GDT: #49| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | January 16th | 7:30pm | F/SOW 2-1

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
You think Tampa is a bad team?

Not this season but that was not one of their better games. Both teams gave the puck away a lot, missed some great scoring chances. Two sloppy teams.

Really like the TB young players like Johnson, Panik, Palat and Kucherov. They still have Brett Connolly and Drouin too. Are they in a rebuild?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Not this season but that was not one of their better games. Both teams gave the puck away a lot, missed some great scoring chances. Two sloppy teams.

Really like the TB young players like Johnson, Panik, Palat and Kucherov. They still have Brett Connolly and Drouin too. Are they in a rebuild?
I think when they get Stammer back and with Bishop solidifying the net they will be a dangerous playoff contender.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Nice win against yet another solid opponent. Glad to see playing down to Florida the other night was just a blip. Better come out flying here in Phila tomorrow night.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Poulin played very well tonight. I thought Donovan had his best game as an Islander. Cdh played well. Vanek looked out to lunch most of the game. Martinek is a disaster waiting to happen...

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Poulin played very well tonight. I thought Donovan had his best game as an Islander. Cdh played well. Vanek looked out to lunch most of the game. Martinek is a disaster waiting to happen...
Donovan looked better than he has but I think that's because he was playing with DeHaan. He still has work to do on his defensive zone positioning.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Donovan looked better than he has but I think that's because he was playing with DeHaan. He still has work to do on his defensive zone positioning.

I liked that Donovan was 'activating' quite a bit and he looked much more comfortable out there. He kept it simple and he got the puck to CdH to handle the majority of breakouts, it was clear who was the lead on their pairing. They were together in Bridgeport for some time so there is some chemistry and it looked like it last night. Donovan had that great chance in the slot from a pass from JT, he actually had 2 chances at it on that play. He made some good plays to keep it in the offensive zone too. I know we're all down on Donovan, but he has yet to get consistent minutes with one of our top guys. CdH was his safety blanket out there and it definitely showed.

I hope he can keep it up.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

For sure he needs alot of work. His skating is not very good and he isnt overly strong on his skates.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I liked that Donovan was 'activating' quite a bit and he looked much more comfortable out there. He kept it simple and he got the puck to CdH to handle the majority of breakouts, it was clear who was the lead on their pairing. They were together in Bridgeport for some time so there is some chemistry and it looked like it last night. Donovan had that great chance in the slot from a pass from JT, he actually had 2 chances at it on that play. He made some good plays to keep it in the offensive zone too. I know we're all down on Donovan, but he has yet to get consistent minutes with one of our top guys. CdH was his safety blanket out there and it definitely showed.

You can definitely see there was a natural comfort level between them. I would guess it's a confidence thing as well. Donovan knows de Haan is good enough to have his back, but when Donovan plays with Carkner he's probably playing not to screw up instead of playing his game.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You can definitely see there was a natural comfort level between them. I would guess it's a confidence thing as well. Donovan knows de Haan is good enough to have his back, but when Donovan plays with Carkner he's probably playing not to screw up instead of playing his game.

I totally agree with you. Donovan was 'sheltered' on the 3rd pairing for most of the season, but has he really been? In all honesty, we don't have anyone who can really shelter anyone on their pairing. Hamonic doesn't have the skillset to do that, we know what he brings in other aspects. Visnovsky did it for Hickey last year and they were probably our best pairing. In today's NHL, there is a premium for d-men with CdH's skillset and his style is conducive to sheltering someone. If you really look at Donovan, last night was the first time all season that he truly had a partner that could take the lead and Donovan having full confidence that his ass would be covered.

Donovan was much more confident last night and he got some fairly decent time with the top line. In those situations, he looked pretty good.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

When your playing during a polar vortex and make a trip to FLA where its 80 and sunny, players tend to get a little lazy after being in the sun all day. It is a simple fact and a reason why Las Vegas will never ever get a professional sports team.

Owners know what will happen!!!

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
When your playing during a polar vortex and make a trip to FLA where its 80 and sunny, players tend to get a little lazy after being in the sun all day. It is a simple fact and a reason why Las Vegas will never ever get a professional sports team.

Owners know what will happen!!!

Actually it was barely 55 here yesterday.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013

I am not down on Donovan. Not bad for his frst games.Better than a few guys i watch with 300+ games . Like most rookies, he misses assignments etc. Who would have guessed. His only problem is speed, he needs to work on it , and if necessary cheat a little.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am not down on Donovan. Not bad for his frst games.Better than a few guys i watch with 300+ games . Like most rookies, he misses assignments etc. Who would have guessed. His only problem is speed, he needs to work on it , and if necessary cheat a little.

His speed was surprising to me in a bad way. I thought he was better than this. Send him to the Dungeon with JT&Crew and have him work with Dawn Braid, it'll help him.

He needs to be paired with someone who can be the lead in his pairing and has the skating ability/smarts to cover for him - CdH or Visnosvky (if/when he returns). He's got good offensive instincts, he needs to build confidence.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
His speed was surprising to me in a bad way. I thought he was better than this. Send him to the Dungeon with JT&Crew and have him work with Dawn Braid, it'll help him.

He needs to be paired with someone who can be the lead in his pairing and has the skating ability/smarts to cover for him - CdH or Visnosvky (if/when he returns). He's got good offensive instincts, he needs to build confidence.

He needs to work out with JT in the off season and do power skating drills. Look at how far Okposo came after the summer with JT.

Donovan is way too slow to play at this level, and this hurts him because he is a step behind everything. He's way too reactive to be an NHL player right now. He needs to have an idea on what's going to happen and react - and instead everything happens, there's a delay, and then he reacts.

No bueno.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
He needs to work out with JT in the off season and do power skating drills. Look at how far Okposo came after the summer with JT.

Donovan is way too slow to play at this level, and this hurts him because he is a step behind everything. He's way too reactive to be an NHL player right now. He needs to have an idea on what's going to happen and react - and instead everything happens, there's a delay, and then he reacts.

No bueno.

cheat!

As PW said, he needs to fix the speed thing and play with a defensive defenseman who can cover his tail when he gets caught.Contact also helps when you make those boo boos

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think the whole team, especially for younger players..we have got to be below average

Even Grabner doesn't look that fast anymore..I'm thinking MacKinnon might be faster ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad