#49 KINGS lose to WINGS 2-3 in Shoot Out, and we don't even get a Moral Victory ?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I didn't say anything about Richards in this thread but as a former flyers fan, I'm glad you think my loyalty is so thin. I've explained why I changed fandoms, which is deeper than simply Mike Richards was traded, and yes, I went to the Kings because of Richards but that doesn't mean I'm switching if he goes somewhere else. I might like his new team, but I also am not going to stop liking the Kings management, their players, and their overall approach. Although, that's the same reason why I don't think that they won't trade Richards. They are loyal to their guys at this point, almost to a fault.

Secondly, I've tried to defend Richards in other threads and said that even though everyone seems to think he is having a **** season, he's second on the team in points, and spent the majority of those games to start the season with Toffoli and not Carter. 32 games until he went on his slump. Even though, I think he's been better since the new year, I will include those games and that would be 16 games. So a good chunk but still only half as many games as when he was rolling. So how has he had a bad season? A bad month, yes, but not a bad season.

Whatever, it doesn't matter at this point if he's gotten it together again. It's not just him, it's the whole team that has trouble scoring.

It's definitely not just Richards. For the most part it's Kopitar, Richards, and Brown.

At least Brown, before last night, had been showing signs of life.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I definitely understand where you are coming from, but when you have:

King - Kopitar - Carter
Brown - Stoll - Williams
???? - Richards - Toffoli

you should have 3 scoring lines. The fact that the Kings didn't can be laid right at the feet of Kopitar and Richards.

Brown and Richards needs to step it up the most. Like I said, the big dogs need to play better and that includes everyone that is on the PP.

It also falls on management for not having a LW. I was going to reply to this with how I would do the lines, but every time I'm sitting there without a legit option at LW3 and not terribly pleased to have King in the Top 6 either.

I still want to see 11-77-10-28 down the middle but finding a LW to put with Richards is futile unless you roll Pearson out there and hopes he picks it up because we know what we've got with everyone else. I'd love to insert Toffoli at RW2 with Carter, reunite the 23-11-14 line and then have a 3rd line with scoring potential since Richards would center it but LW at that point is sad. Maybe if Vey rolled to his natural RW position, the lack of a LW on the 3rd line wouldn't be as bad? I mean, every other center outside of Kopitar gets a shot at the wing and most other RWs get a LW try-out on this team so why the hell not?

23-11-14
74-77-73
13/70-10-57
13/70-28-71/22/21

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Brown and Richards needs to step it up the most. Like I said, the big dogs need to play better and that includes everyone that is on the PP.

It also falls on management for not having a LW. I was going to reply to this with how I would do the lines, but every time I'm sitting there without a legit option at LW3 and not terribly pleased to have King in the Top 6 either.

I still want to see 11-77-10-28 down the middle but finding a LW to put with Richards is futile unless you roll Pearson out there and hopes he picks it up because we know what we've got with everyone else. I'd love to insert Toffoli at RW2 with Carter, reunite the 23-11-14 line and then have a 3rd line with scoring potential since Richards would center it but LW at that point is sad. Maybe if Vey rolled to his natural RW position, the lack of a LW on the 3rd line wouldn't be as bad? I mean, every other center outside of Kopitar gets a shot at the wing and most other RWs get a LW try-out on this team so why the hell not?

23-11-14
74-77-73
13/70-10-57
13/70-28-71/22/21

Worth a try I suppose. Over the long run I see the best option down the middle as:

Kopitar
Carter
Richards

as well.

KingKopitar11*

Can we steal Vanek so we can win the ducks at the dodgers stadium. Really want to kick their ass.

Ron*

Kronwell admits goal shouldn't have counted. He has a hearing scheduled for Monday.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Wow. You were able to parlay a blown call into your continuing grandstanding that we should be able to improve our team a la 2012 when Jeff Carter was pining away to get moved out of hell and we still had cap space to bring him in.

Now there is neither. There is no top-flite player out there on the trade blocks that we can afford under the salary cap without chucking our core.

Accept it now. This is the team we are going with to the dance. For better or worse.

So the Kings shouldn't try to improve because there's no top-flight player dying to get out of the situation he's in? Dumbest thing you've ever written IMO. If that's the case then it's done cuz this team only wins a cup if Chicago gets knocked out somehow before facing LAK.

I didn't parlay ANYTHING. The GM of the Kings is quoted after the game talking about accountability regarding doing your job...same applies for him and his coaching staff. I was simply pointing that out. You wouldn't see Lombardi making comments like that if the Kings had won 8 of their last 12 games instead of the opposite (scoring a pathetic 20 goals - minus 2 empty netters in those 12 games). Sutter says...All we need is an improved PP and we'll be fine. They get 2 PPG last night and still lose on a bad non-call by the refs, but a totally legal goal!!!

As far as the game goes...score more goals and you're not complaining about what happened at the end. I always say the better 5-on-5 team usually wins... It proved to be true again last night.

And who's accountable for that?

Ron*

So the Kings shouldn't try to improve because there's no top-flight player dying to get out of the situation he's in? Dumbest thing you've ever written IMO. If that's the case then it's done cuz this team only wins a cup if Chicago gets knocked out somehow before facing LAK.

I didn't parlay ANYTHING. The GM of the Kings is quoted after the game talking about accountability regarding doing your job...same applies for him and his coaching staff. I was simply pointing that out. You wouldn't see Lombardi making comments like that if the Kings had won 8 of their last 12 games instead of the opposite (scoring a pathetic 20 goals - minus 2 empty netters in those 12 games). Sutter says...All we need is an improved PP and we'll be fine. They get 2 PPG last night and still lose on a bad non-call by the refs, but a totally legal goal!!!

As far as the game goes...score more goals and you're not complaining about what happened at the end. I always say the better 5-on-5 team usually wins... It proved to be true again last night.

And who's accountable for that?

You didn't read or at least pay attention to my entire post.

The salient point that I made is that there is no cap room. We can't get the scorers you want without gutting our core.

So we are at the coffin corner in regard to being able to make significant trades.

Get in the limo, FW. The dance is fast approaching.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Go back to Richards and Carter. Start rotating Kopitar through wingers to try and spark something, even if its a short term fix. Toffoli at some point should be looked at with him.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Just do what the NFL did. Make all scoring plays automatically reviewed. The reviews don't have to take a bunch of time, just a quick look at the replay and move on. If something looks odd, they can take the time they need to get the call right.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Just do what the NFL did. Make all scoring plays automatically reviewed. The reviews don't have to take a bunch of time, just a quick look at the replay and move on. If something looks odd, they can take the time they need to get the call right.

It really is this simple, and they shouldn't give us a bunch of BS about what if a player interfered so the guy could get a shot, etc. Just make it for boundary plays as Jim Fox was suggesting. For example, if a goal is scored on a break away immediately after the puck strikes a player on the bench and comes back into play and the refs missed it hitting the player on the bench.

Sorry, no goal.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Go back to Richards and Carter.

OW,

Same question I asked the other guy, do you just turn the other cheek to how awful they both are defensively?

Richards and Carter this season were a dumpster fire in the defensive zone, this is the LA Kings we are talking about, the team is not going to play people together if they are a liability in the defensive zone, it goes against everything DL and DS preach.

Isn't this what everyone on here used to make fun of the Flyers under Laviolette for doing, going all in with offense and not caring at all about the defensive side of things? Now we want to pretend that Richards and Carter weren't awful defensively, I don't get it.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Wouldn't that be hilarious if someone got a two minute delay of game at Dodger Stadium with a big santa ana wind gust carrying the puck out over the glass?

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA

It's funny they spend the time reviewing goals that may have gone in (when the play keeps on going) and make the right call on that, yet don't review goals that may or may not have gone in off the netting. That's a system that will ultimately reward bad goals as we saw last night.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Common sense.

Too bad the NHL doesn't have any.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Common sense.

i blame Bettman, he has the authority to step and resolve a situation like this. instead - nothing. *** crickets. he will possibly at some point this week babble on about it being an unfortunate incident.

he's not a hockey guy. he didn't grow up with the game, play the game, or respect the game.

he's a *** suit that only cares about marketing a game that produces a profit.

a commissioner that actually loved, respected and was a steward of the game would look to make changes that are for the better of the game. the integrity of the game would always be at the forefront. the outcome of games, should never be the result of some botched mess.

the NFL had a hot mess last season with it's referees and they went into an immediate crisis mode to correct the problem. they knew the integrity of the games was being questioned, which lead to people questioning the on field product.

it would be fitting for the league to do nothing. at seasons end DET gets into the PO's and some team in the East gets bounced as a result.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Well to play devil's advocate here, the NFL has awful officiating issues right now, anyone watching these playoffs can tell you that.

And the NBA is corrupt through and through, anyone remember the Lakers-Kings series in 2002, it was pretty obvious atleast one of the officials in that game 7 wanted the Lakers to win, one of the blackest eyes in recent American sports history.

And baseball, well we all know about the issues baseball has.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well to play devil's advocate here, the NFL has awful officiating issues right now, anyone watching these playoffs can tell you that.

And the NBA is corrupt through and through, anyone remember the Lakers-Kings series in 2002, it was pretty obvious atleast one of the officials in that game 7 wanted the Lakers to win, one of the blackest eyes in recent American sports history.

...and the NFL is about to blow a call big time right now because who recovers a fumble in the field of play is not reviewable.

49er player strips Seahawk taking the ball away from him as they are going to the ground. 49er is clearly down with the ball in his possession, but is so severely injured on the play that he doesn't have the presence of mind to maintain possession as other players pile on. Terrible call by the on-field officials.

Almost poetic justice as Seattle fumbles again on the next play, but recovers it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, it was poetic justice as the second fumble was on 4th and goal.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago

the NFL still has problems, but it has improved. most of the crap now is due to them changing rules relating to contact. they have put far to many 'protection' type penalties into the games which in many cases are a judgement call by the ref.

sorry but it's football and it's the NFL. the players know what they are signing on for and what may possibly happen. stop legislating out what makes the game and the league what made it great. it is the risk they take each time they step on to the field.

that bad call on the fumble that just happened is an example of something they will review in the off season. the NFL seems to do a good job of tweaking and adapting their review process to cover more and more game situations.

HolyShot*

23-11-14
74-77-73
13/70-10-57
13/70-28-71/22/21

Never understood the 3 scoring lines thing. How do u put together a good team when a good chunk of payroll is allocated to 3 lines instead of 2. Its not really feasible.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
OW,

Same question I asked the other guy, do you just turn the other cheek to how awful they both are defensively?

Richards and Carter this season were a dumpster fire in the defensive zone, this is the LA Kings we are talking about, the team is not going to play people together if they are a liability in the defensive zone, it goes against everything DL and DS preach.

Isn't this what everyone on here used to make fun of the Flyers under Laviolette for doing, going all in with offense and not caring at all about the defensive side of things? Now we want to pretend that Richards and Carter weren't awful defensively, I don't get it.

I agree that Richards and Carter are not great defensively together, but I think its been overblown a bit around here. Like the world will end if they step foot on the ice together. They were a bloody mess with Frattin to start the year (where Frattin got that -7 everybody loved to quote), but then they proceeded on an even keel until Carter got hurt. They gave as much as they got, which was fine, and the PP wasn't in the pits either. So they were productive.

I'm more concerned about Kopitar needing a wakeup right now, he's going through the motions with or without Carter. Snap him out of it with some new wingers, either his old buddies Brown and Williams or maybe Toffoli, or a grinder or two just to mix it up. It's worked for him in the past in short spurts. Basically give him the "Richards treatment" of a revolving door of wingers and see what sticks. Kopitar, even when sucking, can put up points, so its a low risk high reward move if he sparks a linemate or two.

Carter isn't doing much with Kopitar right now at regular even strength, and Richards and Carter are pretty good at scoring goals together, so run with that in the short term and see what happens. Its a risk I'm comfortable with.

Ron*

Common sense.

image.php

Oh no you didn't.

You didn't just post a pic of Douglas Sherman as your avatar! :laugh:

KingKopitar11*

I'd love to see Kopitar and Toffoli together Toffoli does a few things better than Carter imo, Toffoli has better play making abilities and is more aware of the players around him, I think Toffoli will help Kopitar get going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad