his, he is carrying our blue line in his very short NHL career. As someone mentioned earlier, not only am I not worried about having him out there when its crunch time, he is really the one I MUST SEE out there.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
CDH is ****ing amazing, watching the guy move the puck with the poise and confidence that he has is something I've never seen in a D-man on the Isles in my time as a fan (since 2007).

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wow, talk about stealing a point though in the third it looked better. They have to keep on winning. So many points to make up. Tonight makes up for one of the many losses they dropped when they should have won.

Back to AMac - so they are openly talking about trading him during intermission? That is interesting.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
CDH is ****ing amazing, watching the guy move the puck with the poise and confidence that he has is something I've never seen in a D-man on the Isles in my time as a fan (since 2007).

He is half the reason I watch at this point.

On the flip side, you compare some of our vets to him and you scratch your head... how come they can't do what he does?

Maybe we need to send all of our kids on a one year conditioning assignment if this is the result.

Would you like a wing? ;)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wow, talk about stealing a point though in the third it looked better. They have to keep on winning. So many points to make up. Tonight makes up for one of the many losses they dropped when they should have won.

Back to AMac - so they are openly talking about trading him during intermission? That is interesting.

I visited the throne right before and during the beginning of the 3rd period. Where is my props? ;)

I didn't get the Isles feed about AMac, but that's kind of damning mentioning that.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
I have been trying to not get ahead of myself on his play, only 1/4 season as an NHLer but so far, he could not have been any better. So calm and smooth, and he really looks like the veteran on the blueline for us. I just hope he doesn't have any problems with those shoulders of his, he is carrying our blue line in his very short NHL career. As someone mentioned earlier, not only am I not worried about having him out there when its crunch time, he is really the one I MUST SEE out there.

Could not have said it better. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but he is fun to watch.
Even if he was healthy throughout his career I would not have expected this. The tools are there.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Islanders suck, didn't play well against a bad Tampa team! and they still won. I'd say it's luck, good goaltending and a fortunate shootout. Gotta take it!

Thought the Isles were pretty flat for the most part. TB has some nice players even without Stamkos.

Hockey Overlord

Jan 10, 2014
Islanders suck, didn't play well against a bad Tampa team! and they still won. I'd say it's luck, good goaltending and a fortunate shootout. Gotta take it!

Thought the Isles were pretty flat for the most part. TB has some nice players even without Stamkos.

Some TBL fans called it their best game of the season. Some reason to introspect perhaps. Anyways Isles can do much better when they play more desperate. They played balanced tonight and took the win away. :handclap:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I visited the throne right before and during the beginning of the 3rd period. Where is my props? ;)

I didn't get the Isles feed about AMac, but that's kind of damning mentioning that.

Beer and Jalapenos. Think of it as a fiesta.

The intermission AMac talk was just odd. I wondered if they were sending an organizational message to AMac's team, except Staple was the centerpiece. The Isles spokesperson threw the softballs up there. I don't know how expendable he will be if Hamonic is out for much longer.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I don't care what anyone says, but this season, Kevin Poulin has been awesome for us. He's been playing behind a below average defense and has still been doing well. Without a doubt, I sincerely think he's our goalie next season. Have total faith in him.

I wouldn't go THAT far....but yes I think he has been good. He catches a lot of flak but let's take a minute and look at some things.
The islanders have awful D....when Calvin de Haan is you're #1 defenseman (not a knock on him, it's more of an insult to the other D guys), you got problems. You're can't expect a kid who has 20 games of nhl experience and is a rookie to be you're stud and expect to win in this league
The isles have THE WORST PK in the league. Good teams can get away with a **** PP (see the 2011 bruins and any ranger team that Torteralla coached) but you cannot have success with a Swiss cheese PK
And finally, 27th in the league in face offs....the more draws you lose, the more O zone time your opposition has....all 3 of those ingredients combined is a recipe for disaster. If KP was playing on a good defensive team, he'd probably be like Martin Jones in LA....killing it
So, in taking all those points into consideration, yes Poulin has been good, but I'm not ready to crown him our starter for next year. We'll see what the rest of the season brings before I make my decision. He has been pretty damn good of late....5-1 or 6-1 in his last few? And the FLA game was on the team....2 breakaways, a 2 on 1 and an own goal ain't on the goalie

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I thought the game was entertaining for a low scoring one. Heck, I even thought Donovan played good as well. This was a really good win against a brick wall in net. I only have positives to take out of this hard fought win.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
You have to give it up for our team; they still win despite endless injuries, zero help from management, and terrible coaching. Let's go Islanders!!!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

You think Tampa is a bad team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad