GDT: #49 – Sabres at Canadiens – Tue Jan 31, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I wonder what on earth this could be attributed to....... :popcorn:

ROR w/ ennis: 66:56 TOI 5 on 5, 42.5% cf%
ROR w/ carrier: 127:30 TOI 5 on 5, 55.7% cf%

ROR was invisible before Ennis came back aside from a backhand goal. Ennis made everything worse, hes a shell of his former self.

I didn't think anyone had a great game other than Girgensons, Carrier, Reinhart, and Eichel.

Thought Lehner was actually pretty good to keep them at 5 goals sadly.

Franson, Bogosian, and Foligno were LOL bad.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It is so frustrating to see fast teams like Montreal find space for guys like Paul Byron, but Eichel can't get any space.

I get what you're saying but that's a tough comparison. Teams focus on Eichel in a way they never will on a Paul Byron. Which makes it a lot easier for Byron to find space to get open.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ennis has obviously been garbage. That doesn't take O'Reilly completely off the hook for playing poorly himself.

I agree that he hasn't played his best hockey in a few games. Something looks off with him, too. He doesn't look as explosive as he normally does. Wonder how dinged up he is

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I get what you're saying but that's a tough comparison. Teams focus on Eichel in a way they never will on a Paul Byron. Which makes it a lot easier for Byron to find space to get open.
Imagine Eichel's stats if he could play against the sabres every night. :laugh:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Just put Eichel-ROR-Reinhart together and let the other lines suffer it out. If all they do is play a defensive no chances system, it shouldn't matter..

Eichel-ROR-Reinhart
Kane-Girgs-Gionta
Folingo-Ennis-Okposo
misfit toys

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree that he hasn't played his best hockey in a few games. Something looks off with him, too. He doesn't look as explosive as he normally does. Wonder how dinged up he is

I would imagine a system that relies as heavily on individuals, particularly the top players, to make things happen is grinding ROR down. When you factor in the amount of minutes that are thrown at him, its not surprising he looks tired at times. I love him as a player but think its crazy to play him as much as Disco does. He's playing about 2mins a night more than he did in Colorado

Last edited:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I would imagine a system that relies as heavily on individuals, particularly the top players, to make things happen is grinding ROR down. When you factor in the amount of minutes that are thrown at him, its not surprising he looks tired at times. I love him as a player but think its crazy to play him as much as Disco does. He's playing about 2mins a night more than he did in Colorado

And he led their forwards in TOI by over a minute in '14-'15. Which makes it ever crazier.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
And this has compounded our depth issues because rather than letting those players gain traction, we're playing 75-85% of O'Reilly in those minutes instead.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
And he led their forwards in TOI by over a minute in '14-'15. Which makes it ever crazier.

On top of all this, Bylsma said he recognized he needed to cut back on RoR's minutes during training camp/preseason...and has instead stubbornly refused to try that concept out for even a handful of games.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
I loved Franson's break-out pass sniping Okposo's ankle: bad breakout kills players and the puck ends up in the back of our net anyway.

The hockey gods were gifting us a live metaphor for Disco's breakout & system at large.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Yeah, this is about right. I'm a proponent of riding in on the horses that get you there, but there is a difference between doing that effectively and being insane about it. Bylsma falls towards the latter.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Yup. He's repeating last year's mistakes with ROR and Risto -- overplaying them. They're tired, and it shows. You cant lean that heavily on just a couple players over an 82 game season.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I dont see a big issue in giving risto 35 mins in an extreme case like injury, but you cannot give him 30 minutes the very next night, he hasnt been even close to the same player since

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yeah, this is about right. I'm a proponent of riding in on the horses that get you there, but there is a difference between doing that effectively and being insane about it. Bylsma falls towards the latter.

The issue is that we don't have the defensive horses to not ride Risto, AND Dan also doesn't trust anybody else back there and it might be for good reason. Unfortunately for us, Gorges would probably be the other guy Dan would trust.

At least with the forwards, he has more than ROR to trust, but unfortunately for us, those players are COR, Moulson, and Gionta.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
On top of all this, Bylsma said he recognized he needed to cut back on RoR's minutes during training camp/preseason...and has instead stubbornly refused to try that concept out for even a handful of games.

That seems to be a continuing trend with Dan. He'll talk about something that needs to be changed, will often make the change needed, but then over a period of time just stops doing it and goes back to the way he's always done things. He's been doing this in various ways since he got here.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'd love to see Risto play 22 minutes a night, and ROR to be sub 20. But we don't have near enough depth on the backend

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Nobody started a UUU thread yet?

It was just a case of running into a team with better forwards, better defense, better goaltending, better depth, better coaching, better effort, better management in a better stadium with better ice serving better beer.

Other than that, the Sabres were fine.

Ding, Ding, Ding...... And yes, we have a winner!!! :yo:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The issue is that we don't have the defensive horses to not ride Risto, AND Dan also doesn't trust anybody else back there and it might be for good reason. Unfortunately for us, Gorges would probably be the other guy Dan would trust.

At least with the forwards, he has more than ROR to trust, but unfortunately for us, those players are COR, Moulson, and Gionta.

I have no problems with how we've used Risto. He can handle it. It's way more unrealistic to ask what we ask of ROR as a forward.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I have no problems with how we've used Risto. He can handle it. It's way more unrealistic to ask what we ask of ROR as a forward.

Debatable. He was really really good for like 20 games but lately he's been mediocre to bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad