GDT: #49 – Sabres at Canadiens – Tue Jan 31, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Call me crazy, but I don't think the correct usage of "teflon" is a coach not getting fired after a 7-5-1 month.

But, hey, when in Rome, right?

True. It's a good thing, when coaches get fired, the GM's look at the entire body of work since getting hired. Not just a month or two.

I think Byslma survives the season. After that... not so confident of his chances. :dunno:

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
True. It's a good thing, when coaches get fired, the GM's look at the entire body of work since getting hired. Not just a month or two.

I think Byslma survives the season. After that... not so confident of his chances. :dunno:

For me personally, its the years of work I've had to endure. I really hoped he would have learnt after his last firing but he hasn't. No need to mention the systems in play he just keeps making blatantly poor decisions which most beer league coaches wouldnt make.

but then theres Dan.....

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
For me personally, its the years of work I've had to endure. I really hoped he would have learnt after his last firing but he hasn't. No need to mention the systems in play he just keeps making blatantly poor decisions which most beer league coaches wouldnt make.

but then theres Dan.....

My problem is, a good chunk of games we win seem to come down to:

-Talented players stepping up

-Goaltenders standing on their heads

I can't think of very many wins where I've identified the coaching staff as a major contributing factor, i.e. "Wow, our gameplan really took advantage of the other team's weaknesses" or "We negated their main method of attacking on offense by switching it up and doing X on defense and in transition."

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia

I can't think of very many wins where I've identified the coaching staff as a major contributing factor, i.e. "Wow, our gameplan really took advantage of the other team's weaknesses" or "We negated their main method of attacking on offense by switching it up and doing X on defense and in transition."

I totally agree, for the good chunk of games we have won, we have only won because someone has had to do something amazing which is totally unsustainable.

Also i havent watched tonights game as yet (i'll grind through it after work) but i dont understand DB using Foligno like a prime Chris Kunitz - its not working.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I had a feeling that this team would take a step back after the all-star break. Then I realized that they hadn't really taken a full step forward prior to the break. I guess it was all illusionary and now we are back to reality.

A very difficult game to watch............

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I had a feeling that this team would take a step back after the all-star break. Then I realized that they hadn't really taken a full step forward prior to the break. I guess it was all illusionary and now we are back to reality.

A very difficult game to watch............

I agree but half agree while having visions of better times I knew wouldn't come while thinking bettter times may come but are unlikely to come...did I do this right?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
First game I've missed watching this season. I never thought we were in the playoff race, it's how and why we lose that concerns me. I really want to go into next season with optimism but if Bylsma's still running the team I can't be. Most likely we'll be healthier next season, the kids will be one more season developed, a deletion/addition or two - whether we're a few games over .500 or not we'll still be mediocre. Not all on Bylsma, these are Murray's players.

I see Jack had 6 shots on goal off 9 attempts - he now leads the league at 4.25 shots on goal.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
It has more to do with a certain teams playing style then our team stepping up.
There's no guaranteed points for the Sabres of course, but they usually play well against the Rangers this season, amongst a few other teams.
Expect a good game on Thursday, i for one will, but am not falling again and getting my hopes up. I hope they prove me wrong, because the playoffs are still within reach with a quality record.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I totally agree, for the good chunk of games we have won, we have only won because someone has had to do something amazing which is totally unsustainable.

Also i havent watched tonights game as yet (i'll grind through it after work) but i dont understand DB using Foligno like a prime Chris Kunitz - its not working.

Yeah, foligno's been a step behind Jack and Sam pretty much the entire time he's played with them. Idk who else you try there, though. If Larsson wasn't injured I would be ok with seeing girgs-eichel-sam

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Nobody started a UUU thread yet?

It was just a case of running into a team with better forwards, better defense, better goaltending, better depth, better coaching, better effort, better management in a better stadium with better ice serving better beer.

Other than that, the Sabres were fine.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

I would agree with this. Too many of our wins come from individual efforts (usually parlaying into some sort of confidence boost and other players get involved) and goaltending keeping us alive. That's doesn't seem sustainable. Not a whole lot of "team" stuff involved, and its hard to imagine guys who have been playing hockey their entire lives suddenly forgot how to play on a team... some of it, at least, is the coaching/system or lack thereof.

Last edited:

Everlast22

NICE STICK
Sep 19, 2013
Indianapolis
Eichel may be have a nagging injury going on, but I think he needs to understand that he is the future of this team. He has a really lax attitude about him. I wish I would see him grind his teeth or something. Sabres defense sucks. That is our biggest problem. Bogs is having rough going, as well as Jorges.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Eichel may be have a nagging injury going on, but I think he needs to understand that he is the future of this team. He has a really lax attitude about him. I wish I would see him grind his teeth or something. Sabres defense sucks. That is our biggest problem. Bogs is having rough going, as well as Jorges.
Don't expect anything different from Eichel. This is his game. He gets 4+ shots a game. I wish every player was this lax.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Why? Because he didn't get points last night? He was literally the only player doing anything.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Defense was really jumpy. I think they may have been trying out some different break outs to counter MTL speed and defense. Maybe the guys were thinking too much. Lots of mistakes.:dunno:

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
ROR has earned a lot of wiggle room, but he sure hasn't been great recently, and he was really bad yesterday.

I wonder what on earth this could be attributed to....... :popcorn:

ROR w/ ennis: 66:56 TOI 5 on 5, 42.5% cf%
ROR w/ carrier: 127:30 TOI 5 on 5, 55.7% cf%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad