Post-Game Talk: #46 Wild 4 at FLYERS 7, Monday, Jan. 14, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
when watching jvr play, i hope people can seperate the production from the bad. JVR is a guy who will produce points, but his play will never help you win games. He is so bad in his own zone
That whole line stinks in the dzone.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
"Player turnover" for the hive has meant getting rid of veteran scrubs, which has always been meaningless, because the only reason the veteran scrubs were playing was the lack of young talent (due to 10 years of bad drafting and trading draft picks, Edmonton is in the same hole).

Hakstol made the playoffs twice, and Berube once, with what is now self-evidently a core that can't carry a team.
They did so with a conservative style that hid the talent limitations of this team.
They've opened up a bit under Gordon and they're 4-8-2 despite better goaltending. 30/44 GF/GA.
A better coach might get a little more out of this team, but they're still the island of misfit toys.
Hextall was trying to hold the fort until reinforcements arrived, but the barbarians got him.

The Wild dominated play:
60.61 Corsi
22/16 SCF/CA
10/8 HDCF/CA
Hart was shaky in the 1st period, but kept them in the game the rest of the way as he was peppered.

Some bad performances:
TK 17.65 Corsi, 2/16 SCF/CA, 1/8 HDCF/CA
JVR 25.00 Corsi, 5/16 SCF/CA, 3/8 HDCF/CA
Giroux 26.47 Corsi, 5/15 SCF/CA, 3/8 HDCF/CA

Hagg 31.25 Corsi, 4/10 SCF/CA, 2/5 HDCF/CA
Gudas 32.14 Corsi, 4/8 SCF/CA, 2/4 HDCF/CA

I'm starting to wonder if some combinations aren't being dictated by Fletcher, or at least suggested, in order to evaluate players in different roles to see who fits going forward before he starts moving people out, both at the TDL and in June.
The combos are certainly being dictated by fletcher.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Laughton hasnt done anything and soft also. Standards are low now boy.
He’s one of many who should be shipped out. Does nothing particularly well except maybe faceoffs, but he’s not good defensively or offensively at center so he’s just another of many ineffective Flyers.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He’s one of many who should be shipped out. Does nothing particularly well except maybe faceoffs, but he’s not good defensively or offensively at center so he’s just another of many ineffective Flyers.
lots of this is gonna get whacked and I can hardly wait. That game sucked last night and again we were lucky.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
lots of this is gonna get whacked and I can hardly wait. That game sucked last night and again we were lucky.
Terrible hockey played by both teams; Flyers had a ton of luck go their way (a rarity this season).

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Happy for some energy and a win but the pessimist in me has to acknowledge that I've always thought Dubnyk was a pretty below average goaltender.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
WE’RE BACK BOYS
PLAYOFF TIME

But for real, great game by most of the team. Especially JVR and Patrick.

Hagg and MacDonald are honestly some of the worst players I’ve ever seen. **** them both.

I just don't see why we have to play MacDonald. What the heck are these guys seeing out there/what dirt does he have on them?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
And for those who want to lend any credence to the joke that is the NHL’s official giveaway stats, they had the Flyers’ defensemen combining for only 4 giveaways; no individual defenseman with more than 1; & AMac with zero. But go ahead — act like my criticism of NHL giveaway stats is based on prejudice.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
And for those who want to lend any credence to the joke that is the NHL’s official giveaway stats, they had the Flyers’ defensemen combining for only 4 giveaways; no individual defenseman with more than 1; & AMac with zero. But go ahead — act like my criticism of NHL giveaway stats is based on prejudice.
D played fine considering no forwards back check or take a man in the d zone.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Hagg and AMac were terrible last night. The biggest impact Hagg had was running over a player without the puck and running our own goalie twice, both resulting in the puck in the back of the net (one wavied off).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The first line was also terrible, which is why I don't want Giroux at center, I just don't think it's a viable long-term strategy, especially against big, talented lines.
If you're gonna have G at center and TK on the RW, get them a physical LW who plays defense, like Lindblom.
But right now it looks like lines are mix and match the rest of the season so Fletcher can get an idea of players' "raw value."
Next year, hopefully if Patrick can build on this season, and Frost is the real deal, G can move back to LW.

Gudas was bad as well, he makes mobile D-men better but also needs them to take the pressure of handling the puck off him, which is why he's not a true top 4 D-man, he's "partner dependent." Folin is sort of a "mini Gudas," in that he's competent when paired with a puck mover, but not with someone like Hagg.

Things will look different with Myers and Friedman up, both RHD, both capable of moving the puck, so you can pair them with Morin and Hagg without wincing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was actually at the game. I'm here in the U.S. accompanying my nephew who is applying to some universities in the region (Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, and Columbia). We bought the tickets via StubHub, and I had so much fun at the game. We also went to Jim's Steaks on South Street before the game! I love those cheese steaks with fried onions!
I was very surprised to see Jori Lethera playing. I thought he was over in Finland facing jail time.

You picked the right game and the right cheese steak joint!

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
giphy.gif

Haha sorry mate, that comment wasn't about ignoring you ;)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Again....NO ONE is saything the stats are right that they keep.

The issue is you saying that Ghost and Provy would be #1 and #2 in turnovers IF they were kept right. You have absolutely no proof to say that because you have no idea what happens in every other game in the league and how many turnovers those games have.

Understand now? Or will you once again ignore this and keep saying dumb shit like "most people were saying Hak was the issue"....when 100 times it has been pointed out that Hak was ONE of the issues that we had 4 years of evidence that he was not going to get better.

Sigh...now I need to go do work.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Again....NO ONE is saything the stats are right that they keep.

The issue is you saying that Ghost and Provy would be #1 and #2 in turnovers IF they were kept right. You have absolutely no proof to say that because you have no idea what happens in every other game in the league and how many turnovers those games have.

Understand now? Or will you once again ignore this and keep saying dumb **** like "most people were saying Hak was the issue"....when 100 times it has been pointed out that Hak was ONE of the issues that we had 4 years of evidence that he was not going to get better.

Sigh...now I need to go do work.
So you are making up an argument on my behalf & then criticizing me for it. Nice.

Reactions: Johnk0728

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
????

No. I am repeating what has already been said to you before by others including myself yet you choose to ignore. Maybe you won't this time.
What’re you talking about? You are speculating that I would make a certain argument & bashing me for it. I.e., you are criticizing me for something that never happened — a hypothetical situation you made up. That’s as straw man as it gets.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What’re you talking about? You are speculating that I would make a certain argument & bashing me for it. I.e., you are criticizing me for something that never happened — a hypothetical situation you made up. That’s as straw man as it gets.
Hypothetical???? No...you have repeatedly said that if the NHL kept the stats correctly, Ghost and Provy would be #1 and #2 in turnovers.

Or are you saying you have never said that?

And I am saying you have no proof of that so are blowing smoke out your ass, again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad