Post-Game Talk: #48 | FLYERS 3 at Red Wings 2 (OT) | Tue, Jan. 23, 2018, 7:30 pm ET

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
They played a stinker but still won - take that.

But it is very frustrating to see the usual suspect make the same mistakes, whether it be Manning screwing up coverage, lame-brain turnovers by Filp, or going into a defensive shell (coaching). It sucks that we are in a position where we need to choose to either tolerate this crap to make the playoffs or put playoffs at risk to develop for the future. This is what makes me angry, because being more proactive with the younger players earlier in the season - Lindblom vs.Weiss/Lehtera, Vecc/Vorobyov vs. Filp, Sanheim vs Manning - and we might be in a position to make a push with these kids. Instead we have veterans who either have no upside or are way past their primes.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
They played a stinker but still won - take that.

But it is very frustrating to see the usual suspect make the same mistakes, whether it be Manning screwing up coverage, lame-brain turnovers by Filp, or going into a defensive shell (coaching). It sucks that we are in a position where we need to choose to either tolerate this crap to make the playoffs or put playoffs at risk to develop for the future. This is what makes me angry, because being more proactive with the younger players earlier in the season - Lindblom vs.Weiss/Lehtera, Vecc/Vorobyov vs. Filp, Sanheim vs Manning - and we might be in a position to make a push with these kids. Instead we have veterans who either have no upside or are way past their primes.
The first half was mismanaged to the point that we are in a lesser spot no matter what now.

I am still holding out that the plan was to give lindblom and Vecc until th all star break to acclimate and then bring them up no matter how well they play. Morin at least they tried to bring him up but his season is cursed. If I see some of these things made right then I will really give Hak a break. He is such a slow learner and is learning in the job, but if he can correct a few major oversights then he can be a very good coach imo.

Reactions: Patrick Division

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Well, I can’t believe they won, but I’ll take it though! Thanks Bertuzzi! That was one ugly win.

It’s a good thing we won, I was close to losing my shit over some of the stupid plays from the guys (Filp and Lehtera especially). Not many guys I would say had a “good” game I would say though. Provy had a pretty bad game, hopefully he bounces back.

Also amazing how losing one player causes the whole lineup to implode. It was a mess out there. I hope they bring up someone if Raffl is out, otherwise we I am not looking forward to watching the next game...

Anyways, let’s take the W and move on to TB, which will be a huge test.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think the correct spelling was taken already. I could be wrong, if so, I wonder if a Mod can fix it for me.

Honestly, while the boards have been tough, they have been more fair in acknowledging good things. There is a contingent group on Twitter that is just full bore, it almost seems like they'd rather be right about Hakstol and lose out, then win the cup. Like for example, I listen to the BSH Podcast regularly, they have been non-stop cry babies there for months, they even dedicated one episode to not complaining and looking at the positives. Well that went ****ing awful, they complained for about 45 mins and finally said something good about Couts/Voracek/Giroux in the final 15.
Podcast lol. More like gimmick of a show, where they have two of them trying their best JR Milbury impression. Really nothing of substance ever is said there and Oconners overly pc takes are just bad. He should stick to writing.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
On topic to the game - is there some genetic damage in the Bertuzzi family? The kid is a blockhead just like his uncle was.
I think it was more of a luck breaking our way big time. There were two challenges in our goals that both went out way red wings hitting post, eliotts chest, missing or downright flailing at times. We did our best to give them a chance to win and it looks like it just wasn't in the cards for them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There can't be many (any?) previous games where the Flyers won and Manning & MacDonald both put the puck in the net.

And has there ever been a team to win 10 straight and miss the playoffs one season, then lose 10 straight and make the playoffs the next season?

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
There can't be many (any?) previous games where the Flyers won and Manning & MacDonald both put the puck in the net.

And has there ever been a team to win 10 straight and miss the playoffs one season, then lose 10 straight and make the playoffs the next season?
The Flyers were the first team to win 10 straight and miss the playoffs, so that would be a first as well.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Podcast lol. More like gimmick of a show, where they have two of them trying their best JR Milbury impression. Really nothing of substance ever is said there and Oconners overly pc takes are just bad. He should stick to writing.

At one point it was fine, but I agree with you know. It's f***ing theatrics with 3/4 of the panel screaming FIRE HAKSTOL regardless of the basis. Like I said, they have their POV, it'll NEVER change. I mean one of them screamed that Hakstol was to blame for all of the failures last year. Now it's them winning DESPITE him. Like come on, that's just f***ing ridiculous, I don't think he's coach of the year, but for christ sakes, several players are having career years and now it's the players who are doing it, last year, when they sucked, you couldn't blame the players at all for it.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
a win is a win....that was ugly. Speaking of ugly, i know you guys don't like Weise but when you see him in the parking lot at eagles games, i'd advise you not to punch him. Two weeks in a row!

I couldn't figure out what was going on with the lines and d pairs, was manning actually benched? i know raffl was hurt.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Manning is now the 6th defenseman, getting 15 minutes a night while Gudas is getting close to 20 minutes.
It's a long season, things change.

Reactions: JXC

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Not possible since the Flyers are the only team in NHL history to win 10 in a row and miss :laugh:

Dave Hakstol, "History Will Be Made"

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Another game with only 1 allowed and only 21 shots allowed too. This is becoming a pleasant habit, our defense is really stepping up and nobody is talking about it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Manning is now the 6th defenseman, getting 15 minutes a night while Gudas is getting close to 20 minutes.
It's a long season, things change.
But it should have been that way all along.

As Appleyard has said, Hak seems to eventually make certain changes to help us, he just takes a very long time to do so.

TK to 3vs3
TK to top line
Manning not on the PP
Manning not in the top 4 over Gudas
AMAc not on the top pair
etc...

We are winning, and I will take the wins. But the good news is that there are more moves that both coach and GM can make that can make us better.

Last night was an ugly win. Bertuzzi could have put that game away for Detroit if he could hit an open net. But a win is a win. On to the Tampa game.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m pretty sure Gudas has been playing hurt since preseason & gutting it out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Another game with only 1 allowed and only 21 shots allowed too. This is becoming a pleasant habit, our defense is really stepping up and nobody is talking about it.

Because MacDonald, Manning and Hagg suck, therefore we can't be playing good defense.
It's simple logic.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But it should have been that way all along.

As Appleyard has said, Hak seems to eventually make certain changes to help us, he just takes a very long time to do so.

TK to 3vs3
TK to top line
Manning not on the PP
Manning not in the top 4 over Gudas
AMAc not on the top pair
etc...

We are winning, and I will take the wins. But the good news is that there are more moves that both coach and GM can make that can make us better.

Last night was an ugly win. Bertuzzi could have put that game away for Detroit if he could hit an open net. But a win is a win. On to the Tampa game.

Some are dictated by players:

TK blocked by Voracek on the 1st line, never was a good fit elsewhere (best on the 4th line)
Voracek off the first line to upgrade 2nd/3rd line, but this has hurt his production a bit.
Raffl off the 4th line to upgrade 2nd/3rd line, but weakened 4th line
Patrick and Weal finally getting healthy has dictated the success of the 3rd line
Switching to the 1-2-2 to protect the young defensemen
Knob has been trying different combinations on the 2nd PP once Couts settled into Schenn's spot on the 1st PP
Gudas started slow, baby, suspension, injury? Playing much better the last few weeks and back to his normal usage
Ghost bought into the scheme (playing responsible defense) and was promoted to the 1st pair.
Sanheim showed he wasn't ready and demoted to AHL to work on his game instead of buried on 3rd pair.

Some things are hard to fix, there is no replacement for Filppula right now.
Sanheim and Myers aren't quite ready for primetime, Morin is made of glass.
Lindblom's top 9 spots are taken by Raffl, who earned his promotion, or Weal, who is playing like the end of last season

Some things will change, I don't think Goul will be playing 5 minutes forever, either he'll show he can handle PK duties and a 4th line shift or eventually he'll be replaced by Leier or NAK or Raffl returning to the 4th line.
Lehtera will be pushed out at some point.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
That’s because there is only one explanation for it, and stating that explanation requires giving kudos to the coaching staff, and that is frowned upon here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad