GDT: #49| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | January 16th | 7:30pm | F/SOW 2-1

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

aosz.jpg

Preview

All time series record: The Lightning lead 43-41-3. Islanders all time @ Lightning are 18-24-2

The only regulation loss the Tampa Bay Lightning have suffered in the last six weeks with Ben Bishop starting in goal was a game he left due to injury.

Bishop, who sat out four games with a sprained wrist, is 9-0-2 in 12 starts since last losing in regulation on Dec. 3 at Columbus. He's got a 1.49 goals-against average in that time.

Tampa Bay is tied with Boston atop the Atlantic Division at 60 points, while the Islanders (18-23-7), despite a recent hot steak, remain last in the Metropolitan with 43.

A 4-2 loss Tuesday at Florida snapped a seven-game road winning streak for the Islanders, though they've still won seven of nine overall. They're 3-1-0 to start a six-game road stretch.

Defenseman Calvin de Haan added an assist and has seven points on a five-game point streak after going without a point in his first 17 games of the season.

The Islanders could be without defenseman Travis Hamonic for a second straight game after he suffered an upper-body injury Sunday at Dallas.

They also sent Ryan Strome back to AHL Bridgeport on Wednesday after the 20-year-old forward had four points in 15 games with the parent club. New York went 9-4-2 with him in the lineup over the last month.

The Lightning won 3-2 in a shootout in New York on Dec. 17 after Valtteri Filppula scored twice in the last three minutes of regulation to force overtime. He has three goals in his last three against the Islanders.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/

http://www.islesinfo.com/main.html

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
It's AMAZING how well Tampa is playing without Stamkos. They are going to be very tough once Stamkos comes back. They must be playing great team defense as well as Bishop and St Louis are carrying the team. No stars on this team except those two. And Hedman is playing very well too.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Can't believe Tampas record and they have been without Stamkos. Bishops numbers are unreal.
Lets get a win!!

Keep Gudas away from JT!!!!

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Bishop has been lights out. Our top line needs to carry us (as per usual) if we're going to have a chance. So glad they didn't enter our division.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Bishop has been absolutely lights-out. What a breakout year the guy is having. We're going to have to absolutely be on our A-game offensively to pull off a win here.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
after last games loss, i will call this, while not a must win per say.....a VERRRYYY important win to keep our positive momentum going into the PHI, PHI, NYR games...

a loss here and there is okay (last game) as long as it is surrounded by wins on both sides..

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
This is gonna be a tough game. Without Stamkos, Tampa has been finding a way to get wins. It's funny, their team on paper looks not very good without him. They have tons of speed though. Bishop has really been playing extremely well, those numbers are really good, but his defense has helped out as well. If our first line does what it normally does, and we get some secondary scoring? Isles can win this! Let's go Isles!

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I hope the second line has a huge night. The Isles need a great second line if they're going to make a run (just like last year).

And a healthy Visnovsky would be a gift!

If AMac is still on the PP tonight, I'm gonna send a harshly-toned email to the Doug Weight, possibly a 140 character anonymous tweet.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Any of our Tampa residents heading to the game tonight?

The secondary scoring is so damn inconsistent on this team.

KO or Vanek to the second line? TV would probably have more of an impact on the 2nd line. Makes the opposition rethink their d scheme. Mix and match Cappy

Last edited:

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
The current pace for the last place wild card slot is 89 points. Therefore the Islanders need at LEAST 90 points.

Islanders have 43 points in 48 games.

In 34 games the Islanders must get at least 47 points. Here is a look from a record standpoint.

The Islanders would need to go roughly something like: 22-9-3

That is the bear minimum they would need to qualify for the playoffs. Now we know that teams turn it up at the end of the year so it will likely end up being around 90-93 points that we will need.

So if it ends up being 93 points, we would need to go something like: 23-7-4

There is not a lot of room for error here. We are a long shot already and we cannot afford to lose two games in a row.

Realistically every 5 games we need to average out to 3-1-1. just to have a shot at the playoffs.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Keeping my fingers crossed but can't help but feel we are playing a good team with a depleted line-up with Hammer out and Strome down. I guess the way this team works that means a win.

Back to Strome, if we are trying to make a playoff push I still have a hard time digesting that it is more important for the team's current and long term interests to have Strome get his work in at Bridgeport, rather than on the front lines where he is contibuting... Just feel that we should have the best line up possible and I don't think I am going out on a limb by saying that Regin is a downgrade from Strome who was showing signs and should only have gotten better each game... However, I am an Islander fan, this is the path I have chosen in life and cursed my kids with, so I guess I should not be surprised by any move this team makes.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Have to give Yzerman credit, first he traded for Lindback, saw he didn't look like a starting goalie so made the deal for Bishop.

This is what drives me nuts about Snow(and I am not a Snow hater). His failure to recognize that he did not have a #1 goalie and his bigger failure to not even bring in someone. Bishop is the perfect example of how a goalie can make a good defense look great. Bobrovski did it last year with Columbus also. Yes the Islanders dmen need improvement, but when your last line of defense is mediocre at best, it does not make life any easier. Ask yourself a question, how many games has the Islanders goalie stole a win for them this year? On good teams it happens more than you think...

All that being written, with the horrible stretch in November it kind of make every game a big game now if the Islanders want to make the playoffs.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
We've held our own against the big boys the past few weeks, time to rebound with another good effort tonight. Hopefully the Panthers game was just a speedbump.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
This is what drives me nuts about Snow(and I am not a Snow hater). His failure to recognize that he did not have a #1 goalie and his bigger failure to not even bring in someone. Bishop is the perfect example of how a goalie can make a good defense look great. Bobrovski did it last year with Columbus also. Yes the Islanders dmen need improvement, but when your last line of defense is mediocre at best, it does not make life any easier. Ask yourself a question, how many games has the Islanders goalie stole a win for them this year? On good teams it happens more than you think...

All that being written, with the horrible stretch in November it kind of make every game a big game now if the Islanders want to make the playoffs.

Most of us here thought that Snow would get a goalie last summer. Yzerman recognized Tampa's biggest hole, when he didn't get it right the first time with Lindback he traded for Bishop. If Bishop did not work out who knows, he might have tried to get another goalie until the problem was fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad